GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota GR Corolla Discussion

bfury5

Autocross Champion
+1, I talked to the owner of the Toyota dealership last month and he said there are no GR Corollas in the US, other than the ones used for promotion. That he is scheduled to receive some (already sold...) mid to late fall this year. And he added that Toyota sent them a letter telling them to limit the pre-orders early this year... apparently, they have more orders than the amount of cars they can produce at this time. I think the GR's are built in just one specific factory in Japan. He said to check the Road and Track article online... I just found it, it's from April 2022.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a39714528/2023-toyota-gr-corolla-orders-demand/

This is the same thing that happened with the C8 Corvette when I was working at the Chevy dealership. August 2020 they were told to stop ordering C8's, because the quota for 2020 and most 2021 was already allocated. Every C8 that arrived at our dealership was sold almost a year in advance, and we were only receiving 1-2 a month.
Here's hoping dealers aren't fighting each other for them, but I bet that will happen

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Here's hoping dealers aren't fighting each other for them, but I bet that will happen
From what I've heard dealers already know what they're getting. A friend of mine has a deposit down for one of these with 1st allocation at a dealer,and the dealer already knew it was getting 4 of them, 3 Core and 1 Circuit.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
From what I've heard dealers already know what they're getting. A friend of mine has a deposit down for one of these with 1st allocation at a dealer,and the dealer already knew it was getting 4 of them, 3 Core and 1 Circuit.
Damn I should call my dealer. I'm 2nd allocation at a place, but I believe it's a little smaller of a dealer so I'm hoping they will get at least 2.

Rastasame

I have no intention of jumping ship. But considering Subaru is killing off the STI and everything is moving to automatic transmissions and EVs, it's nice to see Toyota stepping up with a 300hp, 3200ish pounds, adjustable torque split (including a split with 70% power to the rear wheels) AWD 6MT hatch with Brembos and optional front and rear LSD.

mobdro 2022

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I have no intention of jumping ship. But considering Subaru is killing off the STI and everything is moving to automatic transmissions and EVs, it's nice to see Toyota stepping up with a 300hp, 3200ish pounds, adjustable torque split (including a split with 70% power to the rear wheels) AWD 6MT hatch with Brembos and optional front and rear LSD.
The trouble will be actually finding one. The second problem will be paying a reasonable price for it. If you could actually buy one of these for base MSRP it would be a very good value but I suspect it will be marked up horribly by the dealerships. It would be nice if you could order them direct like a Tesla. Forgive me for saying Tesla for those of you who don't like them or their CEO.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Seriously, the STI was never hard to find and was never marked up.

This Corolla is going to be a unicorn with a 15 grand mark up.

At 50 large and hard to find almost all of its appeal is just wishful thinking.

bentin

Autocross Champion
I don't know, there are currently 150 CTRs listed and 11 Golf Rs. I know Toyota is limiting GRolla production by choice, but VW is making just about any alternative more appealing.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion

Interesting first post and the exact same comment I made on page one :unsure:

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Still holding out hope for a GRC. I talk to my dealer every couple of weeks. Still 2nd in line (and have been reassured multiple times the guy in front isn't going to back out), but I don't have any interest in playing crazy games or trying to chase one down. If this dealer gets me one, great. If not, then no harm no foul

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Still holding out hope for a GRC. I talk to my dealer every couple of weeks. Still 2nd in line (and have been reassured multiple times the guy in front isn't going to back out), but I don't have any interest in playing crazy games or trying to chase one down. If this dealer gets me one, great. If not, then no harm no foul
The problem you will have if you actually get the opportunity will be the marked up price.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Reviews I'm seeing are that the GR is a blast to drive, but most won't want to use it as an only car due to the more hardcore nature of the car. It's more of a toy.

To me, that defeats the purpose of a hatchback, and is why I love my mildly modded GTI so much. I slogged through traffic this morning, comfortable as could be, I can put seats down and make a run to get mulch, I can pick up the kid and friends from school and drop at soccer practice, and then track it this weekend, and it does all of them pretty well. Only downside to the GTI/R for me is the cooling capacity and blowing smoke under braking, which can be fixed with a variety of PCV/CC solution and an oil cooler.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The problem you will have if you actually get the opportunity will be the marked up price.
I drive by about 8 dealerships on my way to work and for the last year, the lots were empty of new cars. The lots are full of new cars right now and supply issues still persist, so I'd have to conclude that the full inventory is due to a slow down in buying. Might be easier to get cars at or below MSRP again here soon, if not now.

My 19 Rabbit Edition MSRP was $30k, I paid $26.7 new. Paid 24k for 18 S new. 24k for a 15 Club Miata new when MSRP was 29K. I'm hoping we'll be getting back shrewd buyers being able to get decent deals again, instead of this MSRP plus market adjustment crap.

It may still happen to cars like this though. I remember when the EVO came to the US, dealers were asking for $5000 market adjustment.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Reviews I'm seeing are that the GR is a blast to drive, but most won't want to use it as an only car due to the more hardcore nature of the car. It's more of a toy.

To me, that defeats the purpose of a hatchback, and is why I love my mildly modded GTI so much. I slogged through traffic this morning, comfortable as could be, I can put seats down and make a run to get mulch, I can pick up the kid and friends from school and drop at soccer practice, and then track it this weekend, and it does all of them pretty well. Only downside to the GTI/R for me is the cooling capacity and blowing smoke under braking, which can be fixed with a variety of PCV/CC solution and an oil cooler.
I'm the opposite, and I'm really starting to think the R is a step in the wrong direction for me. I'm sick of how civilized the Mk7 is. It's no fun. It's capable and it doesn't complain about being asked to do fun things like a Mercedes or Volvo will. But it could use a lot more juvenile tendencies. There are no surprises, no snap oversteer, no wagging rear end, no sudden unweighting of the steering, etc. Aside from the lack of tuning potential, the GRolla is seeming more appealing to me right now.

Of course so is just keeping the GTI as a responsible car and building a Caterham in its previous parking spot, have fun on the street, VDub! I just discovered that my neighbor with a 997 actually has a four poster in his garage and a Caterham on the lift. Imma have to move, or I'll seem like a I copied him.