GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota GR Corolla Discussion

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Yeah as a track car, the engine might just run out of steam up top. I'm hoping the solid AWD + maybe a lighter nose (all alu 3cyl) will make for good weight distribution and not be as nose heavy as a GTI / R

This video shows the GR Yaris as faster in the corners, but the mk8 R as faster on the straights, which makes sense.

The awd system is closer to the mk7 R though, just with a clutch that can take being engaged/slipping fulltime and an overdriven rear diff.

bentin

Autocross Champion
The awd system is closer to the mk7 R though, just with a clutch that can take being engaged/slipping fulltime and an overdriven rear diff.
Pretty big difference between 50/50 for the Mk7/8 and 30/70 for the GR though. But here I am with 100/0, just waiting for VW to successfully float an R across the ocean for me...

Last edited:

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Pretty big difference between 50/50 for the Mk7/8 and 30/70 for the GR though. But here I am with 100/0, just waiting for VW to successfully float an R across the ocean for me...
Yeah, as for the effectiveness of the awd system, it is a big difference. I meant mechanically and layout wise, it's closest to the mk7 R, than the mk8 or any wrx/sti.

If you could have a custom rear diff made that was a higher drive ratio and get a custom haldex tune, you could basically have what the base GR Corolla has. Make that diff an LSD and add another to the front and you'd have the circuit pack equivalent. The haldex clutches would burn up in short order though, 'cause they weren't designed for that much slipping/heat.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Yeah, as for the effectiveness of the awd system, it is a big difference. I meant mechanically and layout wise, it's closest to the mk7 R, than the mk8 or any wrx/sti.

If you could have a custom rear diff made that was a higher drive ratio and get a custom haldex tune, you could basically have what the base GR Corolla has. Make that diff an LSD and add another to the front and you'd have the circuit pack equivalent. The haldex clutches would burn up in short order though, 'cause they weren't designed for that much slipping/heat.
But until they cooked themselves, it would probably be pretty fun!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
At COTA today.

20220715_172306.jpg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Actually ended up behind him on track. Very briefly because we had a black flag, but that thing was quick. I barely passed him on the back straight. Granted he's tuned, but still. That 3 cylinder is potent.

Figure he's at about 280 whp since it's 2800lbs.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Actually ended up behind him on track. Very briefly because we had a black flag, but that thing was quick. I barely passed him on the back straight. Granted he's tuned, but still. That 3 cylinder is potent.

Figure he's at about 280 whp since it's 2800lbs.
If he's tuned, it's probably closer to 300HP at the wheels. Most dynos show GR Yaris making 270HP to 280HP at the wheels. Either way, they're really, really quick.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
If he's tuned, it's probably closer to 300HP at the wheels. Most dynos show GR Yaris making 270HP to 280HP at the wheels. Either way, they're really, really quick.
But not quick enough. I'll post the brief video i have, but now we have a reference point that even in the curves, the MQB can be quicker. Granted mine isn't stock by any means, but neither was his. And not sure how well he knew the track but liked like he was going all out.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Ok. Not very exciting, but you can get a feel for what the car is capable of. Unfortunately, the Corolla GR is going to be 500 lbs more than the Yaris GR.
The juicy stuff is at 3 min mark as we were stuck behind traffic before that. Beautiful metallic Green 911 at 1:30 although you can barely see it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I saw my first GR on the road. It was red, pulled out onto street just in front of me. Then followed it on to a freeway on ramp. Able to drive beside it on freeway.

It looked low, fast and wide more like a hill climb car. I want to drive one.

bentin

Autocross Champion
I saw my first GR on the road. It was red, pulled out onto street just in front of me. Then followed it on to a freeway on ramp. Able to drive beside it on freeway.

It looked low, fast and wide more like a hill climb car. I want to drive one.
Yaris or Corolla? Was it on Manufacturer or Mexican plates? They aren't even priced yet for the US market, much less delivered.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Yaris or Corolla? Was it on Manufacturer or Mexican plates? They aren't even priced yet for the US market, much less delivered.
+1, I talked to the owner of the Toyota dealership last month and he said there are no GR Corollas in the US, other than the ones used for promotion. That he is scheduled to receive some (already sold...) mid to late fall this year. And he added that Toyota sent them a letter telling them to limit the pre-orders early this year... apparently, they have more orders than the amount of cars they can produce at this time. I think the GR's are built in just one specific factory in Japan. He said to check the Road and Track article online... I just found it, it's from April 2022.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a39714528/2023-toyota-gr-corolla-orders-demand/

This is the same thing that happened with the C8 Corvette when I was working at the Chevy dealership. August 2020 they were told to stop ordering C8's, because the quota for 2020 and most 2021 was already allocated. Every C8 that arrived at our dealership was sold almost a year in advance, and we were only receiving 1-2 a month.