GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmk OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 11)

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Luckily neither of them were mine, or the 2 guys I work with. Both houses were the same guys though. He owns 68 rental properties we manage. He said in 40 whatever years of buying and selling he'd had fires but never a complete loss. For us its easy. Once insurance and the fire department clear it we're just going to have it bulldozed and hauled off. Probably won't be enough in it worth rebuilding either one so they'll just be empty lots from now on.

Interesting. I only ask because I work in the multifamily industry and was curious. We work at an apartment community level though, not individual investments like that.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
That sounds much more organized than what we do. We're mostly still trying to recover houses damaged by Florence last September. Insurance is still paying for lost rent.

Anyway, its stupid as all hell. Tenant fell asleep while cooking and the kitchen caught fire. So the fire department came out and put out the kitchen. House was only slightly damaged, couple cabinets, stove, smoke damage through out you know the deal. So the tenants get out and go stay some where else for the night because obviously its smelly in there. Well around midnight or 1 am (6 hours later) the house caught back on fire and no one was there to notice it so it was pretty well gone by the time the fire department got back out there. Garage and kitchen area completely collapsed and is unrecognizable. Roof caved in on the rest of the house but the walls are still standing, thats about it.

clownish

just clowning around
That’s like my neighbor... old guy built his own chimmy. Not up to code. Used it year round and eventually something broke. Smothered himself in his sleep along with his wife and the dogs and the entire structure burnt down. Caused total loss of the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avenali312

Autocross Champion
That sounds much more organized than what we do.

According to the National Multifamily Housing Council for 2019, it looks like we are number 18 in the country for unit ownership at just about 51,000 apartment units owned, so it's a bit different of a scale to deal with haha.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Fifty one thousand!? Holy shit.

You probably see total losses all the time then.

Not really. I may have heard about some issues regarding fire or natural disasters a handful of times over the past 3 years I've worked here, but I can't recall ever completely losing a building.

Our biggest was in Texas a couple of years ago when the hurricane hit. Made a real mess of the lower level units in quite a few buildings at a couple of communities, but I do believe they've been renovated and are back running to full capacity now.

Multi-unit apartment buildings have quite a few safety mechanisms built in to prevent the spreading of fire; fire walls, sprinkler systems, etc.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Not really. I may have heard about some issues regarding fire or natural disasters a handful of times over the past 3 years I've worked here, but I can't recall ever completely losing a building.

Our biggest was in Texas a couple of years ago when the hurricane hit. Made a real mess of the lower level units in quite a few buildings at a couple of communities, but I do believe they've been renovated and are back running to full capacity now.

Multi-unit apartment buildings have quite a few safety mechanisms built in to prevent the spreading of fire; fire walls, sprinkler systems, etc.

Oh yeah, know all about the firewalls and fire supression systems and all that shit. Several of units are duplexes and then 2 apartment buildings with 4 units each in them. Not as crazy as what you do though.

Most of the vacant ones of that 68 were up to the rafters with water after Florence. We don't contract work out, we do it all just the 3 of us. As long as insurance is covering the lost rent, no reason not to. But we're still buying up units individually and putting them on the back burner until things slow down. There are just so many that people are willing to walk away from right now for pennies.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Got my CDL class A this morning. Almost messed up the parallel park portion of the test but got it straightened out at the last min. Parallel parking a semi is tough

Perfect! you can come drive the rig when we upgrade to a stacker :wub:

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Perfect! you can come drive the rig when we upgrade to a stacker :wub:

I didn't want to get one, but work pretty much made me. I've only needed to drive a vehicle that would require one twice in the last 7 years i've been with Cummins and for those times I just found a tech to drive for me.

Hannah kept yelling at me for how I was driving all weekend after being in a truck during the days. Apparently I was taking turns excessively wide and driving too slow :iono:

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
That's cool, congrats! That's still in Indy right?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I'm glad you're not the typical Mopar guy and didn't leave the stupid fucking yellow things on.

Haha there's one of these (not sure of the exact model though) in our apartment parking lot that has the yellow things on there.

Boat bumpers

Just found this...