GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The 'R Line is above Style' misconception

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
I think that there is a misconception that R Line is better than Style because it is slightly more expensive (and, well, because car trims usually work like that). There are differences in what you get with a specific trim from market to market as I understand, but the basics are the same.

It looks to me that the trims just target different audiences - R Line feels appealing especially for those under 30, and Style for say people above 30. The R Line specifics that make it unappealing to me are:

- seats with separate headrests look better and are more backseat passenger-friendly than ones with integrated seats
- 18' is an overkill for a non-hot hatch (standard for R Line in some markets)
- sport suspension is a preference, not an objective improvement
- buttons on the steering wheel, obviously

Tinted rear windows ... For me, they are objectively better, but somebody might disagree. Also, they are a relatively cheap option for the Style.

Progressive steering and driving modes are objectively a plus, but also relatively cheap to add to the Style trim (something like 400€ for both, which is ok, considering it is the cheaper trim).

There is also quite some stuff that the R Line doesn't get that Style tends to get (illuminated front grill, as I understand sometimes also travel assist, high beam assist, folding mirrors) and especially the autonomous stuff should make it extra appealing (as it is quite expensive to add as an option).

Just some thoughts, as I feel that people are continuously disappointed that R Line doesn't have all the goodies of the Style trim. For me it kinda makes sense that more sporty isn't necessarily better.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I think you’re correct that these two models (R-Line and Style) target different customers. VW actually introduced the R-Line trim level back in 2011. I don’t think they were the first car manufacturer to introduce a sports styling trim level to their non-performance models. However, they clearly didn’t want to miss out on attracting customers who consider a sporty appearance in a car as important, who might otherwise buy from one of VW’s competitors.The R-Line trim level has many of the design cues of one of the performance models in the range, and some owners will also place greater importance on sporty looks rather than certain extra items of equipment fitted as standard in in other models in the range.

With VW’s Polo, the R-Line model in the recently face lifted Polo range looks very similar to the Golf’s range-topping R model (there isn’t an R model in the Polo range). In fact, there was a very longstanding, knowledgeable (on all things VW) forum member over on uk-polos.net forum who was convinced that VW had quietly introduced a Polo R into the model line up - same design of wheels, seating upholstery and very similar light clusters front and rear as the Golf R, and car used in the press photos at launch time was blue - a very similar shade of blue to the Golf R’s exclusive Lapiz Blue.

I don’t know where the Golf R-Line sits, price-wise, in the current Golf model range. However, when the current shape Polo was launched late 2017 / early 2018, pricing of the R-Line in the UK model line-up was ‘interesting’. I can remember that if one or two ‘desirable’ options were added to the Polo R-Line, it was very easy to exceed the list price of the range topping, better equipped, larger engined and better performing Polo GTI+. Not surprisingly, the GTI+ seemed to be a very popular choice.……..🤔

Edit; Within VAG, Audi also has its S-Line trim level for mainstream models that mimics the styling of their ‘S’ performance models. Outside VAG, Ford has ST and ST-Line, Mercedes has AMG models and AMG styling packs for non-AMG models, and BMW has its ‘M’ performance models and M performance accessories for non-M models. There may also be other manufacturers that follow this approach.

Last edited:

dremavec

Passed Driver's Ed
I checked and according to the UK site, the price difference for the Golf trims is about 500£, so quite tiny given that they cost about 28.000£.

I now also noticed on the site that both trims list their equipment as "Additional key features (over Life)". So R Line isn't "over Style" but they actually do sit in parallel "over Life" and just happen to be about 500£ apart ...

So basically it goes:
Golf (basic) -> Life -> Style
Golf (basic) -> Life -> R Line

And not, as one could understand (striking to emphasise it is false):
Golf (basic) -> Life -> Style -> R Line

Kinda tricky as you can't just go for 'the higher one' and get 'everything' ...

Last edited:

daveb15

Ready to race!
Volkswagen adopted what they called a Y shaped line-up. Before covid there was an entry level model just called Golf (but not in the UK) so it was Golf; Golf Life and the the range split to two branches Golf Style Golf R-Line. I think the entry Golf was dropped due to chip shortage.

Like this:

906DC8D9-1045-423A-9793-C5B7C93D0DEF.jpeg

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
My take: Style = previous 'Match', I loved that name, 'Style' reminds me of a lower grade model, j-u-s-t about the basic spec, which is fine if folk are happy with that.
'R' = sportier spec or boy / girl racer desirable, with stiffer suspension race-style seats, etc, if you like, again fine if folk want that.
On pre-order enquiring, I was informed by dealer that VW were deliberately advising folk away from R spec cars to deter folk slightly and encourage Style orders, in pre-mircrochip shortage times of course. Crazy when you think anout it, one might think they'd want to sell cars, in whatever model / spec.....

orlinst

Passed Driver's Ed
Same situation here in VW Bulgaria - both Style and R-line upgrade Life trim in different ways. The basic Golf trim is not offered. As to Style and R-line: Style includes many nice options here as LED plus headlights, 3-zone air conditioner, Travel assist, ergo comfort driver's seat, chrome elements etc. As to the R-line it is equipped with more 'sporty' options: progressive steering, driving mode, visual elements, perforated steering wheel, capacitive buttons on the steering wheel, etc. After comparing the both trim levels and the price for additional options, I choosed Style.

AndyCYM

Passed Driver's Ed
VW have structured the golf range like this since at least the mark 6. For the mark 6, GT equipment was described as 'in addition to S', not 'in addition to SE'.

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
I am in a dilemma , I really like the look of the r line with its interior and alloys but it does not have folding mirrors which for many may not seem much but are important to me, while the style has folding mirrors but less attractive alloys , no darkened rear glass and ugly chrome strip.

I currently drive a 68 plate 1.5 150 Bhp r line , digital dials, heated seats, climate.

MikeMK8

Ready to race!
I am in a dilemma , I really like the look of the r line with its interior and alloys but it does not have folding mirrors which for many may not seem much but are important to me, while the style has folding mirrors but less attractive alloys , no darkened rear glass and ugly chrome strip.

I currently drive a 68 plate 1.5 150 Bhp r line , digital dials, heated seats, climate.
I went for the style regarding the looks of the R-line because it has much more equipment as standard.

j3bnl

My wife went for the R Line over the Style as she preferred the looks over a few extra electronic extras.
Both really good but the R line seats are superb.

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
Assumed the style model had heated seats...the active does and the r line but not style trim , oh well.

Seems unusual to me when things like multi coloured background settings and rear climate are standard but no seats heaters , I suppose it’s all about money making adding options packs , heated wheel and seats.

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Assumed the style model had heated seats...the active does and the r line but not style trim , oh well.

Seems unusual to me when things like multi coloured background settings and rear climate are standard but no seats heaters , I suppose it’s all about money making adding options packs , heated wheel and seats.
I’ve never felt the need for heated seats when the seat upholstery is cloth, as the seats are never really cold in the winter months. It’d be different with leather seats though.

MikeMK8

Ready to race!

So did you receive your car?

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes picked it up yesterday, 1.5 etsi style dsg, reverse camera, in Atlantic Blue.
First time owner of a car with an auto box and am already impressed, need to be careful putting it in garage with auto though, not much room.