GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trouble with travel assist

nice_fish

Well your car is a my2020 with the first infotainment unit 816A same as the 816 (only difference being that either of them are installed based on the country of sale)
Your software version 1650 is as old as the car itself 😜 the latest being 1668.
I have heard of some Golf 8s with the 816A that have had the infotainment replaced with the 816C only when the infotainment system was going haywire…
Thanks @Massimo 2323 . I know the infotainment is old, because the car got its first license on February 2020, therefore it must have been built in Q4 2019 (early production). However, compared to what could have popped up, I have no major issues with the infotainment and actually the only problem with my car is the "travel assist/emergency assist unavailable" warning when touching the bottom of the wheel. Even this is appearing only a few times, nothing to consider a major problem.

Because of a dead 12V battery (the car being less than 2 years old and covered by factory guarantee), I am booked for September 15th to measure and replace the battery, but I also showed them a video of the "travel assist/emergency assist unavailable" warning and asked for a software update. Therefore they will probably send me up to 1668 (which is the latest available for my infotainment).

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Wouldn't be certain you'll get the update mines been in twice for a total of 7 weeks and they left it on 1664 however they have fixed the travel assist with a new wheel!

chasb73

Wouldn't be certain you'll get the update mines been in twice for a total of 7 weeks and they left it on 1664 however they have fixed the travel assist with a new wheel!
What travel assist issue do you have? Mine is that it switches to KPH during driving and thinks we drive on the right!

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
The travel assist issue (ie fixed by a replacement steering wheel and loom) is repeated warnings / dings that 'travel assist is not available'.

Different from the probem you describe which is a flaw in the ACC / speed recognition software.

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes as Handydave has said that's a different issue which will hopefully be resolved with its own software update, but for the time being it is lovely to drive the car without travel assist warnings going off every few seconds👍

StopDinging

The radar unit was replaced on Thursday and so far the dinging has stopped. I've not yet been able to check the overtaking issues on motorway/dual carriageways when using ACC or the speed sign detection issues, but at least I can drive it without going mad now.

Interestingly, the software still says 1788 which is what it was before the update. Does this suggest that the software hasn't actually been updated and it was just a radar all the way along? They did talk about an OCU (I think) update and did keep talking about overhead control unit/panel (which would make sense with OCU). Is this different software to the main software? It was a big update though, it took about 6 hours for them to do in the workshop.

IMG_1609.jpg

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
This is very important info.

In my post #92 I expressed a niggling doubt that the steering wheel replacement would be the fix for later hardware units with suffic D (and infotainment software 17xx or 18xx.

As a result of your helpful post, we now know that the fix for the 'Travel Assist not Available' issue and the associated dinging seems to be a replacement radar sensor for hardware units with suffix D, and a replacement steering wheel for earlier hardware units (which have software 16xx).

There are all sorts of software modules in the car apart from the main infotainment software, and the software you had updated was probably for the Communications Unit, which is a general recall issued for Mk8s at the moment. Dealers are updating it as cars come in for other reasons.

I'm sure you will appreciate the absence of the dinging (I certainly did when ours was fixed - it completely changed my view of the car from very negative to very positive) and hopefully you will get the ACC speed / overtaking issue sorted as well.

nice_fish

I have the infotainment with no letter at the end ("no letter" and "A" are the same thing afaik) and software 1650.

I *occasionally* have dinging due to "travel assist/emergency assist not available", but this is the exception, most of the time they don't appear. I fully support what you feel, the car feels very right when it doesn't appear, but can really drive you mad the times it does appear. In my case, I am convinced it comes from the steering wheel, I am most of the time able to "milk" dings when touching the lower (horizontal) part of the wheel.

I took several videos of the issue and booked my car with the dealer on September 15th. He rejected any conversation based on forums, on my personal information, etc. I think he is correct to do so, so I said "ok, here is the video, it is under factory guarantee, book a date and fix me". Of course he did. He said he is aware of the steering wheel issue (wouldn't say more) and he said that the video is extremely helpful because he, as a dealer, cannot change anything if he can't prove it to the factory. All is well and waiting to see what happens after September 15 (will I have updated software? Will the ding stop? Will I have a wheel replacement?)

Plot twist: on September 3 the car was found dead inside my parking, due to low battery (talking about the 12V conventional battery). Nothing, no lock/unlock, no start/stop, you know I guess. Called the road assistance and he started it, battery was measured with a handheld voltometer at 12%. A disgrace, we are talking about factory battery (VW, i.e. not Bosch or aftermarket) with a stamp of 0720 on it (July 2020). I took it to the dealership and, together with the things I mentioned above, I noted the need to measure and replace the battery on September 15th booking date. What is the plot twist? Since then, there has been no one single "travel assist/emergency assist not available" ding, although I am constantly trying to "milk" one. It drives me mad, it appears the hard reset of the car due to battery failure had an effect on the dinging? So after the incident with the dead battery the car works at 100% (few days, but I have really not spotted a single flaw) and I have the September 15th booking, for (a) check/replace 12V battery, (b) fix dinging, (c) update software.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
When ours was dinging with Travel Assist n/a, I noticed it often occurred when the steering wheel was being turned (at a junction or roundabout or reversing into the drive). Often it was a small movement of the wheel. That may tie in with your observation about touching the bottom of the wheel.

I also noticed it occurred more frequently in damp weather.

I hope that at least the dealer will upstate your software to 1668, which seems to be a stable version.

And, if that doesn't sort it completely, the next step is the replacement steering wheel.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) in my case the dinging was so frequent that the dealer had no problem in observing it. If they do experience it, the instruction from VW central seems to be to try the software update first and only if that is not successful will they authorise a steering wheel replacement.

I agree with you that it's fair enough for a dealer to be sceptical about what's said on forums. The input can be variable, let's say. But it's then up to the dealer and VW to do their research just as thoroughly.

nice_fish

Also the Octavia 4 and new Audi A3 use the same platform…
Some good news for Octavia 4 owners with the 816B (16xx) infotainment system that were built before week 48. A Tpi is out since last week and a new software/firmware update is applied bringing it to 816F and 1806.
So far it looks promising , the system is fluid and wireless connection working properly, reverse camera video problems seem resolved and many other problems have dissappeared. And finally AA wireless is working 👏👏
Will our Golf 8’s with 1668 also recieve this big update? I would think so😉
When ? we don’t know…🤷‍♂️
Hello @Massimo 2323 I just saw this message again and I remembered a question I had: my infotainment is letter A, software is 1650, my mobile phone is Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite. Android Auto does not connect wirelessly, it needs a USB-C cable. When I bought it, my dealer said Android Auto should connect wirelessly but depends on the smartphone. So, I am (still today) under the impression that my console connects wirelessly, and if I buy another smartphone (i.e. a Samsung Galaxy S10, or S10e, or S20) it will indeed connect wirelessly (therefore, it is a smartphone-infotainment combination issue).

Are you saying the console itself is not wireless when it comes to Android Auto? And no changes in smartphone or updates in Android OS will eventually solve this?

I checked with my brother-in-law's iPhone 11 and it all connects and works and charges wirelessly as a charm (but ok you'd expect that from iOS).

PA262

So an update on my issue. Took the car into VW Perth today for diagnostics, lo and behold a fault was noted but a VW fault code logged. I am now waiting for the dealership to hear from VW as to what the next step is. I’m pretty sure it will be a software update but the dealership also now know about the likelihood of a steering wheel change. This is all hugely inconvenient and the dealership are hiding behind them being a franchise and only able to do what VW instruct. This is exactly what has been reported by all. They claim out of the 100 or so Mk8s they have sold, this is only the 2nd to have the issue. This customer is not happy and has a long memory over such things, especially as I have bought 2. VWs from them in the last 12 months. Thanks again for all the info, although it is an embarrassing state of affairs when the Service Manager knows less than the customer.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
My infotainment is letter A, software is 1650, my mobile phone is Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite. Android Auto does not connect wirelessly, it needs a USB-C cable. When I bought it, my dealer said Android Auto should connect wirelessly but depends on the smartphone. So, I am (still today) under the impression that my console connects wirelessly, and if I buy another smartphone (i.e. a Samsung Galaxy S10, or S10e, or S20) it will indeed connect wirelessly (therefore, it is a smartphone-infotainment combination issue).

Are you saying the console itself is not wireless when it comes to Android Auto? And no changes in smartphone or updates in Android OS will eventually solve this?

I checked with my brother-in-law's iPhone 11 and it all connects and works and charges wirelessly as a charm (but ok you'd expect that from iOS).
My infotainment has no suffix and software version is 1668. My Samsung Galaxy S20 will not connect wirelessly to Android Auto. As far as I know, only hardware with suffix D and software in the range 17xx to 18xx will connect to AA wirelessly.

Last edited:

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
I hear what you say PA262 but I also have a certain sympathy for the Dealers. I get the distinct impression, from my own dealings with my local Dealer, that the Dealers are very much hamstrung by VW in all of this. Rightly or wrongly they can't even blow their noses without the say so of VW so getting problems sorted out often proves long winded and sometimes difficult. I also think that they often know more than they are letting on. Either that or the person in the Dealership isn't asking the right questions of VW.

Whichever is true, and it might be a mixture of the two, it leaves us customers unhappy and with a poor impression of the model and the brand. VW should therefore be more proactive and stick their heads above the parapet in order to ease our qualms occasionally. I doubt that they will though so the Dealer will remain the 'piggy in the middle' and take the flack which I think is a little unfair on them.

nice_fish

My infotainment has no suffix and software version is 1668. My Samsung Galaxy S20 will not connect wirelessly to Android Auto. As far as I know, only hardware with suffix D and software in the range 17xx to 18xx will connect to AA wirelessly.
You 're killing me Dave, what you say means that I will never have wireless Android Auto while driving the Golf8. Thanks for your reply anyway. I tend to be optimistic towards anything that has to do with software though, it can be upgraded (but you also mention the console model, which cannot change).

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Actually the firmware can also be updated on these LG infotainment units. The hardware in them are all the same H56. One of the reasons why they would not upgrade the firmware is that the newer firmware was only tested with the other newer control units of the car. And as you can see many of them have been upgraded a couple of times also.
I have seen a couple of Octavia cars that got the 816B to 816F update and have had other problems.. As i said at the start of the year we are their beta testers the problem is they cant even get that right either😂😂