GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Virtual Cockpit Navigation

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
This is funny I just chatted with someone from the Uk that received his Golf 8 last week and has the side-assist with RTA. Maybe it is an extra option?

Will question my VW dealer on Wednesday since the car is going in to sort out the central locking (2nd time). Will only work with the fob. Alexia no longer working. Great car but...................

Thats only a few of the 100's of problems the car has so far. :cool:
I think they will either swap some control units or update the software of the kessy and its components.
About Alexa ... they will probably blame Amazon ;)

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Just checked the Golf Mk8 GTE online brochure and it clearly says that it has Rear traffic assist. Perhaps it’s installed but since there is no need to turn it off it’s not in the ‘assist list’.
Many thanks for your interest. I find both the handbook and dealer unable to answer many of my questions about this car.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
this is the view of the reversing screen with RTA on the golf 8. You can see the symbol and rear sensor bar (see the arrows I placed)
RTA.png

Yes I went one further and on both the Italian (with side-assist option added) and Uk config it shows the pr-code of 7Y1 which is for the side-assist.
No problem mate.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Massimo2323. Discovered that I do have Rear Assist. Whilest backing out of a parking space this morning a car came past and a large area (back left) on the obstacle detection display turned red.

Still rather annoyed that the map doesn’t appear on the cockpit dash. Thought it was a rather cool feature on the Mk7.5 and surprised it’s not on the more techy Mk8.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Looking at different cars with vin I found one thing in common : the infotainment units are all the same.
5H0 035 816 B035-010Control unit for Infor-
mation electronics with radio,
Bluetooth and navigation
with integrated map data
PR:B01,B02,
B04,B06,B07,
B08,B09,B10,
B11,B12,B13,
B14,B15,B16,
B31,B32,B51+
ER1+ER1+7UG,
7UT+8AR

I am almost certain at this stage that all Golfs with Discovery media and Discovery Pro have the same unit.
So that means that the map view on the cockpit is disabled by VW and other things too.
Looking at the pr-codes of this unit you have both 7UG and 7UT which are the codes for Discovery Pro and Discovery Media.
I was talking to a guy that works for Vag Italy and they do the mods for the Golf 8 in relation to the software side of things.
He has enabled the maps on the infotainment on a few cars already and said that those that brought the car in to VW for repairs have had no problems with VW.
So it should not void your warranty. If that is the case here in Ireland and also Uk , we don't know yet.
Update 1:The early Golf 8 had the 5H035816 model which was only a 7UG Discovery Pro and this would explain why all those Golf Life and higher models had the cockpit map view as standard.
Discovery Pro.png

Last edited:

Sniffer

Does anyone know how to change the Home address setting or to delete a destination on the new Mk8 GTI satnav?

There is no mention of this function in the handbook and, short of deleting my whole user profile, I haven't been able to identify any simple way of doing either of those things. The satnav in this latest model can hardly be described as user friendly, in my opinion.

Sniffer

Does anyone know how to change the Home address setting or to delete a destination on the new Mk8 GTI satnav?

There is no mention of this function in the handbook and, short of deleting my whole user profile, I haven't been able to identify any simple way of doing either of those things. The satnav in this latest model can hardly be described as user friendly, in my opinion.

I am delighted to say that I am now able to answer my own question.

It took a trip to my local VW dealership and lots of fiddling about with the screen before we got there but, when we did, the answer is embarrassingly simple. In summary, if you go to your list of destinations and swipe to the left on the one you wish to remove, then you are presented with a delete option, which you simply click. That's it!

It's just a pity that the manual isn't more helpful.

Pinocchio

Passed Driver's Ed
I was informed by my dealer that the first MK8's in the UK came with Discovery Pro as a free upgrade, which i have. It doesn't give you the same affect as an audi.

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
can anyone point me in the right direction on where i can find out if i have the discovery media or pro ? I've been trying to get a build sheet but haven't had any luck. i'm thinking that i only have the discovery media but i have access to streaming services which i thought was part of the pro package

Attachments

• IMG_2322.JPG
    IMG_2322.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 353
Last edited:

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
If you can see the maps on the dashboard display by rotating the views pressing the view button on the right side of the steering wheel then you have the Discovery Pro.

giovanotti

Passed Driver's Ed
Not to open a new thread:

- how useful do you find WV navigation?
- quality of UI, POI ...
- do you happen to know the producer of database (Here, Google...)?

In my case, navigation knows the position of my home (street name, house number) - it can show it in map.
If I want to navigate home (VW lead me home!), it will lead me to the start of the street, which is +100m away (will post screenshot later) from my house.
So much about accuracy...
It is showing the (old) restaurant name, which was changed 3 years ago...

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Giovanotti same thing happens to me , where navigating to home it says I arrived but I am 100m away from the house...
It is a problem that VW know about, you need to call and let them know.
The VW maps use the Here Go database, not the best but they own it together with Bmw and Mercedes.
I wish they would allow google or apple maps on the dashboard /HUD... I would be super happy.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Yes you lucky …… you have the 1788 and it has more functions then the older 16xx ( maps on dashboard, google directions and apple directions on the Hud and wireless Android auto …
Di you get the directions on the dashboard too?