GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tranny Issues anyone?

SMRGTI

Reefur Madness
I have been noticing when I down shift (lets say 5th to 4th to slow down), and then lightly press on the accelerator, I notice a bump/thud on the driver side (in the tranny area). Its hard to diagnose because it doesn't happen every time and ONLY when I do the downshifting. Is not the motor mounts because I upgraded and still notice the same bump/thud. It doesn't affect performance but it is a little annoying. Here is a tip though, I while back when I was new with the whole VW experience, I raced someone and shifted into second way to fast and snapped my pendulum mount. Got it fixed but as far as the bump/thud goes, thats as far back as I can remember. This incident occurred around 30,000 miles and the car now has 60,000. The bump/thud has NOT gotten any worse. The car is tuned and the clutch sometimes slips in 5th gear in the lower rpm range. Could this bump/thud be the clutch, differential, gear box, axles, anything? :help:

healthynine

Ready to race!
I'm sorry I don't know the answer to this because my first thought was a motor mount. You said you've eliminated that as an issue.

That being said, perhaps putting this in the drivetrain section will get more people to help you.