GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrade to Nav Pro (MIB 2) but keeping Car-net

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Just an enquiry here please. Now that they have been out for a few years, there's plenty of companies now in the UK, that can offer to upgrade the "standard" 8" Discover Nav on the MK7.5 Golfs to the bigger 9.2" Nav Pro. All of them say that component protection is removed and as such all features work as they would if factory fitted, including App Connect (Apple Car Play and Android Auto). However all seem to say you will loose access to the VW Car-Net function.

Now I know a lot of people think Car-Net is rubbish or even a gimmick, but I tend to use it all the time. I find the live traffic info really accurate and it pops up on the infotainment on the AID navigation screen overlay straight away, and shows the roads as either Green (free flowing), Orange (a bit of congestion) or Red (fuc*ed up ahead). I know a lot on here hate the VW Nav and much prefer to use either Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze (through either Apple car play or Android Auto), and as excellent as they are for navigating, on a day to day basis the maps don't show in the AID only on the Infotainment screen.

Also, on many occasions I've pre-planned a route or destination on either my PC, Mac or even tablet and just sent it to the car. As soon as the car then connects to my wifi network (more on that below), it immediately informs me that a new destination(s) are available for download and enables you to navigate to them straight away. Also, things like local and destination weather can be had as well as news feeds (I have about 5 news feeds set up). So yes, whilst not essential, I do tend to use one or more feature daily, and something if i did upgrade, would like to keep.

So (finally) does anyone know if there is a way to re-activate this after an upgrade ?

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
If your car has a 3G0 unit installed,I can convert to 5NA unit(MIB2.5 9.2" screen) and Car-Net will work.
If your car has a 5G0 unit installed,Car-Net will stop working.

Stotty

Car(s)
Golf R
Hi I have a 3q0035874c unit with car net I’m looking at upgrading to MIB with car net, if I get a unit with a sim will this work for car net?

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
If your car has a 3G0 unit installed,I can convert to 5NA unit(MIB2.5 9.2" screen) and Car-Net will work.
If your car has a 5G0 unit installed,Car-Net will stop working.

Sorry, are you referring to my current 8” discover nav system or the 9.2” nav pro I’d potentially replace it with ?

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Sorry to resurrect this older post, but I'm still considering an upgrade to the 9.2" Discover Pro (from my Current 8" Discover unit - MIB2.5), but really would like to keep CAR-NET active, and even extend the subscription when the 3 years expires next may. My current 5F infotainment screen is the 3Q0035874C hardware version 851, software version 0876.

This would be in the UK. Anyone any ideas as member - simaservis1108 (above) never expanded on his comments ?

BTW, when I say CAR-Net, I don't mean the built in SIM inside the car fitted to early 2019 Golf's onwards that gives you emergency and breakdown buttons in the overhead console. I'm referring to the CAR-Net that when a WiFi tethering hotspot is made to my car from the phone, it allows live traffic data to show on the Nav Screen, and gives you car park details, Weather, News feeds, Petrol prices etc. That's the part I'd like to keep if possible ?

Last edited:

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
3Q0035874C
hardware version 851
software version 0876.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
If you upgrade to MIB2.5 High(9.2" screen) you will loose the Car-Net.

You have MIB2 STD unit which uses a different back end server than MIB2.5 High Unit.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
If you upgrade to MIB2.5 High(9.2" screen) you will loose the Car-Net.

You have MIB2 STD unit which uses a different back end server than MIB2.5 High Unit.
OK, thanks anyway.