GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Used gti manual

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Hey guys, I’m looking to buy a used cheaper car until some new models come out and wanted it to be a manual so I can learn on a cheaper car. Was thinking like a 2015/16 manual gti or 2015/16 wrx or a 09-11 civic si. Which one you think would be best, does the manual suck on the gti? I’ve heard it’s hard to shift smooth on both the gti and wrx.

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
Learning the basics is the important part the car really doesn’t matter. Get the car you like the most and learn. Every manual is different and requires time to get it right

FRANKIEWALLNUTS

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW mk7 Gti
Get a Subaru, and start gathering head gaskets. My mechanic friend at work has a wall of shame filled with old ones lol. Turbos too. And a few boxer motors behind the shop for miscellaneous take off parts lol.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Mini Cooper

danvilla413

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 SE 6MT, '04 S2K
I learned on a 2000 Nissan Altima SE (stick was so vague it was like shifting a spoon in a bowl of mashed potatoes and the clutch was unreasonably heavy and difficult to modulate). Before I had a GTI, I had a '12 Civic Si - fantastic 6spd. To be honest, I still think Honda makes the best manuals in the world. So I'd get a Honda.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
If its going to be a temporary vehicle, i would go with the cheapest option which would lose less money over the period of ownership. Among the options, i would go with Civic Si.

You have been looking for a vehicle for a while and created several threads in the past. Any reason why you are not going with MK7.5s (especially the 2019s)?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I learned on a 2000 Nissan Altima SE (stick was so vague it was like shifting a spoon in a bowl of mashed potatoes and the clutch was unreasonably heavy and difficult to modulate). Before I had a GTI, I had a '12 Civic Si - fantastic 6spd. To be honest, I still think Honda makes the best manuals in the world. So I'd get a Honda.

Blasphemy. 😂

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
If its going to be a temporary vehicle, i would go with the cheapest option which would lose less money over the period of ownership. Among the options, i would go with Civic Si.

You have been looking for a vehicle for a while and created several threads in the past. Any reason why you are not going with MK7.5s (especially the 2019s)?

yea, I looked for a 19 rabbit for awhile, then I realized it was stupid paying 24 grand for a used car and decided to wait and just get a cheaper car to learn manual on for a year or two and buy something new. I like the mk7.5 but I think it’s getting a little long in the tooth. There are some options coming out next year or so corolla gr, new gti, maybe new wrx, new civic next spring so maybe si. that’s mainly the reason. However finding a used Si 8th gen is pretty tough, most all are beat up by highschool young kids and they had paint issues with them in general, most have paint fade/clouding. Good cars though

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
Anyone had success with shipping a car to themselves when buying from a private seller? Obviously not ideal situation but would get Carfax, details on car from seller. Have them take it to Midas/a dealer for a used car inspection and test drive. Talk to service about findings and then have it shipped to me if checks out.

If it’s under say 500 miles away, would just fly one way and drive home

Lysol88

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I used to have a 8th gen Civic Si: great transmission feel + heel toe was a dream with it's floor hinged accelerator pedal.
The K20 engine was a bit of a torqueless wonder around town, but was pretty epic to wind-out on a back road.
Finally sold it at 175k miles...I still miss that car.

helenhighwater

Having owned lot of cars in my long life, including a couple of M3's and other fun vehicless, I have no doubt that the best manual I have driven is in the Miata. Also a load of fun to toss around if you don't need a back seat and can get over the non-manly thing.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
ended up buying a car, 1,000 miles away so about 14 hour drive. Flight plus gas has would be like 250. Shipping maybe 500 or more but would save the 1,000 miles on car and my time. What do you guys recommend. Car is very clean, mature family selling, all service records, pre inspection reports, carfax etc. so I'm not too worried about buying something with issues.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
ended up buying a car, 1,000 miles away so about 14 hour drive. Flight plus gas has would be like 250. Shipping maybe 500 or more but would save the 1,000 miles on car and my time. What do you guys recommend. Car is very clean, mature family selling, all service records, pre inspection reports, carfax etc. so I'm not too worried about buying something with issues.

What car? If you can have the time off work it sounds like a nice road trip.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well now I have a choice, haven’t exchanged money on Honda si yet but we agreed on deal. Guy I contacted about gti early today finally got back to me so I have a choice now.
2011 Honda Civic si (very clean, 1 owner, 100,000 miles)
Or
2017 vw gti sport (dsg, 54,000 miles, 1 owner 50 year old)

Seems like a no brainer to me. Why would you want a 9 year old car with 100,000 miles? Plus the GTI has much better more up to date safety systems.