GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Model 3 ruined my life

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Just don't get embarrassed at a stoplight against one. 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds.

Lol, I'm not one to race from a light anyway.. especially not in a GTI. These cars are made for the circuit courses, not dragstrips. :cool:

Besides, that's like lining up next to a street bike and initiating a race you'll surely lose. EVs are in a different category.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Lol, I'm not one to race from a light anyway.. especially not in a GTI. These cars are made for the circuit courses, not dragstrips. :cool:

Besides, that's like lining up next to a street bike and initiating a race you'll surely lose. EVs are in a different category.
And yet people criticise them for not "feeling the same"! Yes, they are in a different category. The Tesla 3 Performance, fwiw, was quicker around the race track than all its contemporary petrol engined peers, so not just good at drag strips either.

The performance secret is that infinite fine control electric drive train - it is capable of making use of so much more of the available grip than a petrol car because of a petrol engine's incredibly crude and slow to react torque control capabilities, so in any given scenario the petrol car just can't put as much torque on the ground as the electric one, *particularly* in corners.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I'm not a fan of the Model3's shape, but I see them around in my area. Seems to be fairly popular for those that like alternative cars.

I wouldn't mind having that Bimmer's small e-hatch just for the fun of it.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
When will people get it's not just about speed, it's about the experience. Going fast will put a smile on your face - at first. But you'll get used to that quickly. The experience along the way is what gives you lasting fun. IMO anyone who goes just by what's on paper and that initial drop of the foot doesn't fully understand the driving experience.

A dual motor Tesla would be fun for a while if I had no issues with it. Would it be fun 3 years after purchase like my GTI? Highly doubt it, my GTI still manages to make me smile ear to ear almost every time I take it out. Making anything too digital and easy makes that activity less fun.

In a few decades everything will be quiet, digital, and automated. Speed won't matter due to speed and acceleration limits imposed by regulations. Kids won't need to learn to drive, people who can drive a manual transmission will be considered wizards. Enjoy explosive powered cars as long as you can, one day we'll be longing for the days where we can floor it on the open road.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
I have input on this, please be nice.

We have a bunch of EVs in our area, most of them Teslas. I've fortunately been able to experience a model 3 dual motor and a model x p90d. The acceleration is unreal, sure, but Teslas have a lot of quirks and things about them in general that turn me off to them.

For one thing the interiors are sleek, but bland, not to mention kind of tacky. The huge screens give you a lot, but visually are ugly and in the long run impractical.

Another thing, there is zero mechanical link between the road and the driver. Lots of cars have electric steering and throttle control, but for me, not feeling the engine's force or the tightness of the steering is something I can't have on a daily basis. I know they're pretty good at simulating it, but in reality it's not the same.

BUT, my biggest issue with electric cars is their "performance". The instant torque is unbeatable for acceleration, sure. However, in reality teslas are only capable of consistent high performance acceleration maybe 3 or 4 times before the motors get too hot. A Tesla really would struggle under very spirited driving. Even if it didn't "suffer", the performance wouldn't be consistent with the performance when you first get in the car. An ICE car can give consistent, reliable performance when you push it (granted, that does depend in the car)

In my opinion, Teslas aren't the way to go right now. They need to refine the batteries and the power delivery to give a truly consistent performance. If there's an EV to keep an eye on, it's the Taycan. Porsche is known for putting immense value on consistent performance, and they've spent enough time and research on EVs that the Taycan could be an incredible machine. Even if the specs don't match the Tesla's, it has the endurance to win on the track.

That's my opinion. I probably spent too much time writing about it...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
I have input on this, please be nice.

We have a bunch of EVs in our area, most of them Teslas. I've fortunately been able to experience a model 3 dual motor and a model x p90d. The acceleration is unreal, sure, but Teslas have a lot of quirks and things about them in general that turn me off to them.

For one thing the interiors are sleek, but bland, not to mention kind of tacky. The huge screens give you a lot, but visually are ugly and in the long run impractical.

Another thing, there is zero mechanical link between the road and the driver. Lots of cars have electric steering and throttle control, but for me, not feeling the engine's force or the tightness of the steering is something I can't have on a daily basis. I know they're pretty good at simulating it, but in reality it's not the same.

BUT, my biggest issue with electric cars is their "performance". The instant torque is unbeatable for acceleration, sure. However, in reality teslas are only capable of consistent high performance acceleration maybe 3 or 4 times before the motors get too hot. A Tesla really would struggle under very spirited driving. Even if it didn't "suffer", the performance wouldn't be consistent with the performance when you first get in the car. An ICE car can give consistent, reliable performance when you push it (granted, that does depend in the car)

In my opinion, Teslas aren't the way to go right now. They need to refine the batteries and the power delivery to give a truly consistent performance. If there's an EV to keep an eye on, it's the Taycan. Porsche is known for putting immense value on consistent performance, and they've spent enough time and research on EVs that the Taycan could be an incredible machine. Even if the specs don't match the Tesla's, it has the endurance to win on the track.

That's my opinion. I probably spent too much time writing about it...

Well put! I agree with all of your points on the Tesla.

I haven't heard of the Taycan yet, but will look into it. The EV game is certainly exciting.

vincevtr

Ready to race!

Just a thought but it would be cool if EV's offer a "boost"-like function (button/third pedal) where the motor actually outputs 100% for a short period like 5-7 seconds. After, the motor would return to a standard maybe 70% output where the boost function would recharge/cooldown to be used again. pretty much like a racing game with NOS lol.

imo EV's need more drama to win over ICE enthusiasts. right now its just 0-60 times which many car enthusiasts dont really see as a deal breaking/making stat. with the tech we have today and the car being electric im sure something can be done. weird torque curves, NOS power buttons lol etc.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Just don't get embarrassed at a stoplight against one. 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds.

They are fast no doubt...but they aren't ludicrust.

Fastest Model-3 Performance I can find on Dragy. Many Golf-R's faster than this.

Last edited:

2slowvw

Not gonna lie, i rode in my friends Model 3 and it felt quick. I think tesla has a good thing going for it, that and the fact that their is alot less maintenance .. no oil changes, no spark plugs, no engine filter, brakes wear slower, etc etc. Yes there is some maintenance but you will definitely save some money on that aspect. Also on average, you will save money on electricity vs gas prices, especially if you compare gas prices of premium and not just 87.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Just a thought but it would be cool if EV's offer a "boost"-like function (button/third pedal) where the motor actually outputs 100% for a short period like 5-7 seconds. After, the motor would return to a standard maybe 70% output where the boost function would recharge/cooldown to be used again. pretty much like a racing game with NOS lol.

imo EV's need more drama to win over ICE enthusiasts. right now its just 0-60 times which many car enthusiasts dont really see as a deal breaking/making stat. with the tech we have today and the car being electric im sure something can be done. weird torque curves, NOS power buttons lol etc.

I suspect you'll find the motor never outputs 100%, at all, and the limits to acceleration are entirely down to the temperature control on the battery packs, for now.

This is supported by the fact that Ludicrous mode on the Model S PxxD came out as a software update, so yes the car got more torque just by a software update.

I think some people are using their rose tinted glasses again, and the forum is starting to sound a lot like a bunch of people discussing CDs on a record collector's forum .. ;)

Actually it's not just 0-60 times that Tesla's are winning against "comparable cars" (which no doubt will provoke some debate).

e.g. https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-mod...issan-gtr-ferrari-488-gtb-track-battle-video/

There's also a Top Gear episode where the Tesla Model 3 actually outperforms this lot : Merc-AMG C63 S, BMW M3 & Alfa Giulia QV .. on a race track.

I think the thing that's spectacular here is that tesla have been a car company for about five minutes and electric power allows them to ALREADY dominate their peers in terms of performance, and be 5 times more efficient in doing so.

So, perhaps the Tesla version of electric cars doesn't float your boat (it was designed from the ground up to be fast but utterly conventional in every other way), but let's see what happens when the same drivetrain is lifted and dropped in a car made by a company that's been building cars and tuning chassis for five decades, we will see what this technology can really do, and perhaps bring back some of the "driver involvement", which frankly disappeared the moment power steering was invented anyway.

Last edited:

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
It is relatively understandable as to why the model 3 (and most EVs) do well on a track. They have the torque to get up to speed, and their center of gravity is incredibly low.

But, I think there's still a reason why EVs haven't made it into racing leagues besides formula e. I don't know if its endurance issues or overheating or what.

Whatever it is, I'm going to wait a while before I jump on the bandwagon.

vincevtr

Ready to race!
I suspect you'll find the motor never outputs 100%, at all, and the limits to acceleration are entirely down to the temperature control on the battery packs, for now.

This is supported by the fact that Ludicrous mode on the Model S PxxD came out as a software update, so yes the car got more torque just by a software update.

I think some people are using their rose tinted glasses again, and the forum is starting to sound a lot like a bunch of people discussing CDs on a record collector's forum .. ;)

god damnit let me dream

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
So, perhaps the Tesla version of electric cars doesn't float your boat (it was designed from the ground up to be fast but utterly conventional in every other way), but let's see what happens when the same drivetrain is lifted and dropped in a car made by a company that's been building cars and tuning chassis for five decades, we will see what this technology can really do, and perhaps bring back some of the "driver involvement", which frankly disappeared the moment power steering was invented anyway.

Yeah, it's definitely an exciting and innovative time we get to experience. I'd happily grab an EV Golf R/GTI even if the only thing that changed was the drivetrain. The refined interior, body, and handling matched with a powerful electric drivetrain would be awesome! Though it would likely be much more expensive than the Model 3.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
It is relatively understandable as to why the model 3 (and most EVs) do well on a track. They have the torque to get up to speed, and their center of gravity is incredibly low.

But, I think there's still a reason why EVs haven't made it into racing leagues besides formula e. I don't know if its endurance issues or overheating or what.

Whatever it is, I'm going to wait a while before I jump on the bandwagon.

No league is going to race electric and gasoline cars together except for Pikes Peak.