GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trouble with travel assist

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
My car was built in the last week of August last year and is still stuck on infotainment software 1664 despite requesting the 1668 update, but the replacement steering wheel is what has fixed my travels assist faults

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I have written a firm but polite email to the supplying dealer asking for their assistance in getting a resolution otherwise my only option may be to reject the vehicle.

The spanner in the works seems to be that VW are now saying a software update is needed which doesn’t yet exist!

I’ve checked my software, it’s 1788. How out of date is this version?
This information is helpful. It shows you have the ‘D’ version of the infotainment hardware (at the end of the Device Part Number), which was first introduced on cars built from 23 November 2020 – which ties in with your March 2021 purchase date.

These hardware versions were introduced with software version 1788 but the latest version is 1803.

Older versions of the hardware (including mine) have software versions 1664, 1666 or the latest 1668.

This does raise a niggling doubt for me…. As far as I can see from this thread, and the thread on another forum (VWAudi Forum - ‘Intermittant Fault’ note spelling incorrect), the software update and steering wheel replacement have only been applied to the earlier hardware (with software in the range 1664 – 1668).

To test this theory, can any member out there let us know if they have had a steering wheel replacement to fix the Travel Assist dinging problem AND have software version in the range 1788 to 1803.

If it is correct that the steering wheel replacement is only a fix for the earlier hardware version, then perhaps your problem is different from the one that others have experienced. And we should maybe give the dealer who tried to fix yours the benefit of the doubt.

But in any case, this repeated dinging is intolerable (as I know from experience) and the car is not fit for purpose. So you are quite right to give the supplying dealer one more chance to fix it before progressing with rejection.

Good luck and keep us posted. I hope you get it sorted because, once it is fixed, the Mk8 is a magnificent vehicle.

StopDinging

All very interesting (and worrying!), let’s see what the original selling dealer comes up with by Friday 🤞

I’ve not queried this before now, but is the issue where ACC slows you down on a motorway/dual carriageway when approaching a vehicle to your near side (so you can’t actually overtake it) related or is this a different issue altogether?

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
I think that’s a completely different issue. I’ve never experienced it (thankfully)…..

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
All very interesting (and worrying!), let’s see what the original selling dealer comes up with by Friday 🤞

I’ve not queried this before now, but is the issue where ACC slows you down on a motorway/dual carriageway when approaching a vehicle to your near side (so you can’t actually overtake it) related or is this a different issue altogether?
I think that’s a completely different issue. I’ve never experienced it (thankfully)…..
Yes, I believe it’s different. There’s a lengthy (currently 11 pages long) discussion thread on this issue over on the Golf R forum (www.vwroc.com) that‘s worth a read;

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/39510-mk8-adaptive-cruise-control-faulty/

cp100

new golf 8 style 1.5 tsi 150 ps
, purchased it beforeock d down began and could not go back earlier to the garage as all shut ,it had to go into the workshop while in for the sofware update and the whole of the dash inside the car had to come out something had been rolling around for months , they found 2 bolts left in from when it was built, not happy damaged interior doing it now waiting or that to be replaced. the car had numerous software issues it even braked twice on me while driving and the red crash came up on dash car stopped dead in road but nothing in front of me, god knows how nobody ran into the back of me( try and explain that one "the car did it") , passenger window rattles conatantly, travel assist unavailabe pinging all the time got a bit better after upadate but started again after about 2 days but not as bad we connect keeps disconecting and greying out for days then randomly comes back on sos function waiting to be replaced as that doesnt work ,dont think it has worked since got the car, front parking sensor error popping up all time and the latest one parked my car on a slope , jumped in turned it on out it into revers and car shot forward and PARKING BREAK ERROR ON DASH AND FRONT SENSOR ERROR. tried to get car reversed about 8 time went forward every time then managed to get the break to hold long enough for me to reverse out . ended up about 1 inch away from hitting something in front of me. so now i have a useless unreliable £26.0000 car sat on my drive waiting to go back to garage again.
Do not buy this car

StopDinging

Having had some helpful conversations with the dealer (and some very unhelpful ones with VW) I’ve decided to reject the car.

I’m now left looking for a replacement. Does anyone know if these issues are unique to the Golfs or do the new Tiguans have the same issue? I’d hate to swap out of a rubbish Golf into an equally rubbish Tiguan!

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
That is a very interesting question StopDinging. I had presumed that it would affect all models fitted with this latest infotainment system etc. However this is only my assumption and I will be interested to hear if this is actually the case. By the way - since my software was updated to 1668 and I've has the new steering wheel fitted I'm still in honeymoon state without any problems at all. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

StopDinging

That is a very interesting question StopDinging. I had presumed that it would affect all models fitted with this latest infotainment system etc. However this is only my assumption and I will be interested to hear if this is actually the case. By the way - since my software was updated to 1668 and I've has the new steering wheel fitted I'm still in honeymoon state without any problems at all. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
It still seems odd to me that there are fixes for some cars and not for others. Is yours a mk8 Golf R?

Mine has a 'postpone repair' status now which means there's nothing they can do. Having tried to get some sense out of VW Customer Services again today they've said '...are not able to provide a time-scale for updates as these decisions are made by the Volkswagen Factory and are provided when ready directly to our Volkswagen Retailer Network, unfortunately we are unable to provide assistance on this matter.'

I love the car apart from the tiresome beeping but feel I'm left with no option but to reject it in the absence of hope of a fix anytime soon.

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
No it is an early Style 1.5 tsi 150 ps. I say I haven't had any problems since the new steering wheel which is true but the are some things which I refuse to switch on, ie the ACC, as I am totally against software that acts for me. I strongly believe in driving my car and not have it drive for me. Previous to the updates and steering wheel I have had it brake on me but not to a stop, travel assist not working/dinging, greyed out globe and so on but no problems with the sensors or parking brake not working.
It jumps out of first gear every now and again but that is mechanical not software and will be reported next rime it is in the workshop but everything else, touch wood, is working fine for me at the moment. After me saying that I expect things to go pear shaped any time soon!!! Dare I say that I like the car now. Probably not, too early.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Having had some helpful conversations with the dealer (and some very unhelpful ones with VW) I’ve decided to reject the car.

I’m now left looking for a replacement. Does anyone know if these issues are unique to the Golfs or do the new Tiguans have the same issue? I’d hate to swap out of a rubbish Golf into an equally rubbish Tiguan!
I would suggest you do some research - as a start point Google ‘ VW Tiguan software issues’ and also visit any Tiguan-specific forums - I think the main Tiguan forum is www.mytiguan.com and there’s also www.tiguanforums.co.uk (there may be others).

I’m also a member on another Golf forum and the Seat forum and I’m aware the latest Seat Leon is affected by many of the same software issues as the mk8 Golf so no, these software issues aren’t unique to the mk8 Golf. So there’s a chance other newly launched or face lifted models within VAG will have the same software as the mk8 Golf and it’s siblings - especially those built on the same MQB platform as the Golf.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I would suggest you do some research - as a start point Google ‘ VW Tiguan software issues’ and also visit any Tiguan-specific forums - I think the main Tiguan forum is www.mytiguan.com and there’s also www.tiguanforums.co.uk (there may be others).

I’m also a member on another Golf forum and the Seat forum and I’m aware the latest Seat Leon is affected by many of the same software issues as the mk8 Golf so no, these software issues aren’t unique to the mk8 Golf. So there’s a chance other newly launched or face lifted models within VAG will have the same software as the mk8 Golf and it’s siblings - especially those built on the same MQB platform as the Golf.
Also the Octavia 4 and new Audi A3 use the same platform…
Some good news for Octavia 4 owners with the 816B (16xx) infotainment system that were built before week 48. A Tpi is out since last week and a new software/firmware update is applied bringing it to 816F and 1806.
So far it looks promising , the system is fluid and wireless connection working properly, reverse camera video problems seem resolved and many other problems have dissappeared. And finally AA wireless is working 👏👏
Will our Golf 8’s with 1668 also recieve this big update? I would think so😉
When ? we don’t know…🤷‍♂️

StopDinging

So the software on its own hasn't fixed it, seems like some confusion between my selling and repairing dealer... Now waiting for a new radar/overhead control unit to see if that cures it.

I'll update once (if) there's a fix. In the meantime the rejection process with VW was started last week and was expecting to hear something today/tomorrow.