GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wandering in the Wilderness (car shopping)

GolfARGH

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright folks, bare with me as this is a bit of group think situation. A little less than a year ago, I sold my MK7 R (Stage 2 6MT). I loved the car and rowing through the gears, but the clutch and size were always in the back of my mind (5 year old and another due in a few weeks). So I picked up a 2017 BMW M3 Competition, which was a beautiful car. It drove wonderfully and was a real animal with the DCT and Competition package. But I just never fell in love with it and ended up selling it 5 months later. Fortunately, I was able to pull in a small profit on the sale :)

This brings me to my current dilemma. There just doesn't seem to be anything on the market that has the wow factor in the family sport sedan arena. I had my eye on an ATS-V, but the back seats are ludicrously small. The CTS-V seems to be maintaining values in the mid to upper $60's...feel that's a bit much. Thought about the Panamera...but it's not exactly pretty.

What's out there today that I may be overlooking or would be a worthwhile test drive? I'd prefer to be under $60K, sedan, and AWD/RWD are both options...

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Seems like the RS3 is low hanging fruit and the obvious choice. ;):)

Stg 1 E85 and you will never peel the smile off your face.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
RS3 in Nardo Grey

Done

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
I know Kia doesn't come to mind for most people, but have you looked at the AWD Stinger? Believe it's a Twin Turbo V6 in the AWD trim, but I haven't kept up with the changes.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
The Stinger is an awesome option too.

GolfARGH

Passed Driver's Ed
I ended up biting the bullet and picking up a 2017 ATS-V in crystal white today. The car only has 15,000 miles, CPO (warranty through mid-2023), carbon fiber package and Recaro seats...

The RS3 is demanding a significant premium in/around Chicago, and I've just always been drawn to the sharp edges of the ATS-V. On the plus side, it's significantly cheaper to insure than the M3.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
If it wasn't for it's questionable reliability, my suggestion would have been a Giulia Quadrifoglio. Can get them with under ~15k miles for between $50k - $60k. I think those things look amazing.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Man, I forgot about the Stinger. Someone on Vortex just sold his MK6 R to Carvana for $28k somehow and bought a Stinger and seems really happy with it so far.

If it wasn't for it's questionable reliability, my suggestion would have been a Giulia Quadrifoglio. Can get them with under ~15k miles for between $50k - $60k. I think those things look amazing.

Yeah, while not the end all be all the 4 Season Quadrifolglio Automobile magazine had was a damn hanger queen at the dealer. Even did the standard Alfa thing of having a fault the dealer couldn't find a reason for.....which then just went away. LOL Gorgeous cars, but they live up to the Alfa legend.

The RS3 is demanding a significant premium in/around Chicago, and I've just always been drawn to the sharp edges of the ATS-V. On the plus side, it's significantly cheaper to insure than the M3.

Weird, can be found all day long for $50-55k.....maybe a short drive but hey, I drove 6 hours one way to get my R. :LOL:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...er=false&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&numRecords=25

That's a 2020 with 3600 miles under 60k right there ;)

Congrats on the new car, the ATS-V is mean looking you're right with those knife like edges and angles.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Surprised the Kia Stinger isn’t on your radar. Gets great reviews and it looks pretty cool and it MOVES. Also a full size sedan for dad duties

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Surprised the Kia Stinger isn’t on your radar. Gets great reviews and it looks pretty cool and it MOVES. Also a full size sedan for dad duties

Let me preface this with saying I think the Stinger is a fantastic car. Have a buddy who wants to buy one within the next few months. But I can guarantee you that nobody ever goes from a BMW to a Kia, no matter how nice the Kia is.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I ended up biting the bullet and picking up a 2017 ATS-V in crystal white today. The car only has 15,000 miles, CPO (warranty through mid-2023), carbon fiber package and Recaro seats...

The only thing I didn't like about my wife's ATS turbo was it was really a 2 person car, not really comfortable for 4. However it handles well and had very good power. I just had the 2.0T version which was still quite nice. I really like the CTS-V which has a usable back seat and of course another 100 or so hp. Got to drive one on the track and it was a lot of fun.

If I had been quicker I would have told you to look for a newer S6 (twin turbo V-8) or S8. I was going to get an S8 but I got a great deal on an A8L TDI and love it.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
A8L TDI sounds awesome. Model year?

Bought it 2 years ago, with 34,000 miles on it for 33,500 dollars. Found after buying it the guy never did the fix on it from the Audi/VW settlement. After getting the fix done Audi paid me a settlement of 9600 dollars and Bosch also named in the suit sent 1600 dollars. So got the car for about 22,500!! Had no idea that was going to happen. This is my second A8, first one was a 2007A8 4.2, this one is a 2014 Black with Tan interior. I chipped this one (3.0T diesel V-6) and it is quicker than my 4.2 up to about 80 or so because of all the torque (495ftlb). On the road it gets about 34-36 miles per gallon depending on terrain. Great car, so comfy. Handles quite well for a large sedan.

Pic of both of them