GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota GR Corolla Discussion

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Toyota royally buggered the dual injection in the BRZ. The company that bought a fleet of 86s for Nurburgring rentals found out that they leaned way out at high rpm and high g’s. I’m not sure that I trust them with it yet.
IIRC Toyota has been implementing their "D-4S" (port/direct injection) tech for a few years. Almost all of their normal engines (the 2.0l M20A-FKS and 2.5l A25A-FKS) have had the tech since 2018. Anything implemented on the BRZ/86 likely came from Subaru's side since that's their engine

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
If I had Grolla money to spend, it would go towards a mid-low mileage TTS or S3

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Guess it depends if you want an automatic. I can’t see anyone cross shopping those cars. Maybe it’s just because I wouldn’t.
Another problem is that in this market, a used TTS or S3 isn't the depreciated-German-car value that it should be. But yeah they are very different. Used WRX / STI would be a better comparison

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Well maybe. I put some value on Audi features and I don't object to DCT / automatics. In the case of the TTS, I suspect cg is an asset that the Grolla will struggle to match. Everyday is not a track / ax day, just my preferences.

AM407

Autocross Champion
I sold my MK7 GTI back in Sept of last year and actually just picked up a '22 Corolla Hatchback as a daily, and already have a spot in line at a dealer for a Gorolla. I think the biggest problem with the Gorolla is actually the same problem the Golf / GTI/ R have.

When I bought my '17 GTI it was 22.5k OTD. At the time, a new Golf R was 37k MSRP and not prone to any discounts. Obviously the drivetrains are different, but you could get 80% of what the Golf R offers in a GTI for ~60% of the price. Not that anything about the Golf R was bad, but the GTI was a bargain for what it offered.

The same will be true about the Gorolla. I paid 22k for my '22 Hatchback. Unlike the GR Yaris which was a wild departure from the standard Yaris, the Gorolla will share a good bit of its body in white / interior components with the normal Corolla. Will the drivetrain alone / driving experience be good enough to justify 15k+ more than a base corolla, given that they essentially share the same bones? Here in the states the Corolla definitely sits in the economy car segment. And while economy cars have actually all gotten pretty good due to increased manufacturing capabilities and processes, the perception of a Gorolla essentially being a piped-up 20k car may not sit well with some people.

On the other hand, the Evo 8 was basically a 15k car with a 15k drivetrain and people loved that. So I hope I'm wrong and these sell like crazy
How are you liking the Corolla?

I’ll be replacing my MK6 GTI sometime and am tempted to save some money and get the regular Corolla hatchback. I know it’s not going to be a performance car, but seems like it’s at least enjoyable/fun to drive with a stick? No regrets after the GTI?

But I also might just splurge and go GR Corolla in a couple years. Not sure how I’d like living with it as a daily driver, but I’m intrigued enough to maybe give it a try.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
How are you liking the Corolla?

I’ll be replacing my MK6 GTI sometime and am tempted to save some money and get the regular Corolla hatchback. I know it’s not going to be a performance car, but seems like it’s at least enjoyable/fun to drive with a stick? No regrets after the GTI?

But I also might just splurge and go GR Corolla in a couple years. Not sure how I’d like living with it as a daily driver, but I’m intrigued enough to maybe give it a try.
Corolla is pretty good, 6mt makes it less economy feeling than the CVT. This new TNGA platform Corolla (2018+) is leaps and bounds better than the old platform in terms of overall quality, and feels modern. Interior is base Golf-esque in the sense that it has nice quality, nothing fancy but just put together right. I had a Volt for a while when I still owned the GTI, sold the GTI and just had the Volt, and now just have this. GTI was definitely more fun, but this is substantially more fun to drive everyday than the Volt. I think with a neutral alignment and non-stock tires it would be all the fun needed for a DD.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Im looking forward to seeing one in person, don't think I would ever buy one though. I'll be happy just taking photos... 😅

Even at msrp of 40k I'd be tempted to grab an A5...but we all know dealers will mark these GRs up.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Im looking forward to seeing one in person, don't think I would ever buy one though. I'll be happy just taking photos... 😅

Even at msrp of 40k I'd be tempted to grab an A5...but we all know dealers will mark these GRs up.
Really hoping they don't eff up MSRP. Dealers are another story though

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Yaris but same idea.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Honestly... you know what... our car market is so fucking boring these days, I am thankful Toyota is doing something. That triple exhaust is weird though
That whole car is weird, 3 cylinder, check, carbon roof, check, ugly ass body kit, check, 3 exhausts, and now 4 doors, but 2 seats, but like you said, you gotta love it