GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Toyota Supra 2018/19

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Is anyone else excited for the new Toyota Supra? Now that it looks like its finally going to happen. Unlike the FRS/BRZ that was supposedly to be the next Supra.
I've been thinking this will be my next car, as long as Toyota doesn't bring the price tag up to GTR money I should be able to afford it when it comes out. Supposedly starting at 40k and going up quickly with the addons it will have available to it.

What do you guys think of it?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I've realized that swapping a 2JZ into an FRS is probably a more pure way to make a real 'supra'.

The shape of the FRS has the nice long nose and of course a very good basic shape not too far from the ole supra. Add on some similar wings, solid wheels/suspension and you have yourself a light ass car with as much power as you wanna build it to.

The supra, in my eyes, is really all about that 2JZ, the amazing sounds it makes, the way it pulls, and the taillights. Not putting a proper or even updated 2JZ into the new, kind of odd looking 'supra' just isn't cutting it for me.

I'd much rather swap an FRS if it were me.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
I've realized that swapping a 2JZ into an FRS is probably a more pure way to make a real 'supra'.

The shape of the FRS has the nice long nose and of course a very good basic shape not too far from the ole supra. Add on some similar wings, solid wheels/suspension and you have yourself a light ass car with as much power as you wanna build it to.

The supra, in my eyes, is really all about that 2JZ, the amazing sounds it makes, the way it pulls, and the taillights. Not putting a proper or even updated 2JZ into the new, kind of odd looking 'supra' just isn't cutting it for me.

I'd much rather swap an FRS if it were me.

Oh I agree, it is all about the 2JZ. It looks like the new supra will have a similar set up, 3.0 liter inline 6 just like the old one. Hopefully it has the same bulletproofness as the original.

I personally like the body lines of the new supra over the FRS. Dont get me wrong the FRS is a nice car, same with the BRZ. I almost bought one when I bought my GTI. But I needed something with 4 doors.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Oh are they putting in a straight 6? last I heard was some new V-6 turbo from a lexus or something.

REALLY hope someone decided to stick to the roots and do a bulletproof inline 6 turbo...

Also, just to add, for most of us on here price is a factor. No clue what the supra goes for but its obviously gonna cost more than a ~15k used FRS + :)iono:) 15K or so for a decent swap setup.

ben_m

Ready to race!
Considering its essentially going to be a clone of the BMW Z5 I would venture to say around 50K is going to be the starting price. Probably loaded up close to 70k

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Considering its essentially going to be a clone of the BMW Z5 I would venture to say around 50K is going to be the starting price. Probably loaded up close to 70k

Thats what I am afraid of. Being built off the BMW platform its going to demand BMW pricing.. :(

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Oh are they putting in a straight 6? last I heard was some new V-6 turbo from a lexus or something.

REALLY hope someone decided to stick to the roots and do a bulletproof inline 6 turbo...

Also, just to add, for most of us on here price is a factor. No clue what the supra goes for but its obviously gonna cost more than a ~15k used FRS + :)iono:) 15K or so for a decent swap setup.

Thats what I keep reading. I guess we will see. And absolutely price is a factor for me. I am hoping things will line up for me next year where it allows me to get this car.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
best of luck sir! you would be one of the lucky few!

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I'm excited to see any progress in a vehicle lineup, but I'm tentatively optimistic about the new Supra. I believe the BRZ started out more expensive than the FRS, although that has actually switched as of late, I think the Supra will be less expensive than the Z5. I don't know the specs, but if it's more than 45k starting price, it's too much imo. I'm guessing 42-43k right now, but that has no basis, I'm just guessing. I'm in the same boat as though, I will be looking at a Supra when it comes time to buy a new car, but that's a long ways away.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I like the idea of it. You look at that thing and you don't expect it to be something that costs $40k, or I guess even $50k.

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
I'm excited to see any progress in a vehicle lineup, but I'm tentatively optimistic about the new Supra. I believe the BRZ started out more expensive than the FRS, although that has actually switched as of late, I think the Supra will be less expensive than the Z5. I don't know the specs, but if it's more than 45k starting price, it's too much imo. I'm guessing 42-43k right now, but that has no basis, I'm just guessing. I'm in the same boat as though, I will be looking at a Supra when it comes time to buy a new car, but that's a long ways away.

The BRZ was more expensive, thats why you used to see nothing but FRS on the road. No one wanted to pay more for the subie badge for the same car. Which I still dont understand why they felt the need to do 2 different manufacturers with the same car...

edit...Technically 3 cars since there was one under the Toyota badge and the other under the Scion badge.