GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Model 3 ruined my life

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Current electric cars just aren't to where they meet my needs. My GTI is just a toy and no longer exists to commute, so I can't rationalize replacing it with a significantly more expensive car and the family vehicle is much larger than a sedan.

I am looking forward to watching the technology evolve though. I'd love an AWD minivan that could hit 60 MPH in 3 seconds for purchase at $35000.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
At Laguna Seca a bone stock Model 3 on all seasons can run 1:54.XX. I ran a 2:01:XX with my bone stock GTI the first time I ran there. The Model 3/GTI are about the same in the corners but the Model 3 accelerates much faster.

Probably very well with the instant torque out of turns. Depends upon the race track. Long straights? Lots of turns? Short enough race for the batteries to last? But it would lose on the fun factor.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Are you sure about that? Seemed awful low so I did a quick google

The average residential electricity rate in Phoenix is 11.96¢/kWh. This average (residential) electricity rate in Phoenix is 5.93% greater than the Arizona average rate of 11.29¢/kWh. The average (residential) electricity rate in Phoenix is 0.67% greater than the national average rate of 11.88¢/kWh.

You must get a special rate?

I don't get a special rate. I'm on the APS (Arizona Power Service). I'm on their Saver Choice Max plan. .0523 per kwh.

torga

Autocross Champion
I don't get a special rate. I'm on the APS (Arizona Power Service). I'm on their Saver Choice Max plan. .0523 per kwh.
No tiers with that plan? I'm in NM and I get something like $0.05/kWh for the first 400kWh, then it jumps to $0.12/kWh for anything over that.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
No tiers with that plan? I'm in NM and I get something like $0.05/kWh for the first 400kWh, then it jumps to $0.12/kWh for anything over that.

No tiers. It's a time demand plan. The demand hours are from 3 PM to 8 PM Monday through Friday excluding holidays. I pay .0523 per kwh off peak. 8 Pm to 3 PM. And I pay .08623 per kwh on peak. 3 PM to 8 PM. Plus there is a demand charge that uses your peak usage during the peak hours. It's around $13.00 per 1000 kwh's. So using a programmable thermostat I control the on peak usage to minimize cost. So 19 hours per day and all weekend I just pay .0523 per kwh. I'm gone most of the peak hours so it's only a minor inconvenience.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Current electric cars just aren't to where they meet my needs. My GTI is just a toy and no longer exists to commute, so I can't rationalize replacing it with a significantly more expensive car and the family vehicle is much larger than a sedan.

Why would you keep a GTI as a toy? ??‍♂️

It’s a FWD hatchback with economy car roots that will depreciate like a rock.

Get something fun that wont depreciate.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion

I agree, the GTI is more a fun family car, toys are supposed to be impractical and hopefully a little outrageous.

Also some food for thought for everyone talking about performance per dollar on these Teslas: a model 3 performance costs the same as my toy car did (assuming both are new). Obviously, personal preference plays a part, but I know which one I think is more fun...

IMG_20190427_174230689_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion

It's his money why can't he keep the GTI as a toy? I don't think he's worried about depreciation and since he already has the GTI why spend more money for another toy? They all depreciate some faster then others.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion

I hear you. The thing is the value of the car more or less flatlined at the end of my time driving it to work every day, at that point it was at about 130k miles. On a good day I can't imagine I'd get much more than $7k in a private sale and there's nothing out there at twice that which I would enjoy more than what I have.

I'm also getting back into track days and the running costs for this car are super low. Brake pads, rotors, and tires are all as cheap as it gets and if I blow an engine I can get a replacement from a scrap yard for cheap.

Most importantly, I still sincerely enjoy driving it. All of the upgrades I've installed certainly help here, but even after ten years it still makes me happy to just take it for a drive.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
My GTI has almost always been a toy and I love it that way. yeah its nothing too crazy but hey, fun cheap pretty nice ride. Don't really turn heads but sounds good and feels quick after driving my work truck all week!

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Yeah, and honestly if I were out looking for a new toy the GTI probably wouldn’t be on my radar. But it’s what I already have, it’s been paid off for years, and I’m happy with it.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Are you sure about that? Seemed awful low so I did a quick google

The average residential electricity rate in Phoenix is 11.96¢/kWh. This average (residential) electricity rate in Phoenix is 5.93% greater than the Arizona average rate of 11.29¢/kWh. The average (residential) electricity rate in Phoenix is 0.67% greater than the national average rate of 11.88¢/kWh.

You must get a special rate?
I pay about 8¢/kWh regardless of time.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm also getting back into track days and the running costs for this car are super low. Brake pads, rotors, and tires are all as cheap as it gets and if I blow an engine I can get a replacement from a scrap yard for cheap.

Yep. I'm adding a triple pass radiator, IC, and oil cooler so I can beat on it all day long. Consumables are cheap.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I researched Tesla's. The negative comments outweighed everything else. The most egregious ones involved crash parts, service, and customer support. It's a car for wealthy people with at least one more car to drive while it's in the shop. Unless things have changed, they won't sell you any parts, so once you're out of warranty, make sure you have a wallet full of cash when you need service. Go to YouTube and search on Rich Rebuilds. He's one of the few who understands how the company and their cars work.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Give them a break, they invented a new genre of product, the cars are excellent but flawed and it WILL continue to take time before they get it right and they learn all those lessons that VW (should have) learned over the last 50-80 years, even if there's sometimes precious little evidence that VW are any better.
Truth is that Tesla buyers are amongst the happiest car owners on the planet, even if there's problems they LOVE their cars. The same can't be said of many other brands.