GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used Car Prices Keep Getting More Shocking

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
The college tuition problem is from American college students wanting gyms, starbucks, movie theaters, swimming pools, yoga studios and butthole waxing salons on campus. In Germany, and Europe in general, tuition is much cheaper or subsidized because you get a stack of books and a teacher. That’s it.
Typically the expense to build all of those non-academic portions of a campus are not part of tuition, they are funded by a separate fee and are not funded by the university or college. It does add to the overall expense but it is not part of why tuition has gotten so high. And those fees for non-academic facilities like gyms are voted into being by the student body.

Much earlier in California you could go to UCLA or any of the other UCs or State Colleges and there was no tuition, there were modest fees but no tuition. All of those institutions were funded through the state budget. In the 60's there was a lot o protest on campuses throughout the US due in large part to war protests. Politicians seized on that unrest and used the Higher Ed generally as a foil to gain election to office by condemning the protests which was a front page topic making the general public uncomfortable. The political move was to run on condemning the protests, promising to balance budgets by saying that they should no longer subsidise public institutions of higher ed. That is when these politicians introduced the tax cuts and transferred a large part of the state's financial burden directly to students through introduction of tuition. Over the years states have since continued to find that a great budget balancing tool is to cut the budget for public colleges and raise tuition to make up for it.

Everybody will have an opinion on tuition. I think that our country has suffered greatly as a result of our defunding of public higher education in the US. For democracy to remain strong it is important that we maintain a well educated population. We gave up funding one of our most important assets and we are currently suffering from that big change that started in the 60's.

I have a suggestion for everyone who participates in this thread. Please stop making it personal, make it about the topic and don't attack people for having an opinion. If you think they have an opinion that is not well informed, simply provide the part of the argument they might be missing.

Now. back got to the topic, yes car prices are going up but so is housing, food and the cost of most consumer items. I agree, For every problem like this one there are business opportunities (how do you fill the need for transportation).

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Typically the expense to build all of those non-academic portions of a campus are not part of tuition, they are funded by a separate fee and are not funded by the university or college. It does add to the overall expense but it is not part of why tuition has gotten so high. Much earlier in California you could go to UCLA or any of the other UCs or State Colleges and there was no tuition, there were modest fees but no tuition. All of those institutions were funded through the state budget. In the 60's there was a lot o protest on campuses throughout the US due in large part to war protests. Politicians seized on that unrest and used the Higher Ed generally as a foil to gain election to office by condemning the protests which was a front page topic making the general public uncomfortable. The political move was to run on condemning the protests, promising to balance budgets by saying that they should no longer subsidise public institutions of higher ed. That is when these politicians introduced the tax cuts and transferred a large part of the state's financial burden directly to students through introduction of tuition. Over the years states have since continued to find that a great budget balancing tool is to cut the budget for public colleges and raise tuition to make up for it.

Everybody will have an opinion on tuition. I think that our country has suffered greatly as a result of our defunding of public higher education in the US. For democracy to remain strong it is important that we maintain a well educated population. We gave up funding one of our most important assets and we are currently suffering from that big change that started in the 60's.

I have a suggestion for everyone who participates in this thread. Please stop making it personal, make it about the topic and don't attack people for having an opinion. If you think they have an opinion that is not well informed, simply provide the part of the argument they might be missing.

Now. back got to the topic, yes car prices are going up but so is housing, food and the cost of most consumer items. I agree, For every problem like this one there are business opportunities (how do you fill the need for transportation).

No amount is information will fix people being misinformed. Being misinformed is a personal choice at this point, not a lack of available information.

FB_IMG_1641836415527.jpg

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Yeah look how well government schools are going so far: “Testing is racist, 2+2=5, etc”

I put my kid in one of the “free” daycares for 2 days. He came back with bite marks on his face and talking about inappropriate things.

No thanks.

I agree that public schools have been on the decline as is overall civility in our country. That lack of civility however is related more to an overall degradation of our family culture (another whole topic). The public schools are having to deal with this rise in uncivil behaviour and laws that prevent them from providing the discipline necessary. The underfunding also plays into classroom management. Unfortunately uncivil students cause teachers to devote non-academic time to managing these behaviour issues. Underfunding, will result in much larger classrooms exacerbating the difficulty in classroom management. Ideal classroom size is 10 students per instructor in the old days, today with more uncivil behaviour coming to school 8 students per teacher might be ideal. And in the real world we have 25-40 or more students per instructor.

I feel.bad for your kid, that he had a bad experience. Kids should be able to enjoy the experience of learning and get a good education. I feel good for him that he has a good Dad to look out after him. Not all kids are so lucky.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
No amount is information will fix people being misinformed. Being misinformed is a personal choice at this point, not a lack of available information.

I agree no amount of information will keep people from being misinformed. However a lack of education and an inability to engage in actual critical thinking will.
Critical thinking is really one of the most important take aways you should get from a college education. Not that you can only become a critical thinker by going to college but it is part of what professors impart in their classrooms generally. You are making a good argument for higher education which helps people decipher all of that information and causes them to be critical thinkers for their entire life.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
I agree no amount of information will keep people from being misinformed. However a lack of education and an inability to engage in actual critical thinking will.
Critical thinking is really one of the most important take aways you should get from a college education. Not that you can only become a critical thinker by going to college but it is part of what professors impart in their classrooms generally. You are making a good argument for higher education which helps people decipher all of that information and causes them to be critical thinkers for their entire life.
Sadly, questioning things nowadays is frowned upon. Even on Quora, I see answerers responding to questions as being incorrect statements, rather than queries by a person who may find certain things being amiss, and wanting to explore why.
D522FFE5-7788-46A3-A630-A71E8C052DD4.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Sadly, questioning things nowadays is frowned upon. Even on Quora, I see answerers responding to questions as being incorrect statements, rather than queries by a person who may find certain things being amiss, and wanting to explore why.
View attachment 235275

No, questioning things without actually doing 5 minutes of critical thinking and research is why you get pounded every time you post.

But way to go, you've managed to turn the people spreading misinformation into the real victims. 🙄

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
No, questioning things without actually doing 5 minutes of critical thinking and research is why you get pounded every time you post.

But way to go, you've managed to turn the people spreading misinformation into the real victims. 🙄
Sorry but 1 guy on the forum who resorts to rudeness and childish namecalling hardly qualifies as me getting “pounded”. How many weeks of arbitrary adversity can you keep up? At some point you have to admit that attacking someone for an opinion puts you on the losing side of any debate

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Sorry but 1 guy on the forum who resorts to rudeness and childish namecalling hardly qualifies as me getting “pounded”. How many weeks of arbitrary adversity can you keep up? At some point you have to admit that attacking someone for an opinion puts you on the losing side of any debate

No, I'm calling you out for having opinions supported by your own opinions.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Can I call myself out for my opinions wanting to argue with my opinions? I know it's time to quit when I can't agree with myself.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Think whatever you want. Everyone should. Hope you have a great week and you get to do something fun and interesting.

anotero

Autocross Champion

Remind him how he ran away from the scamdemic thread with his tail between his legs.