GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota GR Corolla Discussion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The Corolla will be a much better autox and HPDE weapon than a GTI or Golf R, but I don't I don't know if I could daily that hideousness.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
The Corolla will be a much better autox and HPDE weapon than a GTI or Golf R, but I don't I don't know if I could daily that hideousness.
Cop/boy racer magnet.

It's cool, but subtle, this thing definitely isn't.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
What in the world? What track have you been at? 86's are one of the most popular track cars around here. The GRolla will likely see plenty of track usage. I actually suspect it will be faster than my Mk8 R at many tracks.
You should buy that as a license plate, and squat on it until the GRs hit the showrooms...then sell it for profit!!! ;)

bentin

Autocross Champion
You should buy that as a license plate, and squat on it until the GRs hit the showrooms...then sell it for profit!!! ;)
I'm busy trying to come up with something for the R. Texas let's you see what's available. ARRGGH, AHOYHOY, and AVAST are all out there.

SaiiBoost

Go Kart Newbie
What in the world? What track have you been at? 86's are one of the most popular track cars around here. The GRolla will likely see plenty of track usage. I actually suspect it will be faster than my Mk8 R at many tracks.

There are more wannabes than track enthusiasts around here. Tons of clapped out stanced BRZs and Civic Type Rs all over. I have a feeling the GRolla will suffer the same fate. Stanced and hella flushed into the abyss 😭

bentin

Autocross Champion
There are more wannabes than track enthusiasts around here. Tons of clapped out stanced BRZs and Civic Type Rs all over. I have a feeling the GRolla will suffer the same fate. Stanced and hella flushed into the abyss 😭
Wait, are you saying that VW's are immune to that? And are we still talking about track days?

SaiiBoost

Go Kart Newbie
Wait, are you saying that VW's are immune to that? And are we still talking about track days?
Wasn't talking about track days to start lol. Was saying that this will probably be yet another enthusiast level car that will get bought up by normies, ricers, and Youtubers, then defiled into the abyss ☠️

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I sold my MK7 GTI back in Sept of last year and actually just picked up a '22 Corolla Hatchback as a daily, and already have a spot in line at a dealer for a Gorolla. I think the biggest problem with the Gorolla is actually the same problem the Golf / GTI/ R have.

When I bought my '17 GTI it was 22.5k OTD. At the time, a new Golf R was 37k MSRP and not prone to any discounts. Obviously the drivetrains are different, but you could get 80% of what the Golf R offers in a GTI for ~60% of the price. Not that anything about the Golf R was bad, but the GTI was a bargain for what it offered.

The same will be true about the Gorolla. I paid 22k for my '22 Hatchback. Unlike the GR Yaris which was a wild departure from the standard Yaris, the Gorolla will share a good bit of its body in white / interior components with the normal Corolla. Will the drivetrain alone / driving experience be good enough to justify 15k+ more than a base corolla, given that they essentially share the same bones? Here in the states the Corolla definitely sits in the economy car segment. And while economy cars have actually all gotten pretty good due to increased manufacturing capabilities and processes, the perception of a Gorolla essentially being a piped-up 20k car may not sit well with some people.

On the other hand, the Evo 8 was basically a 15k car with a 15k drivetrain and people loved that. So I hope I'm wrong and these sell like crazy

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
I would be on the fence on this car... but I think I will go to an S3, just because I am getting older and it would be a better fit for me.

With that said, Motive from AU has been working on a GR Yaris, and as we already know, almost everything done to that car will translate into the GR Corolla. They hit 10's on the 1/4 mile, but had issues with pressurizing the cooling system. They also have a TCU for the central differential where they are able to set ratios where ever they want and are not set into the pre-sets from Toyota. I think they should have gone with a 4 cyl for the Corolla, but the power this 3 cyl is able to access is pretty impressive. Koenigsegg have a 600hp 3 cyl in their Gemera, it is a 2.0L but I'm sure they are not pushing it to the extremes.
https://www.youtube.com/c/MotiveVideo/videos
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1127582_how-koenigsegg-s-3-cylinder-engine-makes-600-horsepower

bfury5

Autocross Champion
I have watched a few of the Motive videos, crazy how stout the bottom end / head of the G16 are, especially considering it's an open deck. I'd imagine 350-400hp should be pretty reliable long term. And nice that engine has both PI and DI so no carbon issues

bentin

Autocross Champion
I have watched a few of the Motive videos, crazy how stout the bottom end / head of the G16 are, especially considering it's an open deck. I'd imagine 350-400hp should be pretty reliable long term. And nice that engine has both PI and DI so no carbon issues
Toyota royally buggered the dual injection in the BRZ. The company that bought a fleet of 86s for Nurburgring rentals found out that they leaned way out at high rpm and high g’s. I’m not sure that I trust them with it yet.