GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trouble with travel assist

chasb73

Just applying a new software update, taking some time/stuck, will update with version number once it’s installed, if it gets there! 🤣

Attachments

• A2F96C95-FBB6-49E2-9C65-485BFF1A3BB9.jpeg
    A2F96C95-FBB6-49E2-9C65-485BFF1A3BB9.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 101

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
At the moment, OTA updates for the Mk8 are fairly minor. Things like additions to the online shop or minor fixes. They do not update the software version number (at least not so far). That takes 4 hours in a dealer hooked up to VW central.

chasb73

At the moment, OTA updates for the Mk8 are fairly minor. Things like additions to the online shop or minor fixes. They do not update the software version number (at least not so far). That takes 4 hours in a dealer hooked up to VW central.
Cool, thanks for that info. It’s booked in with a dealer in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed… I’ve got a long list of issues!!!

Travel assist
Keyless entry inconsistencies
Wireless charging
Remote doesn’t lock sometimes
Won’t engage electric after sport mode sometimes

the list goes on… none are major but all are a pain

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
If your current software is 1664 or 1666 the dealer should try to fix the repeated 'travel assist not available' dinging by updating to 1668. If that still doesn't fix it, VW HQ should then authorise a replacement steering wheel.

chasb73

Updated over the air to 1788…

will monitor and see if it’s improved anything

Attachments

• 4162DF7E-3845-4919-9D6F-C164CA6C53AA.jpeg
    4162DF7E-3845-4919-9D6F-C164CA6C53AA.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 76

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
What was it before the OTA update?

By the way, the latest software for that hardware version is 1803.

chasb73

What was it before the OTA update?

By the way, the latest software for that hardware version is 1803.
I don’t remember what it was unfortunately, possibly 1644?
There I was thinking I’d got a new release!! Looks like my trip to dealership is still required… is there a way to see all update info?

nice_fish

I got an OTA update this morning as well, but it seems it only upgraded the maps database from 21.5 to 21.7. See the photos.

@Handydave do you know what would be the latest version number for my infotainment as well?

Attachments

• 20210703_121931.jpg
    20210703_121931.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20210909_135524.jpg
    20210909_135524.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 79

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
I got an over the air update yesterday and my nav database was already on 21.7 before it. None of my software version numbers have changed so it must have been a minor update but it's the first time I've had a notification informing me of a software update let's hope it's a sign of much bigger updates and fixes to come and it would be nice if they detailed what they were fixing.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
I got an OTA update this morning as well, but it seems it only upgraded the maps database from 21.5 to 21.7. See the photos.

@Handydave do you know what would be the latest version number for my infotainment as well?
For hardware versions where the Device Part Number has a suffix A, B or C (or has no suffix like mine) then the latest software version available is 1668. These hardware versions were installed on Mk8s built up until 23 Nov 20. Earlier software versions for these units are 1650, 1664 or 1668.

For hardware versions with suffix D, the software version number started at 1788 and the latest is 1803.

Updating the software version can only be done by a VW dealer. As it ties up a workshop bay for 4 to 5 hours, VW HQ will only authorise an update which is likely to fix a software problem that has been reported by the owner AND observed by the dealer.

As mentioned earlier, OTA updates do not install a new software version.

By the way, map updates do download OTA, but they download and install in the background, with no notification to the user nor need for any user action.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
StopDinging, are you saying that due to the confusion between the two dealers there is actually no software currently available after 1668?

Why are they going to replace the radar/overhead control (I assume you mean the radar sensor in the grill and camera in the windscreen)? I thought our issue with confusing kph with mph etc was a software problem. It appears neither VW or their dealers have a bloody clue how to sort problems. All they what to do is throw parts and (when available) software at our cars willy nilly.

PA262

Firstly, thank you to all for the really useful information on software and hardware standards.
i have just recently exchanged my Golf Mk7.5 for a 70 plate Mk8 eTSI and was completely unaware of the Emergency and Travel Assist ‘dinging’ issues. I am now all too familiar and am already in battle with VW Perth (Scotland) to get this resolved. The great information here has definitely allowed me to educate the dealership, who claim to have only vaguely heard of this issue……ummmm.
My problem is the 120 mile round trip to the dealership to have any investigations or rectifactions done, my aim is to minimise this but I have already come up against the VW bureaucracy and nothing being allowed unless their diagnostics say so. So my car is booked in next week for a diagnostic and, if VW allow, a s/w update (on 1664 at present). I will keep you informed.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion

Well your car is a my2020 with the first infotainment unit 816A same as the 816 (only difference being that either of them are installed based on the country of sale)
Your software version 1650 is as old as the car itself 😜 the latest being 1668.
I have heard of some Golf 8s with the 816A that have had the infotainment replaced with the 816C only when the infotainment system was going haywire…

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Why oh why didn’t VW design their cars so that software could be updated over the air? Wake up one morning and everything is working tickets-boo and new functions have been added. Both my Apple iPhone and DJI drone can do this so why can’t my bloody car?

chasb73

Why oh why didn’t VW design their cars so that software could be updated over the air? Wake up one morning and everything is working tickets-boo and new functions have been added. Both my Apple iPhone and DJI drone can do this so why can’t my bloody car?
I suspect it’s because if the update fails you’ll be stuck with a broken car!