GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tinting Regulations in NYC ?

The Yetti

Ready to race!
Essentially all tint is illegal unless it comes from factory aka you drive what is classified as a SUBURBAN vehicle (Minivans, SUVs, CUVs, some wagons etc.).

Remember factory never tints the passenger and driver window or windshield.

If you have tint you are technically illegal (half of NYC rides around with tint though, myself included). It depends on the cop and who has time. If they ever pull you over, don't be surprised if he slaps on the extra fine for the tint. If you're egregious with like blacked out windows then power to you, you're more likely to be a target.

cobie56

Ready to race!
NY's law is so stupid... i agree, the tint laws basically say no tint.. Yet.... from the factory minivans, suvs and the like can have rear side and back glass tint so dark that when behind them at a light you can't see the light thru the dark tint... just stupid.

Essentially all tint is illegal unless it comes from factory aka you drive what is classified as a SUBURBAN vehicle (Minivans, SUVs, CUVs, some wagons etc.).

Remember factory never tints the passenger and driver window or windshield.

If you have tint you are technically illegal (half of NYC rides around with tint though, myself included). It depends on the cop and who has time. If they ever pull you over, don't be surprised if he slaps on the extra fine for the tint. If you're egregious with like blacked out windows then power to you, you're more likely to be a target.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
I find that you are much more likely to get pulled over in the 5 boroughs than upstate or on Long Island... or at least in my experiences.

I used to be in Manhattan/Brooklyn/Staten Island a lot and I got a few tickets for it there. I literally got pulled over just for the tint (20% on my previous car). I've gotten one tint ticket on Long Island but I was already pulled over for something else...

I recently just got 35% on my GTI so we'll see how it goes. 35 isn't as bad as 20 though, I don't expect to be pulled over for it on the island.

The Yetti

Ready to race!
I find that you are much more likely to get pulled over in the 5 boroughs than upstate or on Long Island... or at least in my experiences.

I used to be in Manhattan/Brooklyn/Staten Island a lot and I got a few tickets for it there. I literally got pulled over just for the tint (20% on my previous car). I've gotten one tint ticket on Long Island but I was already pulled over for something else...

I recently just got 35% on my GTI so we'll see how it goes. 35 isn't as bad as 20 though, I don't expect to be pulled over for it on the island.

I've noticed the opposite. I went to school in Poughkeepsie and every car on campus was pretty much fish bowl'd. My car stuck out like crazy and never even noticed cars were NOT tinted until school. Folks thought I was sketchy but in NYC everyone's tinted. I've never gotten a ticket for my car and for the rest of my family, we've tinted everything since 1991 and no biggie. 35% is perfect. I wish I went 30% but feared id push it. But in the 5 boros, everyone's to your left is worse than you.

cobie56

Ready to race!
true, that.. in clinton or essex county i don't know any being pulled over for tint.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
On passenger cars, nothing beyond factory is legal.
SUVs and trucks have different regs, and you'll notice that many SUVs come with a factory tint on the rear windows that's pretty dark.
I'm a Staten Islander myself, and had my MK6 tinted for four years and never had a problem.
You'll notice that virtually every other car is tinted here, and if you stay within the tint level that you see on the other cars, you should be ok.
If I get nervous when I spot a cop, I'll roll down a window.
In warmer weather, my sunroof is open and that lets a lot of light into the cabin.
Of course, should you call attention to your car in other ways that grab a cops eye - be it styling mods, a loud exhaust, or driving like a tool - you may get pulled over for your tinted windows as well.