GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tires for is38 setup

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
For summer, I have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. For non-Summer I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and I have the EQT turbo.

how do they hold up? I have a 18x8 wheel so i know a 225-235 is ideal. I have a 225 now on them and no stretch what so ever. Not a fan of stretching tires at all.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
how do they hold up? I have a 18x8 wheel so i know a 225-235 is ideal. I have a 225 now on them and no stretch what so ever. Not a fan of stretching tires at all.

235 would not be stretched. More like compressed as tire is wider.
235 fits best on an 8" wheel.

Bridgestone tires for IS38
RE71R - best track tire. Not best daily.
S001 - new tire that replaced RE-11.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie

Sadly I daily the car so I kind of need best of daily but traction on spirited driving.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
I ran the pirelli p zero nero gt this past summer and they weren't entirely horrible as I thought of grabbing them again but i wasnt sure if there were a better option

TechGuy32

Ready to race!
If you have one set of tires and wheels then your options are limited since PA tends to get ice and snow and all season tires are dangerous in Winter conditions. (See the TR Winter test of A/S tires vs. true Winter tires). If you have two sets of tires and wheels then you can have the best Summer tires as well as the best Winter tires - if you choose. See the thread below as the various tire options have been discussed extensively and the thread includes links to Tire Rack test data that may be of interest as the average lateral traction measured in g's and braking data is totally objective.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51057

https://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=91

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Money no object summer
Michelin Pilot Sport 4s

Money No object All (No) Season
Michelin AS3+

Value Summer
Continental Extremecontact Sport

Value All Season
Maybe Pirelli PZero plus

Cheap Summer
Falken Azenis FK510
General GMax RS

Cheap All Season
No idea...maybe General GMax AS

CDM MK7

Ready to race!

Depends on what 235, and what the sidewall ratio is. Optimally, you're looking for an accurate, measured tread width that is exactly the same, or just ever so slightly narrower than the width of your rim. This pre-loads the sidewall a small amount which optimizes steering input while maximizing road contact.

For instance, a 235/35/19 sized Falken Azenis FK510 has a tread width of 8.4" which is perfect for an 8.5" wide rim. However a 235/35/19 Firehawk Indy 500 has a tread width of 8.1" - which would be running narrow on an 8.5" rim (and a better fit on an 8" wide wheel) - in which case I might move up to a 245. This obviously changes by manufacturer and by sidewall size (sidewall [35%] obviously being a percentage of the printed tread width [235mm] - giving you your measured sidewall height).

Here's a great vid that Engineering Explained released last week on tire sizing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHS2LCiUVw

I'm sure you know all this already, but just in case someone else doesn't.

By the way, the Bridgestone replacement for the RE-11 is the S007A.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Depends on what 235, and what the sidewall ratio is. Optimally, you're looking for an accurate, measured tread width that is exactly the same, or just ever so slightly narrower than the width of your rim. This pre-loads the sidewall a small amount which optimizes steering input while maximizing road contact.

For instance, a 235/35/19 sized Falken Azenis FK510 has a tread width of 8.4" which is perfect for an 8.5" wide rim. However a 235/35/19 Firehawk Indy 500 has a tread width of 8.1" - which would be running narrow on an 8.5" rim (and a better fit on an 8" wide wheel) - in which case I might move up to a 245. This obviously changes by manufacturer and by sidewall size (sidewall [35%] obviously being a percentage of the printed tread width [235mm] - giving you your measured sidewall height).

Here's a great vid that Engineering Explained released last week on tire sizing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHS2LCiUVw

I'm sure you know all this already, but just in case someone else doesn't.

By the way, the Bridgestone replacement for the RE-11 is the S007A.

Thanks. Did not research enough.
Went off visual and they are similar.
Miss the RE-11.

Last edited:

DSMconvert1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE PP
I really like my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Decent all-season tire and holds the power a lot better than my old Pirelli's.

IS38 JB4 Meth