GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The classy alcoholics thread

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Trying some new stuff today. Steelbound brewing and distillery out of Ellicotville NY. Cracking into the Rye tonight. Gonna be a great Saturday
PXL_20210508_230650630.jpg

bentin

Autocross Champion
I love ryes, I like them a little hotter than 40% generally, but standard proof can still be really, really good.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Ha, I bought a case of Sam Adams Triple Bock when I was in college. Not the best use of funds. Also not a particularly good beer. I've had a few cases of DFH 120 Minute, much, much better.
My friend and I did an aging experiment with 120. Bought a 12 pack to age and drank a bottle each every year. 3-4 years is the sweet spot. You wouldn't believe how much it mellows out, it's worth sitting on for a few years. After the 4 year mark, it started to lose flavor and pick up some cardboard tasting notes, still good, but past it's prime.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
My friend and I did an aging experiment with 120. Bought a 12 pack to age and drank a bottle each every year. 3-4 years is the sweet spot. You wouldn't believe how much it mellows out, it's worth sitting on for a few years. After the 4 year mark, it started to lose flavor and pick up some cardboard tasting notes, still good, but past it's prime.

Maybe I should break out my 2017s. Honestly, I should probably drink some of my cellar beers instead of sitting on them for 4+ years

bentin

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I took about five years to drink it all and it certainly got more approachable after the second year or so.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
My current liquor collection is lacking a bit, but some fun stuff in it still. I've met very few whiskeys I didn't like; scotch, rye, bourbon and standard whiskey are all great in my book. Anyone else do distillery tastings at home? It's fun to get 2 styles or ages and see how they compare.
PXL_20210514_192234870.jpg

My wine collection is doing great though. If you want to age anything, a built in cellar is a good investment.
PXL_20210514_191642960.jpg

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
I love the Ardbeg 10. The unpronounceable one is good too.
The Corryvreckan? That's the only one there I haven't opened yet. Been saving it for a special occasion. Ardbeg 10 is fantastic though; like sipping on a beach side campfire.

bentin

Autocross Champion
The Corryvreckan? That's the only one there I haven't opened yet. Been saving it for a special occasion. Ardbeg 10 is fantastic though; like sipping on a beach side campfire.
Yep, it's nice, but I tend to be a bit of an Epstein when it comes to liquor (and only liquor.) I like the 10 more. I also love Oban and Lagavulin, not sure that I could pick a favorite.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
My current liquor collection is lacking a bit, but some fun stuff in it still. I've met very few whiskeys I didn't like; scotch, rye, bourbon and standard whiskey are all great in my book. Anyone else do distillery tastings at home? It's fun to get 2 styles or ages and see how they compare.
View attachment 213529

My wine collection is doing great though. If you want to age anything, a built in cellar is a good investment.
View attachment 213530
How are the Jameson variants? I'd seen them at my local package, but wasn't sure what to make of them.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
How are the Jameson variants? I'd seen them at my local package, but wasn't sure what to make of them.
Really good for the price. They're nowhere near as complex as a higher end whiskey, but the stout and IPA really come through. The stout one has a nice toasty malty flavor and the IPA one has a hoppy smell to it more so than tasting like it. And like all Jamison, there's no rough edges.