GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Travel assist problems.

exgolflover

Well said SRGTD.

Since it’s release in October 2019 and going on sale in Germany in December 2019 VW still can’t sort various software problems on the Golf Mk8. I have contacted both my dealer and VW UK Customer Services about my car confusing mph with kph when in Adaptive Cruise Control. I regard this as a safety issue since a car that suddenly reduces speed for no apparent reason on a busy motorway can result a rear end by an inattentive following driver. I’m convinced my dealer will fail to reply and VW Customer Services will ask me to contact my dealer. If this is the case how do I get redress over this issue?
I agree completely.

I'm being passed from customer (dis)services back and forth with my local agent and getting nowhere; I agree it's a safety issue which suggests the product is not yet 'fit for purpose'. I like driving my 1.5 eTsi but the software has caused several near miss accidents when braking or slowing me unpredictably. I paid a substantial deposit so I've told VW finance that I'm stopping my monthly payments (due to start 31 Aug) until they fix the problems!! I can't see why the Sale of Goods Act shouldn't be used to put pressure on VW HQ.

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm on 1668 and had a new steering wheel and passenger airbag whatever and all seems to be working as it should be. I hasten to add that I refuse to try the ACC because of the much commented on problems with it because I deem it not to be safe. I think VW have admitted that currently a fix for this malfunction doesn't exist although I'm sure they are working like stink to find one. My advice would be not to use it at all until VW have sorted it out. It is dangerous.

I also had a problem with parked cars once and the car braked quite hard for a moment or two with the red warning on the dash. I turned that off too but since the software update I have turned it back on to try it without any problems so far. Fingers crossed. I'm a bit of a Luddite and don't think that relying on vehicle software to do the job of driving the car safely is a good idea. I prefer to trust my driving skills over that of computer software even if it is known to work, which the VW software doesn't and is well known not to work properly.

Dougy

So having dropped my car off one afternoon to have the travel assist problem looked at again, when I picked it up at close of business the following day I was advised that VW are working on a new software update and the dealer would contact me as soon as it’s available. That was 6 weeks ago. They did wash the car !!!

today I’ve got into it and the right hand side of the infotainment system is blank. The touch is still working (if you know where abouts in the screen to touch).

not built like they used to be!

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
New MK8 Golf owner from the UK here. I have similar issues on a brand new car in the UK.
I have posted more detail elsewhere on the forum, but am now considering rejecting the car, as a couple of the issues are dangerous.

Pete

Dougy

Still no word from Germany on a update to cure this fault.
My car decided to give me a silent journey on Monday. No radio, media or mobile phone sound. Has to leave it four hours to rectify itself. This happened after the latest update was pushed to the media unit.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
I had that after the last update too.
Today on the way to work i had a spinning wheel where the temp usuallly is and the car blowing hot and cold air at the same time.
On the way home i got as soon as i started the engine "parking assist unavaillable" Then it joyfully pinged umpteen times "rear traffic alert unavaillable" all the way home whilst the infotainment sat in silence.
As i parked i got this lovely display.

Attachments

• PXL_20211005_131105353.jpg
    PXL_20211005_131105353.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
After liaising with VW Customer Service, I have now been allocated a “dedicated Customer Relationship Manager”. I await their response to my issues.

Pete

Petercoll

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I escalated this to VW FS, as this is a leased car through them, and it feels like things are moving in the right direction - more info later when confirmed. I was also told that a fix was imminent.

Pete

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
I've been wondering of late if a lot of these problems are down to the mobile network in this country?
Today the car was fine all the way home from work.
The last couple of weeks i suffered the double click and the globe vanishing at the same 2 spots everyday and sometimes 1 other the SOS error sometimes followed.
Also today the music i was streaming from my phone continued all the way whereas previously it would lose connection just after the bit where the car lost connection.
The only difference today clear sky?

SimonGC

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, it has been a while since I posted anything on the Dynamic sign/ACC reading and switching to KPH instead of MPH problem and was wondering how other contributors to the forum were getting on with this?

My vehicle, a Golf 8 Style 150 etsi, was picked up December 2020 with 820D hardware and 1788 software. All was good for 3-4 months and the it started converting randomly to KPH. It was updated in August 2021 with 1803 software but this did not solve anything. Last I heard was from the VW service dealer and VW UK was that VW Germany was working on a fix. It is going in for a service next week and I am told that all software is up to date and no specific fixes for the problem have been released. My vehicle has got worse if anything and often swaps between converting a UK speed sign to KPH and giving the nearest equivalent speed in MPH for the ACC (i.e. 110KPH-68MPH) or reading the reading the sign correctly then converting to KPH (i.e. 70KPH-44MPH), great on a motorway and potentially dangerous!

It often does it at the same location with no logic as to the reason why. The only cure is to disable speed preview in ACC and set the ACC manually. It is annoying, as when it is functioning correctly, I find it a useful feature, especially on unfamiliar roads.

The only new update on the horizon seems to be 1810 but I understand this is only for vehicles with the 16** software, nothing for the 1788/1803 vehicles.

Martinbury

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, it has been a while since I posted anything on the Dynamic sign/ACC reading and switching to KPH instead of MPH problem and was wondering how other contributors to the forum were getting on with this?

My vehicle, a Golf 8 Style 150 etsi, was picked up December 2020 with 820D hardware and 1788 software. All was good for 3-4 months and the it started converting randomly to KPH. It was updated in August 2021 with 1803 software but this did not solve anything. Last I heard was from the VW service dealer and VW UK was that VW Germany was working on a fix. It is going in for a service next week and I am told that all software is up to date and no specific fixes for the problem have been released. My vehicle has got worse if anything and often swaps between converting a UK speed sign to KPH and giving the nearest equivalent speed in MPH for the ACC (i.e. 110KPH-68MPH) or reading the reading the sign correctly then converting to KPH (i.e. 70KPH-44MPH), great on a motorway and potentially dangerous!

It often does it at the same location with no logic as to the reason why. The only cure is to disable speed preview in ACC and set the ACC manually. It is annoying, as when it is functioning correctly, I find it a useful feature, especially on unfamiliar roads.

The only new update on the horizon seems to be 1810 but I understand this is only for vehicles with the 16** software, nothing for the 1788/1803 vehicles.
Hi Simon. Funnily enough, I was wondering something similar as well. I have a GTD that was built in March 2021 and I collected in April. Having had many problems with the ACC including not being able to overtake as the system considered it an undertaking move, I’ve just had my Golf back from its 4th visit back to the dealership for many different issues. However, for the last couple of months, the ACC has been working fine, despite the dealership saying that they haven’t applied any updates to it at all. I still have the 1803 software version that was installed around May I think, although it has picked up a number of Over The Air updates recently (not convinced this will affect ACC though). I’ve completed over 500 miles in the last 2 days, including a 400 mile trip to Scotland, during which the ACC and Speed Limit sign post recognition was perfect. I did experience a problem yesterday around Buckingham though, where in a 6/7/8 mile stretch, values of 110, 90 and 80 were displayed instead of 70, 60 and 50. So, in my limited experience, it does seem to be getting better, but is still certainly not correct. In the dark of this morning and the bad weather along the M6, I found Travel Assist and ACC a really handy feature to have, particularly in the narrow lanes of the lengthy roadworks. Hoping that the 1810 update will be along soon and resolve this once and for all, but I’m not holding my breath yet.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Today a Golf 8 in Germany with software version 1668 and Infotainment unit 816B was updated by VW workshop with the 1810 software (Firmware 816F). It was in for the steering wheel replacement. I am still waiting for the TPI to know if it applies to all 16xx sw units.
This is only for Golf 8 Cars built before the last week of November 2020.

Last edited:

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Can't find my original post but I mentioned keeping front VW badge perfectly clean as my car seems not to enjoy a bit of mist or drizzle, it all but erradicates most of the various ramdon faults, which I ignore as often quickly disappear anyway. Well the other nite I visited relatives who live in the countryside, went to car to get something out at aound 9pm, it was covered in fallen dew, reminded forgetful self to clean badge before setting off. Long story short, I forgot (duh), gave windscreen and rear window a quick sweep of wipers to clear, set off and realised I'd forgotten to clean the badge but - no odd random warnings. And none since either, hmmm.....

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
Mine is still doing the same in exactly the same places it's real nemesis is the mini roundabout outside Henley i've appoached it in 3 different ways in both directions and everytime i exit it begins giving the limit in kph and the fun and games start.Despite the fact that it was working perfectly beforehand.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Mine would do it either just when setting off first thing from home, where the phone signal is notoriously bad, or not at all. "Curiouser and curoiser", said Alice, or more likely "pffff, meh". Still like the car way more than I thought I would and as lomg as it drives ok and safely and the error messages disappear by themsleves, not too fussed, though I am keeping an eye on it.....