GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To DSG or not to DSG…?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
FF cars are already kinda soulless, why not go DSG and seal the deal?
Get heavy or don’t 💀

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
as others have said, try it yourself and consider how much city /traffic driving you do. Two things to note the clutch in the MT MAY be a bit weak but, if you go DSG you MAY be accused of being a wimp.

I have slight regrets of not even trying DSG. 95% of my driving is w/o traffic

Last edited:

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
This is a simple question of Manual vs Automatic

As I'm firmly in camp manual, I'm obligated to provide a smart ass post.

Tossing health issues aside, it usually comes down to what you want out of driving.
Do you want to make sure you beat the soccer mom in her SUV from stop light to stop light?
Go with the auto.
Are you very concerned about some teenager in his dads turbo Honda Accord beating you in a street race?
Go with the auto.
Are you very concerned about the impressing other GTI owners with your drag strip receipts?
Go with the auto.
Have you been addicted to youtube videos of DSG farts and now you want toss in all the parts so you can annoy your neighbors as well?
Go with the auto.
Are you really just a "I need an appliance to go from point a to point b" kinda person but GTI's always caught your eye?
Go with the auto.
Do you have plans to try and replicate what you saw on the internet, lower the car and go for Stage 8 APR\ECS\DonkeyKong tune and try your hand at starting a "Hey guys what's going on it's your boy S-Naaash5467329" youtube channel.
Go with the auto (or just buy the Golf R Mr\Mrs moneybags)
Do you have your TED talk all planned out to spring on your passengers where you have them stare at your tachometer as you tell them how fast the car shifts?
Go with the auto.

Do you not care about competing with other cars or stats and just enjoy the little nuances of a manual car?
Get the manual.

Keep in mind that I'm the type of person who prefers a manual transmission in NYC traffic so my advice should be completely ignored and probably ridiculed.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
This is a simple question of Manual vs Automatic

As I'm firmly in camp manual, I'm obligated to provide a smart ass post.

Tossing health issues aside, it usually comes down to what you want out of driving.
Do you want to make sure you beat the soccer mom in her SUV from stop light to stop light?
Go with the auto.
Are you very concerned about some teenager in his dads turbo Honda Accord beating you in a street race?
Go with the auto.
Are you very concerned about the impressing other GTI owners with your drag strip receipts?
Go with the auto.
Have you been addicted to youtube videos of DSG farts and now you want toss in all the parts so you can annoy your neighbors as well?
Go with the auto.
Are you really just a "I need an appliance to go from point a to point b" kinda person but GTI's always caught your eye?
Go with the auto.
Do you have plans to try and replicate what you saw on the internet, lower the car and go for Stage 8 APR\ECS\DonkeyKong tune and try your hand at starting a "Hey guys what's going on it's your boy S-Naaash5467329" youtube channel.
Go with the auto (or just buy the Golf R Mr\Mrs moneybags)
Do you have your TED talk all planned out to spring on your passengers where you have them stare at your tachometer as you tell them how fast the car shifts?
Go with the auto.

Do you not care about competing with other cars or stats and just enjoy the little nuances of a manual car?
Get the manual.

Keep in mind that I'm the type of person who prefers a manual transmission in NYC traffic so my advice should be completely ignored and probably ridiculed.
I'm voting for you in the next presidential election

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
To each his own, I like a manual and always have, only one auto in over 50 years of driving. A manual to me is more engaging and never thought it a pain in traffic, but then I rode motorcycles in city traffic not a car for the most part. Each person has to make up their own mind and live with it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I am 48 years old so have ben driving for 32 years. I've had 9 vehicles in my life. 5 manuals, 4 autos. Horses for courses. Small under-powered economy cars always benefited from sticks to help with power delivery plus the autos when I was younger were terrible. Sitting in bumper to bumper commuting traffic blows in a stick and I dropped one of the ones I had when we lived outside of D.C. b/c of that. Sticks were always cheaper to buy and own/maintain and typically got better mpgs which was also a plus.
With my current Sportwagen I had a choice and went DSG b/c I knew I would turbo-swap and add significant power above stock so the DSG was a no-brainer for me as I didn't want to mess with upgrading the clutch etc. vs. a TCU tune. We have one manual in the house (my prev. daily that my son now drives) and I actually drove it today, they are fun for sure - the Ford MX75 manual is a great little tranny and makes the Focus a blast to drive. I feel that the DSG is the best auto I've ever owned and once you understand how it works and why it does what it does, it's amazing. I don't ever regret getting it. Hooning in the mountains with the paddle shifters is glorious!