GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

USPS hit and run

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
Yeah, you're not really getting what I am saying. We're on the same page, just seem to be in different translations lol No, hitting vehicle sis not part of the job, however, driving a vehicle is and getting into accidents are a possible side affect of this. We're not talking about him robbing banks or doing drive by shootings. Trust me, getting into a car accident is most definitely protected under "daily duties".

The Post Office is liable as an entity, there's just no way to name John Doe driver in a specific suit. It's standard government boiler plate that only they can get away with, because they say so. Ultimately it has no bearing on this because the USPS will be liable, there's no need to try to sue the driver personally.
We are also a little concerned that that driver is still out on the road. May have hit and run others as well but they didn't see who did it. But we are having a difficult time getting a human being on the phone at all. My wife is going to drive to the post office tomorrow. 😂🙈

cb1111

Yeah, you're not really getting what I am saying. We're on the same page, just seem to be in different translations lol No, hitting vehicle sis not part of the job, however, driving a vehicle is and getting into accidents are a possible side affect of this. We're not talking about him robbing banks or doing drive by shootings. Trust me, getting into a car accident is most definitely protected under "daily duties".

The Post Office is liable as an entity, there's just no way to name John Doe driver in a specific suit. It's standard government boiler plate that only they can get away with, because they say so. Ultimately it has no bearing on this because the USPS will be liable, there's no need to try to sue the driver personally.
Yep. We're on the same page. The US govt has far deeper pockets anyway - but the driver can be held liable if he/she was negligent. Hit-and-run is certainly outside of normal incidents. In this case, the driver can be charged with hit and run

cb1111

We are also a little concerned that that driver is still out on the road. May have hit and run others as well but they didn't see who did it. But we are having a difficult time getting a human being on the phone at all. My wife is going to drive to the post office tomorrow. 😂🙈
Do you have the number on the truck - either the plate or the number over the windshield/on rear?

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
Do you have the number on the truck - either the plate or the number over the windshield/on rear?
This was the only pic I got cant really see the plate. They hopped back in the truck and took off fast. The post office should know which truck/driver it was by the package tracking number.
20201204_181220.jpg

cb1111

This was the only pic I got cant really see the plate. They hopped back in the truck and took off fast. The post office should know which truck/driver it was by the package tracking number.View attachment 195042
Ahh, it is one of the newer ones. If you have a piece of the truck, then it should be pretty easy to match up.

Why don't you just file a police report? Give the cops the picture and the part and they'll track the driver down real quick and give you info on how to file a claim.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
Ahh, it is one of the newer ones. If you have a piece of the truck, then it should be pretty easy to match up.

Why don't you just file a police report? Give the cops the picture and the part and they'll track the driver down real quick and give you info on how to file a claim.
We got a police report and the cop was like here ya go good luck!🙈

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
That's absurd. The Federal government is self-insured. There is no "immunity" from anything.

You can do several things - contact the local post office (not very helpful) or report to the OIG as employee misconduct - as hit-and-run is clear misconduct. Getting compensation from the government is easy - although it takes awhile.

You can, of course, go through your insurance company and you'll eventually get your deductible back if you can show that the USPS driver was responsible.

Beat me to it. :) I would also call the postmaster at your post office and ask for the name of your carrier. Tell him or her what happened, then go to the police inquire whether you can file a criminal complaint. The carrier will probably say he didn't know he hit something, but they or their supervisor are responsible for inspecting their vehicle for damage before and after they take their vehicle. Insurance companies only care about their responsibilities in your policy. As far as I know, they're not obligated to try to recover deductibles, they only do it as a courtesy. Not their top priority. All of the above assumes procedures are the same as when I was working.

cb1111

Beat me to it. :) I would also call the postmaster at your post office and ask for the name of your carrier. Tell him or her what happened, then go to the police inquire whether you can file a criminal complaint. The carrier will probably say he didn't know he hit something, but they or their supervisor are responsible for inspecting their vehicle for damage before and after they take their vehicle. Insurance companies only care about their responsibilities in your policy. As far as I know, they're not obligated to try to recover deductibles, they only do it as a courtesy. Not their top priority. All of the above assumes procedures are the same as when I was working.
Nothing has changed. If the OP has a piece of the truck, then it is a slam dunk. It probably wasn't their usual mailcarrier though as mail isn't delivered on a daily basis in those trucks.

If the OP doesn't get this resolved from the government, then it is his fault.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
My wife went to usps.com yesterday and did the "contact us" option and filled out a "personnel complaint". They sent back a basic generic response so that's where were at so far. Hopefully we hear something soon.

cb1111

My wife went to usps.com yesterday and did the "contact us" option and filled out a "personnel complaint". They sent back a basic generic response so that's where were at so far. Hopefully we hear something soon.
Don't hld your breath. You need to speak to the local postmaster. Me? I'd drive by the post office and take a picture of the offending vehicle. Should be easy enough to find if you have a part of the car.

I'd also be hopping up and down at the police department

Thumper

Autocross Champion
As far as I know, they're not obligated to try to recover deductibles, they only do it as a courtesy. Not their top priority. All of the above assumes procedures are the same as when I was working.

Incorrect except for some weird states with 'no fault' and similar regulations which is a function of those states laws and not how proper insurance is supposed to work.

Not sure how long since you were in the industry, but I have been in the collision repair industry since 2001, of those 19-20 years 14 of them were with insurance companies. The deductible is not a separate cost of the claim, it's merely the lowest or first part you as the policy holder are responsible to cover before insurance pays the rest. When the insurance company seeks to recover the costs of a claim they do not request their portion and then say "If you feel like it, our policyholder paid this." If you paid $500 and the insurance company spent $500 they send a demand to the responsible insurance for $1000, not $500 + $500. In fact if the fault for the incident is split and the other insurance is only responsible for 50%, they would only pay your insurance company $500 which was 50%, however your insurance would then pay you back $250, half your deductible. They would not keep the $500 they paid and tell you to pound sand.

Some really good insurance companies will actually give you you're deductible back before they even recover any money from the other company under certain situations. That would not happen with the USPS or any government agency as they operate outside the norm and are not part of the arbitration agreement between many insurance companies.

Anyway, good luck Hungry hopefully the USPS steps up but at least you have good insurance just in case. You said you had Nationwide I think, I worked for them from '01 to '07 and the shop I am at now is a direct repair for them, their parts usage is not what I would prefer but they are a stand up company otherwise.

Hungry4hops

Autocross Champion
Incorrect except for some weird states with 'no fault' and similar regulations which is a function of those states laws and not how proper insurance is supposed to work.

Not sure how long since you were in the industry, but I have been in the collision repair industry since 2001, of those 19-20 years 14 of them were with insurance companies. The deductible is not a separate cost of the claim, it's merely the lowest or first part you as the policy holder are responsible to cover before insurance pays the rest. When the insurance company seeks to recover the costs of a claim they do not request their portion and then say "If you feel like it, our policyholder paid this." If you paid $500 and the insurance company spent $500 they send a demand to the responsible insurance for $1000, not $500 + $500. In fact if the fault for the incident is split and the other insurance is only responsible for 50%, they would only pay your insurance company $500 which was 50%, however your insurance would then pay you back $250, half your deductible. They would not keep the $500 they paid and tell you to pound sand.

Some really good insurance companies will actually give you you're deductible back before they even recover any money from the other company under certain situations. That would not happen with the USPS or any government agency as they operate outside the norm and are not part of the arbitration agreement between many insurance companies.

Anyway, good luck Hungry hopefully the USPS steps up but at least you have good insurance just in case. You said you had Nationwide I think, I worked for them from '01 to '07 and the shop I am at now is a direct repair for them, their parts usage is not what I would prefer but they are a stand up company otherwise.
Thanks! Yeah nationwide is great, always a good experience when we have to deal with them. We also pay 5 dollars extra a month for OEM only parts only replacement, I've done it on all my vehicles. It automatically stops when the car is older then 10 years but in my opinion it's worth it.

Eric6014

Ready to race!
A garbage truck knocked my side mirror off a couple years ago while I was parked on the street. A neighbor saw it happen but I wasn't home to witness it so I was SOL trying to get anywhere with the city. At least you have some proof. Hopefully you'll be able to get somewhere with them.