GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To DSG or not to DSG…?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
And a well timed hand brake turn drops those panties.

Don't DSG's have the little electic hand brake button? Poor DSG guys and gals are never getting laid.

Only the DSG R's have the little button. DSG GTI's have the old fashioned handbrake.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
And here's mine in return:
View attachment 215527

1622579731955.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Add a VR6 with a magnaflow and those crisp, plaid seats will never be the same again.

Gonna be leaving a snail trail when they get out...

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
I must've had the easiest decision in here. I "know" how to drive a manual, but I am fucking terrible at it so DSG was the way for me.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
It's completely up to you man. Everyone has their own reasons for why they went with the option they did. That reason can totally not apply to you and your decision, lol.

I went for manual knowing DSG was superior in a drag because, well, I'm not dragging... I totally prefer the driving experience and engagement I get out of manual. If you don't, that is totally fine with you. The DSG is a fantastic automatic from what I hear but don't kid yourself because in the end, that is what it is. It'll take all the "labor" work out of the experience (paddles don't count). If you're down for the rowing of the gears, then you know what you want already.

I'll add, some people said because of traffic, manual is a bad option. This is questionable. I've been stuck in traffic hella times and the fact that I act on instinct driving manual, I don't even realize I'm doing anything to keep the car moving. In fact, I'm probably on my phone, multi-tasking and whatever, while I'm slowing perching the car forward and I don't even realize it. I will say however, hill assist is hella awesome because if there is one thing I do not miss from my prior manual cars was the lack of that feature. I drove my buddies Genesis manual once he bought it not too long ago and he had it parallel parked infront of his home on a hill. Holy crap did that scare the bejesus out of me when I had to get out of that spot with his brand new car, lol. It's been awhile since hills/rolling backwards have been an "issue".

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
It's completely up to you man. Everyone has their own reasons for why they went with the option they did. That reason can totally not apply to you and your decision, lol.

I went for manual knowing DSG was superior in a drag because, well, I'm not dragging... I totally prefer the driving experience and engagement I get out of manual. If you don't, that is totally fine with you. The DSG is a fantastic automatic from what I hear but don't kid yourself because in the end, that is what it is. It'll take all the "labor" work out of the experience (paddles don't count). If you're down for the rowing of the gears, then you know what you want already.

I'll add, some people said because of traffic, manual is a bad option. This is questionable. I've been stuck in traffic hella times and the fact that I act on instinct driving manual, I don't even realize I'm doing anything to keep the car moving. In fact, I'm probably on my phone, multi-tasking and whatever, while I'm slowing perching the car forward and I don't even realize it. I will say however, hill assist is hella awesome because if there is one thing I do not miss from my prior manual cars was the lack of that feature. I drove my buddies Genesis manual once he bought it not too long ago and he had it parallel parked infront of his home on a hill. Holy crap did that scare the bejesus out of me when I had to get out of that spot with his brand new car, lol. It's been awhile since hills/rolling backwards have been an "issue".
The one thing I'm still cranky about IS hill assist.
Don't like it one bit. Don't need it. Don't want it. Don't like it...and I live on a hill in a very hilly area.

That being said, I get why others appreciate it.

jaystonewee

Go Kart Champion
DSG. This from a diehard manual fan. VW's six speed manual in the GTI's is a mess that takes too much to feel OK at best.

Bad comparison: friend had a 2008ish Tacoma 6speed, I thought "hell yeah brother (insert Hogan meme here) until I drove it. It was atrocious. And this coming from someone who enjoyed the 1st gen Tacoma 5 speed with 3.4L V6!

Manual because manual has lost its appeal to me. The 1-2 shift on mk7's essentially made me sell my car, even after a lot of manual trans mods and bolt ons. No sense polishing a turd

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
DSG. This from a diehard manual fan.
because manual has lost its appeal to me. The 1-2 shift on mk7's essentially made me sell my car, even after a lot of manual trans mods and bolt ons. No sense polishing a turd

after owning a 6MT 2015 GTI, then a DSG 2015 GTI, I bought a 6MT Alltrack last year because I hated the DQ250 untuned and after I got the Unitronic TCU tune. I was scarred by 100K miles of hating my DSG so I thought I must’ve just been a manual guy, without even realizing it.

well, now I have APR Plus on my 6MT Alltrack, and I can’t stand the fact I’m afraid to stab the gas for that low-end torque that I can now put down through all 4 wheels. So I feel like I neutered the whole value proposition of getting an AWD Golf lol (it’ll obviously come in handy in inclement conditions but I definitely got it for the daily driving performance benefit).

And really, the main reason I chose 6MT this time was because it was my last chance. Regardless, I regret it. Wish I went DSG. I’d trade my Alltrack with a DSG owner who wishes they went 6MT haha

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
I love how some MK7 guys are so die hard about having a manual, when the manual in the MK7 isn't even good.

I could at least understand the argument for passing up the DSG to drive a brilliant manual. I wouldn't pass up a filet mignon for a ribeye, but I get it. Driving a manual MK7, you're passing up a filet mignon for Spam.

At the end of the day a shit manual is still better than driving DSG. Either you want an enthusiast car or you don't. If you don't then it doesn't matter.
My first GTI was DSG, it was slow, clunky and boring at normal speeds and ultimately showed me that there's just no substitute for manual.

The manual isn't even bad anyway. One $70 short shifter and a spring removal and you're good to go.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
At the end of the day a shit manual is still better than driving DSG. Either you want an enthusiast car or you don't. If you don't then it doesn't matter.
My first GTI was DSG, it was slow, clunky and boring at normal speeds and ultimately taught me that there's just no substitute for manual.

The manual isn't even bad anyway. One $70 short shifter and a spring removal and you're good to go.

there will never be a common ground on this topic... ever. I’ve driven manual in almost every MK XX GTI over 30 years and this is my first DSG. Added power and the joy of driving it crushes every manual I’ve ever had (minus my old WRX)...love the drive....I don’t miss shifting sitting in 2 hours of traffic a day AT ALL.

at the end of the day, it’s all subjective to each person

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
The one thing I'm still cranky about IS hill assist.
Don't like it one bit. Don't need it. Don't want it. Don't like it...and I live on a hill in a very hilly area.

That being said, I get why others appreciate it.

You can easily deactivate it with OBD11. Powa to you.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
DSG = celibacy.

I think we figured this out. I think if you want to go .5 of a second faster with your dick in your hand for the rest of your life, get a DSG. If you want to get head, smash ass and get high fives from everyone that's cool, you gotta roll with the 6MT.
Dick in my hand you say? 🤔