GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Model 3 ruined my life

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, it's definitely an exciting and innovative time we get to experience. I'd happily grab an EV Golf R/GTI even if the only thing that changed was the drivetrain. The refined interior, body, and handling matched with a powerful electric drivetrain would be awesome! Though it would likely be much more expensive than the Model 3.

Can we get a few less rattles while they're at it? :rolleyes:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion

What class would the electric cars race in the NHRA? They're not going to allow electric cars to race in any of the Pro classes. In fact the only race I can see electric cars competing against gasoline cars is run what you brung.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie

Lol, everyone complains about rattles. I haven't experienced any yet.. I thought my sunroof made some noise once, but I haven't been able to replicate it. I think you guys just modify without respecting proper torque specs. :p

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
It is relatively understandable as to why the model 3 (and most EVs) do well on a track. They have the torque to get up to speed, and their center of gravity is incredibly low.

But, I think there's still a reason why EVs haven't made it into racing leagues besides formula e. I don't know if its endurance issues or overheating or what.

Whatever it is, I'm going to wait a while before I jump on the bandwagon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I think they're just too new. It will happen.

Fwiw the magic ingredient that makes the ev astounding on the track is the traction it can make use of. A petrol engined car has an incredibly crude ability to throttle back to prevent wheelspin when it's detected whereas the ev can allow the spin to subside and get the power back on before the petrol car even fired another cylinder, let alone before it had the ability to operate the throttle butterfly or turbo wastegate. Ive not seen numbers but I know from experience the Tesla P85D, you can be on a tight corner and just plant the throttle.. it works it out.. you get the maximum propulsion, without sliding, and the moment you straighten the wheel it catapults you forward because it has more grip available. It's really thrilling, literally anyone can drive these things astoundingly fast.

For a start if you just allowed electric drivetrains into current touring cars type races the electric car would win every time and everyone else would go home. There will have to be separate series for EVs.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

Last edited:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Too right. Maybe we should start with a better built base model? The Golf isn't even that *great* handling anyway. "Ok", but not "great". Mazda MX-5 with a Tesla model 3 underpinning? Oh wait, isn't that a Tesla Roadster? (Would love one of those but Elon sent his spare into space the nonce.)

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Lol, everyone complains about rattles. I haven't experienced any yet.. I thought my sunroof made some noise once, but I haven't been able to replicate it. I think you guys just modify without respecting proper torque specs. :p
You have been lucky.. mind you I borrowed some brand new cars that didn't rattle too when ours was in for repairs...

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie

You definitely just got lucky. Most of these things come with dealer installed rattles.

And when you take it in I hear they just call you crazy and make you feel bad.

Juggar

Ready to race!
I dont ever want to drive one because I know I will want one as well. So I compromised with a Volt, plus the federal tax credit was too good to pass up.

Even my 2018 Volt will throw you back in your seat, the 0-30 is faster than a non-performance Tesla Model S 85 and it has more or similar torque than a stock GTI @ 294 ft/lbs.

I do get a kick out of flooring it at stoplights, surprises a lot of folks who think its a chevy cruze.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
The only thing I dont like about the tesla is that I dont like having everything in the touch screen. I like having buttons to press/turn. Also if you get in an accident/fender bender it can takes weeks/months to get it fixed at a certified dealership. Here in California I think they just added a +$100 tax fee for all EV on their registration.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The only thing I dont like about the tesla is that I dont like having everything in the touch screen. I like having buttons to press/turn. Also if you get in an accident/fender bender it can takes weeks/months to get it fixed at a certified dealership. Here in California I think they just added a +$100 tax fee for all EV on their registration.
Agree on the touch screen question. Unfortunately all cars are going this way.

rmchung1

Well, ICE cars just can't all be footing the bill to build/maintain roadways and law enforcement; EV's gotta contribute too.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
VW is going to dive deep into EV's soon in North America, so stay tuned.

Although, Tesla P100d's in "Ludicrous Mode" are violently fast and sounds like a blast to drive.