GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TESLA. BEYOND LUDICROUS MODE. PLAID.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Insane performance!!

I think the only thing limiting faster times are the tires. Same for top speed records.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Insane performance!!

I think the only thing limiting faster times are the tires. Same for top speed records.
Nope. According to Musk, rocket boosters are next.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
The numbers are insane!

For that kind of money, I’d still buy a used 911 turbo S, though.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
All that performance and over 500 miles on a charge.

....and a $140k price tag...........and only an hour and a half or so to 'refuel' IF you find a Supercharger.

Score.

LMAO

He needs to stop wasting time and money building toys for the rich and get his ass in gear building me my Mars base.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
....and a $140k price tag...........and only an hour and a half or so to 'refuel' IF you find a Supercharger.

Score.

LMAO

He needs to stop wasting time and money building toys for the rich and get his ass in gear building me my Mars base.

There's supercharger stations all across the US. And with 500 plus miles of range an owner doesn't need to worry about it. Plus most of the buyers in that price range have home chargers.

Keep in mind for Musk to invest in a Mars mission he needs to make some profit along the way.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
There's supercharger stations all across the US. And with 500 plus miles of range an owner doesn't need to worry about it. Plus most of the buyers in that price range have home chargers.

They don't have to worry about it.......unless they want to go more than 250 miles from their house while driving like a Prius. ;)

Again, there are a lot of Superchargers but no where near as plentiful as gas stations and there's still no way to address the 75+ minute time to charge. A household still has to have another vehicle for vacations or trips which yes at this price range is assured anyway but again, these are toys and virtue signalling objects.

Keep in mind for Musk to invest in a Mars mission he needs to make some profit along the way.

Right, but how much profit is there in the niche market of 6 figure supercars? Profit would be in perfecting the production of the Model 3s and churning out high production numbers (which would require sales interest to be there for that number as well which brings us back to the whole charging and normal families issue). Audi doesn't churn profits selling the R8. One could argue making these fantastical cars makes press and drives interest but if you think past the marketing hype, I mean Tesla and what they do isn't really an unknown that needs massive press to get the word out.

Profit would also be not wasting money shooting a Tesla Roadster out to Mars. lol

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I looked at a Tesla before buying the TDI. Still out of my price range used but I’d definitely daily one.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Lots of misinformation going on here.

Tesla is famously known for not having an ad budget. Their press is a side effect of consumer demand and hype. To date, not many can find a single actual ad or media spot purchased by Tesla for any of his companies.

The range thing was an issue maybe 7-ish years ago. Employers are laying down free charging stations as a perk and zero need to drive it like a Prius. Had the 3P at Pocono for a day’s event with HOD and left with 30%. Advancements in regenerative braking, software and core battery tech. nulled those issues long ago. Yes there are more pumps than charging stations but consider that nearly every Airbnb/VRBO is a charging station via the 110v charging cable included with every car... Sure, 110v is slow but any standard plug in the US is fuel.

While Model 3 and P100D (and now Plaid) markets are eons apart, Tesla isn’t expecting to pull in 130k buyers for their 130k car. They are pulling in anyone north of an $80k car that runs the depreciation numbers and realizes it’s a wash. Many a fanatical FBO on corn R35 owners threw in the towel when the P100 dropped. VAG is feeling it, does an RS5/7 make sense at all outside of purists? Does it make sense to buy a new AWD BMW M5 for $120k only to get smoked unless you toss it’s warranty out the door?

The nail for me is the total lack of ownership and modification journey. They are software that comes with some hardware and while over the air feature releases are astonishing to 99% of their owners, for me (old fashioned) it’s borderline invasive. That and, as mentioned in a previous post, they accelerate almost to quickly and smoothly. It’s like the term “euro speed” force multiplied by 100 to the extent that after having fun for a bit it’s like beating a video game and your left with that’s it, it’s all over. Nothing much is faster and this is what it looks and feels like. So yeah, R daily for me ftmfw but Tesla makes a sh*t ton of sense to just about anyone with more than 30k who isn’t an enthusiast.