GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Model 3 ruined my life

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Haha, if the 3.2 second performance model was 52k I would get it right now. Their prices are 40k, 50k and 60k (Base, AWD, Performance AWD). Considering a Golf R costs 41k. I think for an extra 9k you get a beast of a car. I don't care if their 0-60's are similar. The Tesla will throw you back in your seat from any point from 0-70. The golf r needs to spool up and build full power from there.

You may get more performance out of it but you lose a ton of refinement

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
nice, a 350KW charger could definitely sway me. apparently they charge pretty quick up til about 80% where it slows down significantly. but it seems a 350KW charger could definitely cut it down to 15min(or even less!) to 80% which is pretty reasonable.
Yep it slows down a lot but this is normal, you rarely stuff them quite fully charged unless you can leave them on soak charge overnight. It's not like lead acid batteries..

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I would love to have a Tesla but I would never get rid of a good old gas powered car. I love my GTI, the fell, the sound, the feel of boost kicking in, and the experience as a whole.

It would be really convenient for me because there is a supercharger station in the shopping center where I do all my grocery shopping.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I would love to have a Tesla but I would never get rid of a good old gas powered car. I love my GTI, the fell, the sound, the feel of boost kicking in, and the experience as a whole.

It would be really convenient for me because there is a supercharger station in the shopping center where I do all my grocery shopping.
If you'd experienced the performance on offer and the instantaneous nature of it you might change your mind.

Why wait? Go electric and you can feel the torque coming in *while* you press the pedal. Turbo spool up delay has to be the most ridiculous thing ever inflicted on the car buying public!

The internal combustion engine has some charms, in the way that an LP has charm, but it's so astonishingly compromised that it will be lucky to remain a novelty item when the remaining difficulties of electrical charging are overcome.

See pictures below of a typical petrol engine......

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

Last edited:

HicBuda

Ready to race!
Engineering explained guy did a great piece on a 1900mile trip that highlighted many things about reality of owning a Tesla. The most important take away I had was the fact that Tesla has an integrated super charging infrastructure that other makers are no where near as matured. I live in New Mexico and see stations in tinyassed towns. The model 3 I drove was base but it was a great place to be and the power off the line. My S3 will stay in the family long term, but I am looking at the Tesla seriously as the next purchase.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Engineering explained guy did a great piece on a 1900mile trip that highlighted many things about reality of owning a Tesla. The most important take away I had was the fact that Tesla has an integrated super charging infrastructure that other makers are no where near as matured. I live in New Mexico and see stations in tinyassed towns. The model 3 I drove was base but it was a great place to be and the power off the line. My S3 will stay in the family long term, but I am looking at the Tesla seriously as the next purchase.

Yeah, I can't even look at an ICE car the same way anymore. It just feels like outdated technology at this point. One of the things I hate the most about my GTI is the amount of time it takes for the turbo to spool up and go. Some circumstances require immediate response and the Tesla gives you that. Want to quickly move out of the way of a car about to ram into you? Well now you can. It truly is the future, and the charging infrastructure will only grow exponentially with time. In the Arizona heat, I want to go to my phone and set my cars AC to a certain temperature so that I can go from my AC home to my AC car. With my GTI I can't do this because of the carbon monoxide.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
I too test drove a 3 (i have no intentions of buying one but there was a test drive being hosted in my area) and it was amazing... only you can decide if you want to be on the bleeding edge of the EV world or if you want to wait until things are more "stable". Whats the lead time on a model 3 right now anyway?

A friend of mine ordered his last Tuesday and got it Saturday.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Plus to preserve the battery it is recommended not to charge beyond the 80% range.

What? Why? :confused: Is there a source on this? I imagine that missing 20% greatly decreases range..

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, I can't even look at an ICE car the same way anymore. It just feels like outdated technology at this point. One of the things I hate the most about my GTI is the amount of time it takes for the turbo to spool up and go. Some circumstances require immediate response and the Tesla gives you that. Want to quickly move out of the way of a car about to ram into you? Well now you can. It truly is the future, and the charging infrastructure will only grow exponentially with time. In the Arizona heat, I want to go to my phone and set my cars AC to a certain temperature so that I can go from my AC home to my AC car. With my GTI I can't do this because of the carbon monoxide.

There's very little lag in a GTI. But, considering your mods, performance doesn't seem to be on your list of important things. So a Tesla probably fits your style best.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
What? Why? :confused: Is there a source on this? I imagine that missing 20% greatly decreases range..

I think this is not a hard requirement. Most people will charge overnight and leave the car very close to 100% for best range. It is however quite true that LiIon batteries degrade quicker if they're kept fully charged.

Reality:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1110149_tesla-model-s-battery-life-what-the-data-show-so-far

"But, overall, the data offer some basis for confidence that a Tesla Model S will lose—on average—less than 15 percent of its battery capacity over the average 150,000-mile (250,000-km) life of a vehicle."

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie

Thanks. I've since gotten more clarification on this since posting my reply too. Apparently, you can use the app to set certain charge points/times too. Pretty cool.

Anyway, I have my AWD Performance model test drive scheduled for tonight at 6:30. I'm fully expecting the experience to "ruin my life" as well. :D

Side note: Lotus just announced their new EV hypercar beast: 2020 Lotus Evija (with ~2000HP!!)

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Reporting back from my test drive and.......

Meh, I'm not impressed. :rolleyes: Yes, it's cool technology. Yes, it accelerates fairly quickly (the Performance model I wanted to drive wasn't available, so I drove the mid tier AWD model with a mid 4 second 0-60), and the auto pilot feature is kinda cool. Why am I not impressed?

It felt cheap for a $55k car (that's the price point for the Performance). It even feels cheap for a $35k car (the base Model 3). The glass roof is pretty awesome and the seats seemed comfortable enough, but that's not enough for me to look past the cheap plastic trim, lame steering wheel, and disengaging driver experience.

Maybe it's because I've been a car guy my whole life, but it just felt underwhelming. Not hearing the engine work and not fully understanding what was happening behind the scenes when I pushed the throttle was weird to me and I didn't like it. I was very happy to get back in my GTI after the test drive!

Braking and steering felt good enough (there are some settings for "chill" and "normal" steering modes) and it looked good enough in person (minus the hideous wheels). But that's the target demographic: People who want a car that's good enough.. good for the environment and good for their wallet. I totally understand why there are lots of there 3s appearing everywhere, but it is certainly not a driver's car. Even the Performance Model 3 shouldn't be expected to bring the same joy to those of us with true sports car love and experience. I'd take a new WRX or loaded GTI for $35k all day over a base Model 3. For the $55k price tag of the performance model? Ha, give me a brand new STI or Golf R with $10k modding money, a new Audi RS3, or a preowned Cayman S or GT-R or hell.. an old Ferrari 360. $55k is stupid money to pay for a Tesla 3 IMHO.

/end rant

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Reporting back from my test drive and.......

Meh, I'm not impressed. :rolleyes: Yes, it's cool technology. Yes, it accelerates fairly quickly (the Performance model I wanted to drive wasn't available, so I drove the mid tier AWD model with a mid 4 second 0-60), and the auto pilot feature is kinda cool. Why am I not impressed?

It felt cheap for a $55k car (that's the price point for the Performance). It even feels cheap for a $35k car (the base Model 3). The glass roof is pretty awesome and the seats seemed comfortable enough, but that's not enough for me to look past the cheap plastic trim, lame steering wheel, and disengaging driver experience.

Maybe it's because I've been a car guy my whole life, but it just felt underwhelming. Not hearing the engine work and not fully understanding what was happening behind the scenes when I pushed the throttle was weird to me and I didn't like it. I was very happy to get back in my GTI after the test drive!

Braking and steering felt good enough (there are some settings for "chill" and "normal" steering modes) and it looked good enough in person (minus the hideous wheels). But that's the target demographic: People who want a car that's good enough.. good for the environment and good for their wallet. I totally understand why there are lots of there 3s appearing everywhere, but it is certainly not a driver's car. Even the Performance Model 3 shouldn't be expected to bring the same joy to those of us with true sports car love and experience. I'd take a new WRX or loaded GTI for $35k all day over a base Model 3. For the $55k price tag of the performance model? Ha, give me a brand new STI or Golf R with $10k modding money, a new Audi RS3, or a preowned Cayman S or GT-R or hell.. an old Ferrari 360. $55k is stupid money to pay for a Tesla 3 IMHO.

/end rant

Just don't get embarrassed at a stoplight against one. 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds.