GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thermostat vs. Water Pump and Location

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I understand what the water pump does. What does the thermostat do? How can it lead to coolant leaks? Where are both of them located and what does it take to replace them in the cozy setting of my own garage?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Thermostat opens and closes to let coolant flow. It will only open at a certain degree. While you're changing it you might as well do a carbon cleaning since the intake manifold will need to come off. Right underneath in the intake manifold will be the thermostat on the left side and waterpump on the right. If i were you i'd really see if the dealer covers it under warranty if you still have your powertrain since it would be covered

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
More or less in the area circled here, down below everything else. For me it was thermostat seal that failed and caused a leak.

It is quite a time consuming job, bout 4-5 hours. As mentioned above, I’d look into a carbon cleaning as well since the manifold will be off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Follow the lower radiator hose until it meets the engine, thermostat sits right there. Thermostat opens and closes to regulate engine temperature by preventing coolant flow to the radiator. It remains closed until engine coolant (not oil) reaches operating temp, then begins to open. Without a thermostat, it would take a while for the engine to warm up and in the winter you'd basically have no heat.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This is useful info, thanks everyone so far. My coolant light came on yesterday, so I need to get under there and make sure there aren't any leaks. Leaky coolant looks sort of like what salt and brine does in the winter, right? Like a white film?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Thanks, all.

Any chance the thermostat can be replaced without removing the intake manifold?
Also, I don't dread spending an entire day working the issue, but a simpler DIY is much appreciated.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Is it just me, or is it really hard to see the coolant in the spherical bottle when topping off? I had to use a crazy combination of waiting until dark and a flashlight in the opening of the bottle to see the current level. Might be my color vision deficiency coming into play though haha.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks, all.

Any chance the thermostat can be replaced without removing the intake manifold?
Also, I don't dread spending an entire day working the issue, but a simpler DIY is much appreciated.

I have not done it personally, but having installed a few JB4's, the room is very limited and it will be a lot easier just to pull the intake manifold off which is rather easy on these cars.

Is it just me, or is it really hard to see the coolant in the spherical bottle when topping off? I had to use a crazy combination of waiting until dark and a flashlight in the opening of the bottle to see the current level. Might be my color vision deficiency coming into play though haha.

Just you, I haven't had issues.