GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

UPDATE: SEE #17 Six Teenage Girls Killed in Car Crash With Semi

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Shovelhd: "Blame the victim" was not directed at you. In fact, I was prefacing it before my own comments. Some who are sensitive for victims are quick to swing at those who put fault on the victims. As I look at the scenario, I tend to think that the student was at fault ("victim-blaming"). But I'm also jumping to a conclusion with insufficient evidence. I admit that, while some will jump to the conclusion and declare it as fact. I'd like to know the truth about what happened. But it's none of my business. On the other hand, I would be disappointed if a prosecutor blames the truck driver 100% if he was driving 1-mph over the speed limit or 1-lb over his axle limit when the accident was a direct result of the student driver. Could the truck driver be 1% at fault? Maybe. The investigator will collect A LOT of data to see if the truck driver can be pinned with anything. I'm curious to see how the case unfolds. We may never know.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the update! I guess I was correct in my speculation that the girls were turning left and possibly on their way back to school. Hopefully, the investigation finds nothing wrong with the truck's weights or logs.

cb1111

It sounds as if they didn't stop for the stop sign and I don't think that OK is one of those states where you can follow the car in front of you.

cb1111

I didn't know there were states where you can.

There are for bicycles but I don't know a rolling stop was ok in places for automobiles.
When I moved to MA in the 90's, I was told that you you could follow the car in front of you assuming that both of you had come to a complete stop.

It changed in MA Can the second and third cars in line proceed through a stop sign? | Massachusetts Law Updates but it may still be OK in other states.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
It's probably just me but I don't know anywhere a rolling stop is an ultimate safe practice. I know there are thousands of times you can do it and be fine but it only takes once.

cb1111

It's probably just me but I don't know anywhere a rolling stop is an ultimate safe practice. I know there are thousands of times you can do it and be fine but it only takes once.
Absolutely. I always thought that was strange. It didn't make sense and the lawmakers obviously agreed.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
There's nothing wrong with a rolling stop if traffic is light and you're actually paying attention.

This is a Chevy Spark carrying 6 people tho. What might have been a close call driving by herself ended up a tragedy instead. Car must have had zero acceleration and all safety systems are compromised in an overloaded vehicle.

One of the most dangerous things to a young driver is having a car loaded with passengers. If your kids are about to hit the road, don't let them become the chauffeur for their group of friends, it isn't worth the risk.