GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ukraine: WAR Huh - What Is It Good For Absorootly Nothing

cb1111

Ukraine detains Russian-owned ship loaded with grain at Black Sea port (msn.com)

EU condemns Russian atrocities in Ukraine (msn.com)

US-donated HIMARS is the 'perfect' weapon thanks to poor Russian logistics forcing senior commanders in its range, military expert says (msn.com)

Pentagon: Latest Batch of Ukrainian Military Aid Will Cause ‘Morale Problems’ for Russia (msn.com)

Belarus recalls its ambassador to the UK in response to London sanctions (msn.com)

Putin introduces tough new sentences for “actions of high treason” (msn.com)

Pro-Russian authorities in Donetsk denounce the death of 40 Ukrainians in Ukrainian prison attack (msn.com)

Russia’s gas cuts throw fuel on Asia’s energy security woes (msn.com)

Russian space official predicts 'avalanche' of technical failures on the International Space Station after 2024 (msn.com) sabotage much?

California secession movement was funded and directed by Russian intelligence agents, US government alleges (msn.com) But Russia doesn’t engage in disinformation….

Russian national charged with U.S. political influence operation (msn.com)

Russian operative used U.S. activist groups to spread propaganda, feds say (msn.com)

DOJ indictment accuses Russian national of turning Americans into tools of Russian government (msn.com)

Video: First Ukrainian Grain Ship Prepares for Departure After Russia Deal | Watch (msn.com)

Russia's Mercenaries Playing Key Role As Putin Struggles With Losses: U.K. (msn.com)

Borrell deplores attack on Donetsk prison, calls alleged video of castration «appalling» (msn.com)

Moldovan president tells Romanian counterpart that she will «ask for help» if Russia tries to attack them (msn.com)

UKRAINE UPDATES — Russian missiles hit outskirts of Kyiv (msn.com)

Ukraine calls for Russia to be recognized as state sponsor of terrorism (msn.com)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I haven't been following this story very closely because it's more of a human interest side show rather than real news but feel free to correct me if I misunderstood something here.

She was arrested for bringing marijuana through airport security into Russia (where the drug is illegal). The news and state department has decided we care about her (but not any other American citizen arrested abroad for drug smuggling) and are willing to trade an arms dealer with the Russians to get her back?

Meanwhile hundreds of people still sit in jail in the united states for marijuana related drug charges and who knows how many are sitting in foreign jails for smuggling. Is it just because she's a professional athlete that people care?
Whelan?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Whelan is a different topic and should be repatriated - but this wouldn't even be discussed if it weren't for Griner
Am I missing something? Isn't it Griner and Whelan?

Your comment is pretty speculative. It's possible if it were just Whelan or Griner, we wouldn't be at the point of discussing a trade.

cb1111

If it were just Whelan it wouldn't be discussed publicly. Discussions surrounding Whelan have been going on (and nowhere) for a long time. The Russians have been wanting to get Viktor Bout back for a long time and we've been refusing.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If it were just Whelan it wouldn't be discussed publicly. Discussions surrounding Whelan have been going on (and nowhere) for a long time. The Russians have been wanting to get Viktor Bout back for a long time and we've been refusing.
That doesn't address the point I made though.

When it was just Whelan, this offer wasn't made.

You're speculating that if it were only Griner, the offer would be on the table. I don't agree. There's been very little public outcry for her situation.

I think the prospect of getting both of them back is why the offer was made.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Griner is a high profile enough figure to leverage a higher profile discussion for whelan

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Griner is a high profile enough figure to leverage a higher profile discussion for whelan
Be honest, had you ever heard of her before she was arrested? I hadn't. I doubt 5% of Americans could have picked her of out in a crowd if their life depended on it.

I'm not saying she doesn't warrant help, I'm saying she isn't high profile. That seems to be the mass delusion that we've sold to ourselves.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Be honest, had you ever heard of her before she was arrested? I hadn't. I doubt 5% of Americans could have picked her of out in a crowd if their life depended on it.

I'm not saying she doesn't warrant help, I'm saying she isn't high profile. That seems to be the mass delusion that we've sold to ourselves.
Yes. Probably one of the only current WNBA players I could name

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Probably helps that I went to a school with a good women's basketball program, but I still can name maybe 3 WNBA players that didn't go to that given school.

cb1111

She is high profile only because she was stupid enough to go to Russia right around the time that Russia invaded Ukraine. Whelan had long dropped off the public radar by then.

cb1111

Russian Offensive Campaign Assessment, July 27 | Institute for the Study of War (understandingwar.org)

Ukraine Reports Russian Losses of 105 Troops, Tanks, Ammo Depots in South (msn.com)

Ukraine Calls for Investigation Into Prison Explosion (msn.com)

Russia wants to add murderer to prisoner swap for Griner, Whelan: Report (msn.com)

Farmers wear flak jackets to harvest grain | Watch (msn.com)

Germany to send Ukraine 16 bridge-laying tanks, adding to its arsenal of Western weapons, as it wages a new offensive against the Russian invasion (msn.com)

Ukraine condemns Russia's 'humiliating death' tweet (msn.com)

Russia Failing to Gain Air Superiority as U.S. HIMARS Hit SAMs: Pentagon (msn.com)

Red Cross struggles to see prison where Ukrainian POWS died (msn.com)

Ukraine Situation Report: HIMARS Knocks Out Strategic Rail Bridge Near Kherson (msn.com)

Two of Putin's top Russian pilots were killed by US-supplied HIMARS, report says (msn.com)

Ukrainian government prepares evacuation of more than 200,000 residents of Donetsk before winter (msn.com)

Pentagon isn’t seeing ‘real, substantive change’ in Ukraine (msn.com)

Feds put $10m bounty on Putin pal accused of bankrolling US election troll farm (msn.com)

‘Horrific’ video apparently showing castration of Ukrainian fighter condemned (msn.com)

Women at war: Life on eastern Ukraine's front lines (msn.com)

Ukraine – UN offers to investigate Elenovka prison bombing (msn.com)

Ukrainian authorities denounce an attack with more than 80 shells on the town of Nikopol (msn.com)

Ukrainian authorities denounce an attack with more than 80 shells on the town of Nikopol (msn.com)

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Didn't read many of these but we keep seeing the theme of Russia's failing attempt. Is this optimism or reality? When will they pull pack and declare their operation over and therefore victory?