GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warning: 1896 software disaster.

Bunky

This isn’t intended to scare anyone, but I feel obliged to write this note of caution, as so many of the posts on this great thread have kept me sane and informed over the last year.

My 2020 Style went in for a new steering rack (after only 10,000 miles?!) under warranty several weeks ago, during which they attempted to apply 1896. The update crashed, frying one of the ECU’s resulting in the car lying dead for 46 days. After much stress and legal back and forth, I managed to persuade the dealer to buy the car back at market value. The car is still stuck in a brick-like state in their lot and won’t be fixed “for months”. During this encounter, the manager admitted that the software is still largely unstable and has “never been finished”.

My strong advice would be: if your car is tolerable currently, hold off getting the new update for another couple of months until it’s ironed out. My experience is hopefully an isolated and unlucky incident, but suffice to say I’ll be avoiding VW for the foreseeable future. Also worth noting that VW neglected to even respond to the formal complaint I opened.

I’m really gutted as I loved this car when I got it a year ago, but it was nothing short of a nightmare more or less from day one.

Sending you all best wishes and good luck.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
I agree with the ‘holding off if it ain’t broke‘ point. Following the new steering wheel (no more Travel Assist/Emergency Assist dings) and the 91BU software update for the OCU (which fixed the greyed out globe issues) our 2020 Style on 1668 has been behaving perfectly. Not rushing to get the 1896 update….

Last edited:

Bunky

I agree with the ‘holding off if it ain’t broke‘ point. Following the new steering wheel (no more Travel Assist/Emergency Assist dings) and the 91BU software update for the OCU (which fixed the greyed out globe issues) our 2020 Style on 1668 has been behaving perfectly. Not rushing to get the 1896 update….
Glad to hear that! I had been pushing for a new steering wheel for months but they never did it.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I could be wrong but I have a feeling that this has nothing to do with the update itself but rather a problem from a control unit that had problems/errors or the Gateway was incompatible (Part number ending with B instead of C).
Also the OCU recall and Service Recall need to be completed to install the 1896 update.
It seems the recall 91CU is rolling out only to those that have the Gateway C control unit.