GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VA State Inspection Scam!

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
This car sits next to my GTI in the garage:

Yesterday I took it to get inspected, I've always had the issue of shops wanting to replace the front wipers because of rips or cuts in the blades. If I'm waiting I usually ask to see the wipers and sure enough there is problem with the wiper blades. So usually 40-$50 later the car passes inspection. This has been a clear trend every inspection for both my Integra and 2017 GTI over the past 5 or so years.

Last year my local shop installed 2 new front wiper blades during the inspection. These blades probably spent a total 30 hours outside all year, half of which was after sun-down. The rear blade was replaced two years ago. So these new blades hardly saw any use or sun at all, no reason for them to be bad. So yesterday before I had the car inspected I checked and cleaned all three blades, they looked fine...as they should have. This was just before I left the house for the inspection mind you on a sun-filled day.

Car goes into the shop...sure enough I get a call saying it failed for several reasons (this wasn't my usual shop) the last of which was for....you guessed it...wiper blades! OH BOY....

I talk to the tech, he had good things to say about my Integra and said he really didn't want to fail it blah...blah. I then asked for him to point out what is wrong with the wiper blades. He showed me the right side blade was torn about ONE INCH on the end and the left blade was torn HALF AN INCH from and end. It took a lot to keep my cool, unfortunately I didn't want start a ruckus since the shop manager had likely gone home by now anyways since it was getting late. There is no way I missed such huge defects in the blades just hours before, I even tested the rear blade when I got home which is the older blade of the three...I'd say to begin a rip on that blade would require a knife as it didn't rip easily by hand. Confirmed: Shops will scam you out of wiper blades, its probably something we all suspect, but its crazy how obvious it was this time around. They intentionally ripped the blades, there simply is no other explanation.

I'm now trying to decide on what to do, I'm thinking about going back to the shop, asking for the garage manager, showing him the ripped blades and asking him to attempt to rip the third one. As the tech claimed he only need to "flick the ends" for them to rip. I want to see how easily the shop manager can rip the blade. Maybe they'll give me a full set of new blades or something...who knows, I just think this is BS and I deserve new blades and an explaination.

Also, from now on I'm going to have a set of new front blades for each car, these new blades will be installed the day of the inspection. The packaging will be left in the passenger seat. I've probably been scammed 300-$400 over 5 years between two of my cars due to "bad blades"...no more!!!!

Anyone have any more ideas?

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Report them to the BBB.

Find yourself a shop you can trust

Yea, thing is even shops I thought I could trust do the same thing...I get that they get nothing off inspections so they are covering costs...but damn, not cool.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
My parents never had that issue when they lived in Northern Virginia.

Good to hear, though it is possible shops gain a lot more from money from inspections in NOVA since NOVA requires emissions testing. When my brother lived in NOVA he had to replace the cat on his 6 year old car and pay a shop to install it. Therefore, hypothetically they have less incentive to sell wiper blades.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
go to Curry's, NGP or any other inspection station.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
OP, don't drop your car off for an inspection. Go first thing in the AM when they open and just wait for them to do it right then.

I have never had an issue with state inspections and have lived all 40 years of my life in VA.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Here in Texas, there are places that ONLY do inspections. I always try to take it to them since they have nothing to gain by failing you.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
go to Curry's, NGP or any other inspection station.

I live in the Cville area, I currently don't know of any simple inspection stations here.

OP, don't drop your car off for an inspection. Go first thing in the AM when they open and just wait for them to do it right then.

I have never had an issue with state inspections and have lived all 40 years of my life in VA.

I usually wait, and when they say my wipers need to be replaced I request to see them. Wipers are low hanging fruit.

Here in Texas, there are places that ONLY do inspections. I always try to take it to them since they have nothing to gain by failing you.

That is how it should be, it would keep them more honest.

tknj99

Ready to race!
Maybe try getting the inspection done at Flow VW/Audi/Porsche.. i doubt they need to rip up wiper blades to make a few bucks lol

swcrow

Autocross Champion
At the end of the day, you're weighing what's more valuable...... Your time finding a new place and getting there, or slapping on some blades and moving out and getting inspected.

2slowvw

Shops tried this same scam with my wife's car. I intentionally replaced the wipers before her inspection because i know thats a cheap buck places try to get. She waits for the inspection, they come out and tell her about her wiper blades needing to be replaced. She calls me, i hop into my car and drive down there within 3 minutes. Show them the receipt and ask them to show me where the blades are worn.

They pulled the old, "Sorry we got the cars mixed up with another car" routine. Car passed inspection, never went back again.

I am also located in VA (South East)