Macbook Pro or PC (laptop)

• PC (laptop)

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Macbook Pro

Votes: 32 71.1%

• Total voters

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Been a PC guy for my whole life but bought an iMac in January and will never go back. Every PC I've owned has been fucked in a matter of weeks. I can rub viruses all over my Mac and nothing happens.

stop clicking on random links like in my megan fox thread and maybe you wouldnt have viruses...

anyways..
i bought my gf a macbook 2 years ago and i cant stand it, she likes it cause its "cute" the only reason she even still has it is cause of parallels. i build custom pcs for fun so paying for an overpriced laptop that looks pretty is thumbs down for me

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
I love macs and have been using them for years, but here's a caution on the new Macbook Pros: the battery is built into the laptop. Any laptop has a limited battery life, so in 3 or 4 years (maybe less, it's only warranted for a year) when the battery won't stay charged for longer than half an hour, you'll have to buy a whole new computer instead of just a new battery. I personally haven't held onto a machine that long, but it's definitely something you need to consider if you're looking to keep the thing for the long haul.

Otherwise, OS X blows windows away, and is the sole reason I've been using macs for as long as I have. I love it.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
mac, no question... and do not compare a mac to a run of the mill dell like they were just flavors of coffee. Not having owned and used one I guess you wouldn't understand the differences in quality, durability and user friendliness. Silent, well built, hold their value, and work..... it's like mentioning a yugo in the same breath as a mercedes. There is a reason why the merc is more pricey. You can buy a "faster" pc and by all means if you sit in a room playing video games all day you're better off with one, for the rest of us the mac is better.Then again, it's kind of subjective I guess, at least in as much as what it's worth to you.

soze

Go Kart Champion
I like the mac hardware designs... and now that mac hardware can run windows... even better for me!

That being said... I just got a laptop recently, and I still didn't get a mac.

I ended up getting an HP HDX 16, and I'm running Windows 7 64bit.

HP HDX16
1920x1080 resolution on glossy display
4gb ram
320 7200rpm HD
integrated bluetooth
integrated webcam
Geforce 9600m GT w/512mb (I could've upgraded to 1gb) for $100

cost came out to around $1150 after instant rebates. (ditching the high res screen would bump down the price a lot, but I need my desktop real estate)

I just missed out on the free blu-ray drive upgrade they had though, but I don't have any blu-ray anyway.

Why?

1. I'm a MS .NET developer.
2. I wanted at least 1920x1080, 1920x1200 resolution on a size smaller than 17"
3. Mac hardware costs waay too much for what I need.
4. HP HDX 16 is pretty slick for a PC! (i'm not into 13" laptops, I need to program on it)

Impressions of Windows 7 64bit so far? The damn OS blows Windows XP & Vista away. I've used Vista for 2 years, and it sucked compared to XP SP3. Windows 7 is what Vista should have been, and it's a pretty sweet OS in my opinion. I'm using the Release Candidate, and so far it's been rock solid (with every single software I had installed and was using on Vista, although I did upgrade some of them to their 64bit counterparts).

Oh yeah, I still get to play my games :)

Last edited:

krische

vdubber in training
^
Yeah I downloaded Windows 7 64bit when they first released the Release Candidate. Put it on my self-built computer which I use as my tv/media center. I love windows 7. Solid as a rock, haven't had a issue with it yet really.

As for the OP, I've owned the 13in plastic macbook for a little over 3 years now. I love it and wouldn't have wanted anything else. The 13inch is perfect if you are a student. Not too big on a desk and is great to throw in a back pack and take to class.

Yeah Apple's products are pricier than their competitors. I really only like their computers, don't care for the iphone or ipods. Much other better products out there for your money IMO. However, I feel like their laptops are worth the extra money. The build quality and durability are the best in the market. My 3 year old macbook (besides the little scuffs and scratches) feels just as nice and strong as the brand new ones.

I've played around with the new aluminum ones, and one word describes them, damn. Just picking it up and you know its worth it. They are as built like a rock. Almost feels like you could drop them from 5 feet and it'd be fine. That kind of peace of mind is worth the little extra bit of cash.

medic001918

Passed Driver's Ed
Love my MBP. Almost two years old and runs as good today as it did the day I bought it. I used to end up getting a new laptop every year to two years because they'd be so loaded with crap it was just easier to get a new one. No problems with the Mac. My next one will also be a Mac without a doubt.

Shane

kyle

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for all the replies. I bought a 13" Macbook Pro last night...can't wait to get it. I went to the local Apple store yesterday too to check them out one more time. Those Apple stores are cool as hell...alot of helpful people too. I agree that the build quality of the mac is like night and day compared to any pc I've ever owned. I was really struggling between getting the 15" and 13" and was even looking hard at the 20" imac which would have been a bit too 'in my face' based on where it would be sitting. Budget was a concern but since I own my own business, I write it off. I went with the 13" which seemed plenty big enough.

In the end, I think I just wanted something new and wanted to learn something new, although I worked on macs years ago. Plus, all of the Dells that I configured got lousy reviews.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
I knew this thread was bound to draw the attention of Mac fans... no point in mentioning PCs :thumbdown:

No offense, but majority of the people that complain about PCs are n00bs... that's why they go for Macs because it's straight forward.

skacoreimplore

they see me trollinnn
def just dont get a dell and stick with the PC... the price of the mac really isnt worth it.

having a mac is like all the people in the world that buy starbucks coffee for 5 or more dollars when you can go to the gas station and get the samething for a dollar.... its all about the name of the brand thats all.

It isn't about the brand at all, it is about having a near perfect OS.

kyle

Go Kart Champion
Well, I've never found PC architecture to be too complex. Hopefully, that means I'll pick up the mac pretty quickly.:biggrin:

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
I knew this thread was bound to draw the attention of Mac fans... no point in mentioning PCs :thumbdown:

No offense, but majority of the people that complain about PCs are n00bs... that's why they go for Macs because it's straight forward.

The whole IT dept at my company has Macs. My best friend is an IT professional as well... he too has a Mac.

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
I was really struggling between getting the 15" and 13" and was even looking hard at the 20" imac which would have been a bit too 'in my face' based on where it would be sitting.
I have a 20" iMac and it's the perfect size for a desktop and also the smallest available. I didn't buy the 24" for the same reason you didn't buy the 20". Even the sales guy said flat out... "I have a 24" because I use it as a TV. If you're not doing that then you have no need for anything over 20""

utekineir

Banned

No offense, but the majority of people that touch themselves in a dark room call people n00bs.