GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The classy alcoholics thread

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Now see I thought they still smoothed out over time even in the bottle? I could be totally wrong though so feel free to correct me lol
They still mellow out, but the flavor they have coming out of the barrel is largely set. Could be wrong, and frequently am, but that's my understanding of it. Only been on 1 distillery tour, so I may have misunderstood

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Templeton is my go-to Rye for Old Fashioneds. If I'm drinking whiskey neat it'll usually be a Scotch, I don't love most of the Islay stuff, Cholaraseptic mouth spray comes to mind when I drink certain Islay Scotches.

Colorado was mentioned, if you get some Colorado whiskey I would suggest Laws, everything I've had of theirs has been very good!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
They still mellow out, but the flavor they have coming out of the barrel is largely set. Could be wrong, and frequently am, but that's my understanding of it. Only been on 1 distillery tour, so I may have misunderstood

Well, they are different from like wine where you NEED to let it sit in the bottle for years, depending on the quality. If you're buying it at the grocery store just drink it. Wine still retains tannin's in the bottle and that's probably a lot of the reason, plus a different type of alcohol being distilled from fruit. No expert there either but do collect and enjoy wines as well. I've had several bottles where I tasted them when bottled at the winery, bought a few bottles and drank one after a few years, then another several years later. Really good wine will actually be completely different if you drink them 3 years old and again 20 years old, it's crazy. lol

Scotch/Whiskey I have also heard they are what they are when they get bottled, the glass of 1994 I drank at the pub was still listed as a 17 year old. You are supposed to keep them in cooler temps (like 60F) and out of sunlight like you do with wine. If I could keep a bottle more than a month LOL I'd probably get a second wine cooler and use it for Scotch. Keep mine in a bottom cabinet in the kitchen normally.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Well, they are different from like wine where you NEED to let it sit in the bottle for years, depending on the quality. If you're buying it at the grocery store just drink it. Wine still retains tannin's in the bottle and that's probably a lot of the reason, plus a different type of alcohol being distilled from fruit. No expert there either but do collect and enjoy wines as well. I've had several bottles where I tasted them when bottled at the winery, bought a few bottles and drank one after a few years, then another several years later. Really good wine will actually be completely different if you drink them 3 years old and again 20 years old, it's crazy. lol

Scotch/Whiskey I have also heard they are what they are when they get bottled, the glass of 1994 I drank at the pub was still listed as a 17 year old. You are supposed to keep them in cooler temps (like 60F) and out of sunlight like you do with wine. If I could keep a bottle more than a month LOL I'd probably get a second wine cooler and use it for Scotch. Keep mine in a bottom cabinet in the kitchen normally.
This is true of some wines, but not all. Whites, and reds like garnacha are usually better consumed new. Garnacha, for example, is pretty transparent as far as red wines go, and is very sensitive to light, it doesn't age as well as heavier reds.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Yeah, should have said Red wines, that's pretty much all I drink other than an occasional Chardonnay. I like my wine like I like my beer/ale.........impossible to see through. LOL Garnacha is more of a Rose' technically right?

When I say wine I stick to Merlot, Cab's, and Petite Verdot mostly. Love me a good Sangiovese too.

Damint, now I'm thirsty. LOL

Saabingti

Autocross Champion

And keep em on their sides or even slightly downwards, similar to wine. Back a couple years ago, my grandmother found an unopened bottle of some sort of "special" Jameson in her cabinet that was probably 25-30 years old. She gave it to me since she wasn't a whiskey drinker and I was so excited... until I went to pull the cork out and the bottom third fell into the liquid, the top third came with my hand, and the middle third stayed put. Between the cork floaties and 25 years of oxidation we ended up drain pouring it :(

Yeah, should have said Red wines, that's pretty much all I drink other than an occasional Chardonnay. I like my wine like I like my beer/ale.........impossible to see through. LOL Garnacha is more of a Rose' technically right?

When I say wine I stick to Merlot, Cab's, and Petite Verdot mostly. Love me a good Sangiovese too.

Damint, now I'm thirsty. LOL

I am not a sommelier - but I think Garnacha is a red that just uses one type of grape? I see it associated with Riojas pretty frequently. Speaking of... Riojas 🤤 🤤 🤤 🤤 🤤

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
And keep em on their sides or even slightly downwards, similar to wine. Back a couple years ago, my grandmother found an unopened bottle of some sort of "special" Jameson in her cabinet that was probably 25-30 years old. She gave it to me since she wasn't a whiskey drinker and I was so excited... until I went to pull the cork out and the bottom third fell into the liquid, the top third came with my hand, and the middle third stayed put. Between the cork floaties and 25 years of oxidation we ended up drain pouring it :(

This is the saddest story I've heard in ages...

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
PXL_20210126_231624963.PORTRAIT.jpg

Looks like I'm killing this bottle tonight.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion

I am not a sommelier - but I think Garnacha is a red that just uses one type of grape? I see it associated with Riojas pretty frequently. Speaking of... Riojas 🤤 🤤 🤤 🤤 🤤
Correct. I won't hijack a lovely whiskey thread, and turn it into a wine thread, but Garnacha (Grenache) is a grape that is used a lot in Rioja wines. It's fruity, but not sweet, and relatively transparent compared to bolder reds. It is not a rose, but is used as a blending grape with a lot of other grapes, so I'm sure you'll find it in roses. It tends to have a pretty high alcohol content, and in my opinion is a very reliable grape to get tasty inexpensive wines from. Unlike Pinot Noir, for example which is so tough to grow that cheap Pinots should be avoided.

This thread inspired me to pick up a bottle of Suntory Whisky Toki last night, this is a perfect whisky for anyone trying to get into the spirit, it's very easy to drink, doesn't have the "bite" of a rye, or the smoke/peat of a Islay Scotch. It's a pretty mellow flavored whisky, so it's perfect for sharing with friends who don't have a lot of experience with whisky.