Macbook Pro or PC (laptop)

• PC (laptop)

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Macbook Pro

Votes: 32 71.1%

• Total voters

kyle

Go Kart Champion
I know I'm probably crazy for throwing this out there, but I'm ready to buy something and can't decide. I've used Dell desktops/laptops for years but do actually have some experience with Macs, albeit a long time ago.

I do like to play the occasional game here and there but am by no means a hardcore gamer...just don't have the time. I've priced out a bunch of Dells but none of them really excite me too much. I've been looking hard at the 13" Macbook Pros as well. Part of me thinks I just want a change from PCs.

I welcome all comments, thoughts, opinions. Thanks.

robby2161

the power and the glory
Macs FTW. I made the switch a few years back and have never been happier. Mac OS just runs so much better than Windows or Linux, it's hard to explain unless you've owned a Mac. Also, the new Macbooks really are sick - backlit keyboard, fucking awesome trackpad, sweet aluminum enclosure, like 6+ hours of battery life, and a gorgeous glossy display. I have the 15" which I got a few weeks ago; I absolutely love it. If you're looking for an all around good computer that won't crash and/or get viruses and don't need to run Windows-specific programs, definitely go Mac.

kyle

Go Kart Champion
Macs FTW. I made the switch a few years back and have never been happier. Mac OS just runs so much better than Windows or Linux, it's hard to explain unless you've owned a Mac. Also, the new Macbooks really are sick - backlit keyboard, fucking awesome trackpad, sweet aluminum enclosure, like 6+ hours of battery life, and a gorgeous glossy display. I have the 15" which I got a few weeks ago; I absolutely love it. If you're looking for an all around good computer that won't crash and/or get viruses and don't need to run Windows-specific programs, definitely go Mac.

Thanks. That's the thing...I do need to able to open/work with Excel, Word, .pdfs, but I can always get Office for the Mac.

I agree that the new Pros are sweet. They look great, and the build quality is the best I think I've seen.

robby2161

the power and the glory
Thanks. That's the thing...I do need to able to open/work with Excel, Word, .pdfs, but I can always get Office for the Mac.

I agree that the new Pros are sweet. They look great, and the build quality is the best I think I've seen.

Definitely. I always had problems with the screen hinges getting fucked up on my white Macbook and super old iBook (as a result from dropping them). These things are built like tanks, I love it. Also, you can just torrent Office for Mac like I did, completly free. Or you could pay for it, I think its like $150 so not bad.

Oh also, the speakers on the new Pros are really good for laptop speakers imo, some of the loudest I've heard.

utekineir

Banned
The new macs are great if you can swallow the price.

Os x, windows (through bootcamp or virtualized), and a good solid feel in your hands.

Of course you do pay more for lower speced hardware.

kyle

Go Kart Champion
Yeah...I think I'm just bored with PCs. It sucks they don't make alot of games for the Mac.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
I've always been a PC guy but it never hurts to switch it up especially now in your situation...

def just dont get a dell and stick with the PC... the price of the mac really isnt worth it.

having a mac is like all the people in the world that buy starbucks coffee for 5 or more dollars when you can go to the gas station and get the samething for a dollar.... its all about the name of the brand thats all.

bovice

Banned
macbook pro ftmfw. ive been using macs for 5 years, never once did i have a problem. got my cousin, my brother, and 3 close friends to switch to macs (and soon my parents) and they couldnt imagine owning another pc again.

you will love it, plus, load up bootcamp and you can run windows flawlessly.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
def just dont get a dell and stick with the PC... the price of the mac really isnt worth it.

having a mac is like all the people in the world that buy starbucks coffee for 5 or more dollars when you can go to the gas station and get the samething for a dollar.... its all about the name of the brand thats all.

I have to agree here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Mac, but am a supporter... and I do like my Starbuck's lol... but it's not worth it in my opinion. Unless you're in the music business or you're a graphic designer, then yes... but otherwise it's just another trendy device in Apple's line-up.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Anyone know if it's easy to dual-boot with Windows?

utekineir

Banned
Anyone know if it's easy to dual-boot with Windows?

apples can be set up to dual boot os x and windows super easy,

pcs can be set up to dual boot different os'es pretty easily too,

imo mac vs pc comes down mainly to budget, since windows can be run just fine with either choice.

how much are you comfortable with spending?

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
apples can be set up to dual boot os x and windows super easy,

pcs can be set up to dual boot different os'es pretty easily too,

imo mac vs pc comes down mainly to budget, since windows can be run just fine with either choice.

how much are you comfortable with spending?

Oh, well I'm not planning to buy a Mac anytime soon... never owned one. Sorry OP, didn't mean to jack your thread. Was just wondering lol... thanks

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
Been a PC guy for my whole life but bought an iMac in January and will never go back. Every PC I've owned has been fucked in a matter of weeks. I can rub viruses all over my Mac and nothing happens.