GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota GR Corolla Discussion

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Motor Trend First Look
It’s finally here. I think I found my next car after my GTI. Now the only question is, when will an automatic or DCT be available? Not offering an automatic means Toyota is missing out on a large chunk of market share in North America. I, and probably many others, simply aren’t interested in driving a manual in city, stop and go traffic.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If automatic is important to you I’d lump that in with tons of other places the GTI shines over thr GR (superior interior & ride quality).

While I’m obviously speculating here, I really can’t see many jumping ship from MQB cars to the new GR.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
When I first saw the GR Yaris I about wet my pants. This Crayola GR doesn't do it for me. When they add stupid mark ups to the price the R will end up being a better deal. I'll keep happily driving my MK6.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
If automatic is important to you I’d lump that in with tons of other places the GTI shines over thr GR (superior interior & ride quality).

While I’m obviously speculating here, I really can’t see many jumping ship from MQB cars to the new GR.

It's just that I don't like the idea of having to shift and clutch all the time in my commute. Toronto rush hour traffic is literally stop and go. A 20 minute drive to get to work can easily take over an hour pre-COVID.

40k? For a 3 cylinder hatchback?

Pass.

Those 3 cylinders make 300HP stock. It's basically a rally car for the streets. A tuned GR Yaris did under 1 minute on Tsukuba. Anything under 1 minute is super fast at Tsukuba.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Not kink shaming automatics, I still enjoy driving my wife’s ‘21 GLI, but the auto & creature comforts thing goes hand in hand.

Case and point, my is38 GTI is poverty spec and the GLI is a Autobahn. Just the way she goes more often than not if you look at who’s buying what and for what use…you don’t see a lot of Autobahns doing track duty.
66573567-389E-4558-B795-EB4CB9BD35E2.jpeg

dtfd

Autocross Champion
It's just that I don't like the idea of having to shift and clutch all the time in my commute. Toronto rush hour traffic is literally stop and go. A 20 minute drive to get to work can easily take over an hour pre-COVID.

Those 3 cylinders make 300HP stock. It's basically a rally car for the streets. A tuned GR Yaris did under 1 minute on Tsukuba. Anything under 1 minute is super fast at Tsukuba.

First of all, that Yaris is deeply impressive. But that's going to be my point here. I think that engine makes perfect sense on that Yaris. I also would seriously consider the Yaris GR if they brought it over, it's small and punchy which is what I like in a car.

The corolla is bigger and with that price tag it will be swimming in the same pool as the Golf R and the CTR. All going to an enthusiast base that likes to tinker with their cars. I don't know much extra power you can squeeze out of that 3 cylinder but you can really turn up the dial on the R or CTR with minimal effort. I hate to be the "no replacement for displacement" guy but that does ring true (to an extent, that saying has been tarnished by american v8 guys getting 112hp out of their 5 liter engine).

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
This car is going to sell extremely well if they can get it out the door under 40K. It is the modern day STI. That being said it looks a bit juvenile to me- I’m 34. If Lexus made something like this with 1 more cylinder I’d consider the switch.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This car is going to sell extremely well if they can get it out the door under 40K. It is the modern day STI. That being said it looks a bit juvenile to me- I’m 34. If Lexus made something like this with 1 more cylinder I’d consider the switch.

Would you, because if it was a Lexus it would be 70k.

I’m 31 and feel like it’s a bit boy racer, but kinda cool in that sense. I agree the STI crowd will flock to them (and I’ll be there to gap them in my GTI lol).

the

Autocross Champion
Damn it lol, imagine how hard dudes will SIMP over the decent-ish looking chicks with an enormous IG following who buy these.
I have a feeling we are on that timeline. I mean don't get me wrong, its a neat car. Would be fun to watch them at track days, but I can't imagine anything other than a girl stepping out of it.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
I like it!

I have no intention of jumping ship. But considering Subaru is killing off the STI and everything is moving to automatic transmissions and EVs, it's nice to see Toyota stepping up with a 300hp, 3200ish pounds, adjustable torque split (including a split with 70% power to the rear wheels) AWD 6MT hatch with Brembos and optional front and rear LSD.

bentin

Autocross Champion
I'm sort of debating it over the Mk8 R.

Advantages, fixed caliper 4 piston fronts and fixed 2 piston rears
Mechanical lsd's front and rear with 30/70 power distribution
200ish pounds lighter than the R
Possibly a clutch up to the actual job
ECU already open for tuning
Cloth seats and no goofball MIB3
A carbon roof instead of a leaking sunroof

Disadvantages
Just a skitch too loud
Exhaust is beyond dumb, I'd have to confirm I can dump that stupid center exhaust and be able to install a hitch
I assume markups will be hard to avoid, and I won't pay one
375hp is the highest output I'm seeing on pump gas

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
I'm sort of debating it over the Mk8 R.

Advantages, fixed caliper 4 piston fronts and fixed 2 piston rears
Mechanical lsd's front and rear with 30/70 power distribution
200ish pounds lighter than the R
Possibly a clutch up to the actual job
ECU already open for tuning
Cloth seats and no goofball MIB3
A carbon roof instead of a leaking sunroof

Disadvantages
Just a skitch too loud
Exhaust is beyond dumb, I'd have to confirm I can dump that stupid center exhaust and be able to install a hitch
I assume markups will be hard to avoid, and I won't pay one
375hp is the highest output I'm seeing on pump gas

All of this. If I was in the market, this would be a strong contender over a R, especially if the price undercuts VW and there is an exhaust option that isn't as hideous looking.