GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Travel assist problems.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Dear SimonGC,

Why have VW Customer Services appeared to be more accommodating to you than to me? I wrote to them on Monday of this week about the ACC confusing KPM with MPH. Rightly or wrongly I did mention VW Forums and the Telegraph article. This is the reply I got :-

‘Dear Mr -

Thank you for getting back to us.

Unfortunately, we cannot comment on the current issues you are experiencing with your Golf. We can only comment on diagnosis information provided to us by a member of our Approved Retailer Network. I apologise for any disappointment this may cause.

The content of internet forums is often based on personal opinions, rather than facts established by diagnosis of the vehicle from an approved Volkswagen Retailer. It is for this reason that we would offer no comment on the content of such forums.

As here at Volkswagen UK we are unable to see you or the vehicle, we rely on our Approved Volkswagen Retailer Network to investigate any issues for you, using their wealth of experience and knowledge combined with their advanced diagnostic equipment to identify the cause of your concern.

Contact details for all Volkswagen Approved Retailers can be found via the link below:

www.volkswagen.co.uk/find-a-retailer

I hope this information proves useful and thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Kind regards’

I was not impressed with this reply. The reference to ‘personnel opinions‘ made my blood boil. They obviously dismiss forums and the press in general. Needless to say I haven’t received a response from my VW dealer. Obviously from your correspondence with VW Customer Services there is currently no cure but it would be good to be in the loop for when a fix is available.

Last edited:

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I bought my car in October 2020 and my Hardware is H56 and Software 1664 Is there a more current Hardware system fitted to the Golf Mk8 and can my H56 be updated with the latest Software which, I believe, is 1803?

Last edited:

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the 16** range of software is linked to a different earlier infotainment device ending in 816D. The later 1788 and 1803 software runs on the later 820D device, fitted I believe from build week 49 onwards and they are not interchangeable. However the hardware seems the same as mine, which is also H56 and there should be no reason why the fix could not be written to update both software versions. Anyone with more precise details on this please correct me if I am wrong.

I can offer no reason why VW UK seem to now be taking a more transparent, accommodating stance on this, one can only hope they now realise that treating honest customers like idiots may not be the way to go. There may well be some misinformation on Forums but the body of evidence from numerous owners articulating the same faults with their vehicles should be taken seriously.

From what I have been told by VW UK, it may be worth considering contacting them to make sure they are aware of KPH/ACC ongoing problems so that vehicle details and registration can be logged in case of an upcoming fix becoming available. It could involve another fruitless visit to the dealer, annoying and hassle we can all do without, but it may hopefully pay off... or perhaps I am exhibiting naive optimism !

Martinbury

Passed Driver's Ed
Interestingly, the speed sign recognition in my GTD seems to be working slightly different to others. I currently have software version 1788 and have just taken it back to the dealership for the 1803 update and investigation into the harsh ride. On the journey, I went through a 50 mph sign, which was shown as 80 before going to 50 after a couple of hundred meters. Also, when leaving a motorway junction and sitting at the traffic lights on the roundabout, I noticed it showed the speed limit as 110! Fortunately, I don’t use Travel Assist otherwise I’ve no idea what speed the car would be trying to do. I did manage to get a photo to show the dealer of the 110 sign who took down the details to take up with VW. I won’t hold my breath for a fix though. Will see what they advise about escalating the issue when I get the car back.
You can just make out the 110 sign in the image below.

20210623_164234.jpg

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
If you were travelling with ACC or Travel Assist your car would have most certainly accelerated up to 110mph. If stopped by the police your mitigating circumstances could be “It was not me, it was the car”.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
If you were travelling with ACC or Travel Assist your car would have most certainly accelerated up to 110mph. If stopped by the police your mitigating circumstances could be “It was not me, it was the car”.
It doesn't try to do 110mph when it gives the limit as 110 kph,The travel assist converts it to mph ie 68 mph but it's after giving a kph speed it then starts assuming every limit is in kph and converts it wrongly into mph.

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
The car has just been in to the dealer for further investigation into the mph/kph ACC problem after an update to 1803 which did nothing. Dealer has just rung to say VW UK told them not to proceed as there are no fixes at present and they are waiting for a new update which might be available weeks/months or longer no-one really knows. This was followed by a call from VW UK Customer Services saying the same thing, they are aware this is a wide ranging fault but there is no software fix at present but the car is logged and will be recalled to the dealer as soon as it is available. All in all, a complete waste of time. All VW UK would offer is an apology and confirmed that with the ACC system turned off the car was safe to drive, which to me, shows just how far VW has fallen as a company since I first purchased their cars.

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
Intermittently, I had a good week then it did it the whole journey back from London (100miles). I have tried in vain to pinpoint any common locations or signage etc., although some people have experienced it happening at specific motorway junctions.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Strange! After 8 months of ownership my car suddenly developed this problem After it did it on several journeys I complained to my dealer and had the car booked in. They did a software update (1664 to 1668)). Since I booked it in it hasn’t done it again (yet). I don’t think the update was the cure. I think the computer said to itself “don’t be a silly sausage, we are in Blighty not Bratwurstland”.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
Mine has been a tad more stable of late but it still keeps playing up at the same places,It's stopped giving the 110 kmh reading at the M40 junction but now decides to have a wobbly on a mini roundabout in Henley.
Sometimes on the way and sometimes on the way back and no matter which way i approach the roundabout it does it there.
It's also started giving the speed as i go under the A10 on the M25 as 50mph rather than previously saying bend ahead 35 mph!

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
Just back from collecting the car from VW retailer service department, where they showed me the VW technical report they received back after plugging the car into their system. It said the KPH/ACC syndrome was officially logged across VW UK on 28th June and not to update or work on affected vehicles with 1788 or 1803 software as they are currently working on a fix. They assured me that their service team were aware of the ongoing fault on my vehicle and it will be recalled as soon as the new software goes live on the VW system. They also suggested that switching off speed preview in the ACC assist menu as an interim measure would stop the ACC following the Dynamic sign display, if affected by the KPH bug, effectively making any adjustment to the ACC speed a manual only affair. I tried this a couple of times and it seemed to work but I can't be sure as yet.

Funny Wallop should mention mini roundabouts, when I think back I have had the odd KPH wobbly going around these, I wonder if some road layouts trick the car into reverting to a drive on the right European mode. God knows!

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Just back from collecting the car from VW retailer service department, where they showed me the VW technical report they received back after plugging the car into their system. It said the KPH/ACC syndrome was officially logged across VW UK on 28th June and not to update or work on affected vehicles with 1788 or 1803 software as they are currently working on a fix. They assured me that their service team were aware of the ongoing fault on my vehicle and it will be recalled as soon as the new software goes live on the VW system. They also suggested that switching off speed preview in the ACC assist menu as an interim measure would stop the ACC following the Dynamic sign display, if affected by the KPH bug, effectively making any adjustment to the ACC speed a manual only affair. I tried this a couple of times and it seemed to work but I can't be sure as yet.

Funny Wallop should mention mini roundabouts, when I think back I have had the odd KPH wobbly going around these, I wonder if some road layouts trick the car into reverting to a drive on the right European mode. God knows!
My August 2020 built Style does this when the speed limit signs are in the central reservation or right hand side switches the road sign recognition to KMH I'm on software 1664 even though it was in for 4 weeks in June for the Travel assist fault which they replaced a module but didn't update the software I wonder if software updates are on hold for all Golf 8 models?

exgolflover

I've been using the travel assist a bit and it seems to be confusing itself betwwen kmh and mph at first i thought it was just choosing random speeds but i've noticed that it works fine until it suddenly gives you the speed limit in km for example turning off the M40 at Wycombe onto the A404 it gives the speed limit as 110 and the travel assist sets to 68 mph.
This is not that bad but after this the fun starts it seems that even when it reads the speed limit correctly it converts it from kmh to mph for example when it reads 30 mph it suddenly tries to slow down to 19 mph, 40 mph = 25 and 60 mph = 37.
Mine does exactly the same! Not fun entering a 50 mph area from a 60 mph one with a lorry behind you and the travel assist drops you to 50 kph quickly which really annoyed the lorry driver and caused me some angst! VW customer care referred me back to the local VW agent, who sent me back to customer care. My car also likes to brake suddenly when overtaking parked cars with the 'avoid collision ' red logo on the dash. My VW agent tells me he's been trying to get a software fix since at least October but they keep delaying.