Is it even out yet?
The advantages are:
New Car smell?
Yes, the mk8 is on sale in many non-USA / Canadian markets. I see that @sh1baev
is from Moscow. The mk8 Golf has been on sale for some time in Europe and It’s on the VW Russia website.
- ride and handling - which was very good on the mk7 Golf - seem to be improved, and for many owners those ride and handling improvements more than offset many of the negative features / disadvantages of the car.
- some of the new technology gets good reviews.
- there’s evidence of cost cutting compared to the mk7 Golf - some of the interior trim seems to be of poorer quality (more hard plastic materials used) and some of the features in the mk7 are not present in the mk8 - at least, not on UK versions of the mk8 Golf - e.g. no gas strut for the bonnet / hood, no sliding cover over the cup holders in the centre console, drivers side lower dash mounted storage compartment removed, overhead sunglasses storage removed, touch controls below the central infotainment screen are not illuminated at night.
- removal of many of the physical controls from the interior (buttons, switches and knobs) makes operating some of the basic controls more difficult while driving the car.
- the user interface can be slow to respond or (sometimes) unresponsive.
- based on feedback from mk8 Golf owners on other forums, early examples of the mk8 Golf do seem to have a number of computer software issues. Hopefully VW will find a fix for these and apply those fixes to existing cars.
The mk8 Golf’s physical appearance has received quite a few negative comments and in the opinion of many, the mk8 Golf isn’t as good looking as the mk7 Golf.
If I was thinking of buying a mk8 Golf, I think I’d wait a while - at least until VW have developed fixes for the current computer software issues.