GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Travel assist problems.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
I've been using the travel assist a bit and it seems to be confusing itself betwwen kmh and mph at first i thought it was just choosing random speeds but i've noticed that it works fine until it suddenly gives you the speed limit in km for example turning off the M40 at Wycombe onto the A404 it gives the speed limit as 110 and the travel assist sets to 68 mph.
This is not that bad but after this the fun starts it seems that even when it reads the speed limit correctly it converts it from kmh to mph for example when it reads 30 mph it suddenly tries to slow down to 19 mph, 40 mph = 25 and 60 mph = 37.

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, had that lots of times. You will also notice it also activates undertake prevent when you overtake as it assumes you are driving on the other side of the road so assumes an overtake is an undertake. Effectively the control unit has crashed, restarts and fails to apply the UK settings.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I amazed as to how many different software issues owners of the Golf Mk8 are having. I have a few but fear if I go to my VW dealer to sort them I will end up with more.

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
After 5 months without any real problems in my Golf MK 8 Style 1.5 etsi (build week 49 820D Unit and 1788 Software) it has started doing exactly what Wallop describes i.e picking up speed limits in Dynamic road sign display but viewing them as KPH, e.g 40 MPH being viewed as 40 KPH and adjusting the ACC to 25 MPH etc.. I can override this and increase the speed on the ACC steering wheel buttons to the correct MPH but as soon as it hits a new road sign it read it as KPH and wrongly adjusts the ACC. Sometimes it decides to adjust 68 MPH to a 110 KPH road sign dash display on its own, as Wallop describes. The only way I can correct it is to pull over and switch the ignition on and off which reboots it to the correct format but it is not long before it goes back to its KPH roots. I am guessing a VW dealer will want to see this happening which is awkward as it has a mind of its own. I have photos of the offending sign and wrong KPH speed on the dash. Does anyone have any experience of trying to get this particular fault sorted? Many Thanks

Dougy

I’m having the same problem. It’s very intermediate. I can drive down a stretch of dual carriage way and it shows 110 on the road sign. If I enter a 60 zone, the car brakes.
I can drive down the same stretch of road another day and it’s fine.

another thing I’ve noticed, if I’m using google maps for navigation, through CarPlay, one minute it might say ”in 100 yards turn left” then 2 minutes later it might say “in 200 meters turn left “

the VW satnav is rubbish, it only does 5 digit postcodes.

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
After 5 months without any real problems in my Golf MK 8 Style 1.5 etsi (build week 49 820D Unit and 1788 Software) it has started doing exactly what Wallop describes i.e picking up speed limits in Dynamic road sign display but viewing them as KPH, e.g 40 MPH being viewed as 40 KPH and adjusting the ACC to 25 MPH etc.. I can override this and increase the speed on the ACC steering wheel buttons to the correct MPH but as soon as it hits a new road sign it read it as KPH and wrongly adjusts the ACC. Sometimes it decides to adjust 68 MPH to a 110 KPH road sign dash display on its own, as Wallop describes. The only way I can correct it is to pull over and switch the ignition on and off which reboots it to the correct format but it is not long before it goes back to its KPH roots. I am guessing a VW dealer will want to see this happening which is awkward as it has a mind of its own. I have photos of the offending sign and wrong KPH speed on the dash. Does anyone have any experience of trying to get this particular fault sorted? Many Thanks
Had 11 months so far over 2 years trying to get this sorted. (1st car rejected (1.5 etsi Life)) 2nd (1.5 etsi Style 2020 wk 41, 1668) has had the SOS control unit replaced, 2 sets of software updates and now the car to go in again next week to check the control units wiring.

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
The car goes in to the dealer on June 14th for investigation, as the fault if intermittent I managed to supply some screen shots of the Dynamic sign/ACC misbehaving. It seems like the car suddenly thinks it is in Germany and converts all the UK speed signs to kph and then helpfully sets and displays the mph equivalent for the ACC, usually involving sudden braking. The Dealer did a search for this fault on the VW system and found no cases of this occurring on the Golf 8 but there were reported cases of it happening on the ID3. It doesn't bode well at all, I will keep you posted

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
The car goes in to the dealer on June 14th for investigation, as the fault if intermittent I managed to supply some screen shots of the Dynamic sign/ACC misbehaving. It seems like the car suddenly thinks it is in Germany and converts all the UK speed signs to kph and then helpfully sets and displays the mph equivalent for the ACC, usually involving sudden braking. The Dealer did a search for this fault on the VW system and found no cases of this occurring on the Golf 8 but there were reported cases of it happening on the ID3. It doesn't bode well at all, I will keep you posted
I've reported this on both cars since July last year. Amazing how little info gets from dealers to VW. Well it isn't really as the info you give the service reception team rarely makes it to the actual service department mechanics and is never in the same detail on the job cards. I have handed over pages of details, photos, videos etc and then you speak to the master technician when they hand the car back, and they have rarely seen them! And the Golf 8 coming out during COVID and social distancing has just made it worse. The sales staff, service team and technicians hardly know the car at a detailed everyday use basis so just assume it is like a MK7.5. They will test a car which has been reset to factory settings and say the issue no longer exists with no thought that the issues only exist once the car is activated, logged in to an account and connected via the eSIM to VW servers/internet.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
Mine doesn't revert once i've stopped,Basically once a week i'm doing a 150 mile round trip from East London to Oxfordshire taking the lady of the house to her Mums or back home again.Which is really why we bought the car.
It does the same every trip works fine from home and onto the M25 and M40 as soon as i turn off at Wycombe it does what i said above whichever route i take from there on.
I'll be at her Mums anything from 30 mins to 5 or 6 hours and when we head back it still does it all the way home.
It's a bit hairy on the M25 when the overhead gantrys show speed restrictions as it really tries to brake down to the km speed from 70.
This week i'm going to be making the trip on Mon and just for curiositys sake i'm going to try coming off the M40 at the next junction and see what happens.

Dougy

My car went into the dealer today. The technician advised that there was a VW technical bulletin regarding the Travel Assist and AC problems.
they have updated the software on the 5F module from version 1788 to 1803.
I shall see if that rectifies the problems.

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
That is good to know Dougy, let us know as soon as you have any feedback on the 1803 software update on the 5F module and if it seems to have sorted things out. I will at least have a bit of information and ammunition when mine goes in for investigation in a couple of weeks. Perhaps 110, 90 and 45 kph will be a thing of the past! Forgive my ignorance but what is the 5F module?

Dougy

New problems now. With travel assist at 60, the computer drops to 37 then 60 until the speed is reached then drops to 37, then 60 and so on

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
Sounds worse than before Dougy!
So on Monday i tried a different route and came off the M40 2 Junctions further up and travel assist worked perfectly all the way! On the return journey i followed my usual route and it worked fine until i hit Henley it was fine on the road in which has multiple changes of speed limit 60,40,70,60,40,30,20 then i turn at a mini roundabout and immediately i get the message "designated speed is too low for acc" despite the fact that 20 mph was fine seconds ago,It then carried on with the usual kph malarky all the way home.

Dougy

spoke to my local garage again today, they apologised and said they are having more reports of faults with travel assist then they are have mechanical problems!!!
car booked in again on the 15th June

giovanotti

Passed Driver's Ed
My personal opinion is, that travel assist is receiving speed limitation data from built in maps. Which are far from being perfect.
Having rental Golf 8 SW1803 in the middle of Germany, I switched option to adjust speed limits (I do not know, how it is called in English - will have a look). In the middle of regional road (limit of 100 kph), between two villages (no other roads or crossings), assist started to reduce to 70 and then to 40 kph. Out of blue.
Switched off the option and drove on.

Maybe works around Wolsfburg and nowhere else...