GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Model 3 ruined my life

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
If you want my honest opinion. I hate my model 3. The interior is cheap plastic like a dodge. It’s only fun for a brief moment in a straight line. Not very fun around turns. The car feels very heavy and the quality control is complete trash. I kinda wish I kept my gti. Now that was a quality vehicle made by a company with a proven track record. Plus I heard Tesla’s support is horrible and those super chargers are always busy. Plus like iPhones these batteries lose their range by like half in only two years. I would wait another 5 years till the EV market matures. The GTI is a fantastic car. I’d rather spend 5 mins filling up then 1 hour and a half waiting to charge. And I agree with the above post, Elon’s weird personality does have the potential to bankrupt the company. I mean look at that hideous cybertruck.

Devil's advocate? Tell us how you really feel. And FWIW Dodge trucks have by far the best interior.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
wtf op? lol!!

I had no idea the performance model 3 can do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds though, that is properly quick! Speaking of low center of gravity how would it actually fair on a racetrack against a gti i wonder?

Probably very well with the instant torque out of turns. Depends upon the race track. Long straights? Lots of turns? Short enough race for the batteries to last? But it would lose on the fun factor.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
3 min to refuel vs 30 min to multiple hours.

When that's no longer true I'll consider electric.

Americans buy cars for what they think they need.

That’s why people will drive a truck, when they only use the bed or towing 0.01% of the time.

I personally can’t tell you the last time I went on a 300 mile + trip one way, 2011?

Most of my trips are between 100-250 miles, anything beyond that my ass is usually in a seat on a plane.

Almost makes sense to rent a car from Hertz if I chose to do a big road trip. Rack up the miles on the rental, I looked at renting a car for a cross country trip over 2 weeks last year. It was going to be $350... yeah, I’d rather put 4,000 miles on someone else’s car for $350.

I flew there non-stop for $410 and spent two weeks in the PNW.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Americans buy cars for what they think they need.

That’s why people will drive a truck, when they only use the bed or towing 0.01% of the time.

I personally can’t tell you the last time I went on a 300 mile + trip one way, 2011?

Most of my trips are between 100-250 miles, anything beyond that my ass is usually in a seat on a plane.

Almost makes sense to rent a car from Hertz if I chose to do a big road trip. Rack up the miles on the rental, I looked at renting a car for a cross country trip over 2 weeks last year. It was going to be $350... yeah, I’d rather put 4,000 miles on someone else’s car for $350.

I flew there non-stop for $410 and spent two weeks in the PNW.

Agree, some people LIKE driving far. Not this guy, had enough of that when I was going to school and had to make looonnnggg trips by myself. Literally would listen to every CD I owned and chew on sun flower seeds to stay alert.

Also guilty of buying trucks and never using them. Usually your relatives and friends find plenty of use for them tho...

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
So.... Just curious lets say it's your only car. What do you do when the power is out for 3 days due to weather? Just for the sake of argument let's also say your job doesn't allow charging.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
So.... Just curious lets say it's your only car. What do you do when the power is out for 3 days due to weather? Just for the sake of argument let's also say your job doesn't allow charging.

The funny thing is when Hurricane Harvey came through Texas there were gas shortages so bad that you couldn’t find gas.

If the power is down for days on end, offices would close, no?

Again, not sure I would buy a car in anticipation of something that would never happen.

Plus if your car was full of power you’d have 250-300 miles of range.

I’ve also never seen the power out here for more than a few hours.

No charging at work? So what? With 200-300 miles of range you wouldn’t need to recharge.

torga

Autocross Champion
Having an electric car in Puerto Rico after Maria hit meant you just didn't have a car. Not every place is equipped to have power back after an outage so quickly. Granted, getting gas for an ICE car was extremely difficult during that time, too.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
The funny thing is when Hurricane Harvey came through Texas there were gas shortages so bad that you couldn’t find gas.

If the power is down for days on end, offices would close, no?

Again, not sure I would buy a car in anticipation of something that would never happen.

Plus if your car was full of power you’d have 250-300 miles of range.

I’ve also never seen the power out here for more than a few hours.

No charging at work? So what? With 200-300 miles of range you wouldn’t need to recharge.

Where I live it's very common for the power to be out several days after a storm. With an electric car you are putting all your eggs in one basket. I don't believe in that. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. That is why I own more than one vehicle and one of them is a 4wd truck.

200 mile range gets eaten up quickly if you are trying to find a place that is warm when the power is out and it's below freezing at home. Not to mention it's impossible to store extra power at home before a storm while it's dead easy to store extra gas if and I stress IF you believing in being prepared.

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
A portable gas generator would be a good purchase for an electric car owner that was concerned about infrequent power outages. Bonus is that it can be used to power things in your home as well. Heck, if you live in an area with frequent power outages, having a gas generator almost becomes a must have, right?

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
A portable gas generator would be a good purchase for an electric car owner that was concerned about infrequent power outages. Bonus is that it can be used to power things in your home as well. Heck, if you live in an area with frequent power outages, having a gas generator almost becomes a must have, right?
Sure but do you charge the car or keep the house warm and the freezers cold? The number of hours you'll have to run to get one 80% charge at 110v is going to burn way more fuel than you can probably afford in an emergency.

My point is E cars are fun and practical during good times. But when things go south you need the reliability and grid independence of a internal combustion vehicle.

One final point. The grid is not getting better. It's actually getting worse in many areas of the country. Adding transportation to it's burden isn't a smart idea.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Where I live it's very common for the power to be out several days after a storm. With an electric car you are putting all your eggs in one basket. I don't believe in that. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. That is why I own more than one vehicle and one of them is a 4wd truck.

200 mile range gets eaten up quickly if you are trying to find a place that is warm when the power is out and it's below freezing at home. Not to mention it's impossible to store extra power at home before a storm while it's dead easy to store extra gas if and I stress IF you believing in being prepared.

So an electric car probably isn’t for you.

I live in a major city with a stable power grid, I don’t commute since I work from home and I rarely drive over 200 miles in one sitting.

Most of my trips are 5-15 miles.

An electric car is perfect for me, maybe not for you.

I will say having an electric car would have been nice during Harvey. Someone would post about fuel being available at XYZ Station on r/Austin and within 10 mins they were dry/sold out. It was demand induced shortages.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
One final point. The grid is not getting better. It's actually getting worse in many areas of the country. Adding transportation to it's burden isn't a smart idea.

Source?

The grid here in Austin and most of the country in major metro areas is solid.

I remember as a kid going hours and days without electricity after a big storm. I honestly can’t remember the last time I had a power outage over 2 mins in the past 15 years.

We haven’t even had brownouts in the past 10 years.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Source?

The grid here in Austin and most of the country in major metro areas is solid.

I remember as a kid going hours and days without electricity after a big storm. I honestly can’t remember the last time I had a power outage over 2 mins in the past 15 years.

We haven’t even had brownouts in the past 10 years.
I work in the industry. And as an example look at California.