GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Waze. Who's using? How do you like? Join Up!!!!!!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I learned about Waze app from other members on Forum. I did not see any threads so thought I would share and see if I learn more.
I downloaded Waze a month ago and have been trying it in my small town.
Waze is a navigation app that can also be used to mark road hazards and where Police are pulled over. The users mark these items as they drive by so that others behind them are alerted.
I am likely the only one in my town using this but in bigger cities it works well with more users.

Benefits:
The speed limits for each road are marked and updated in real time.

You can set an alert, "for me" 10mph over speed limit. The light tone is helpful when unposted speeds change or you are one new to you roads.

Navigation is actually good. You have many voices to pick like my UK young lady. "Turn left .1 of a mile".

In heavily used areas, every car on the side of the interstate is marked and you are alerted a good bit ahead. At night this helps to avoid cars with no lights sitting on side of interstate or when objects are in the road. Tire tread.

You can also mark police location. Friday night coming home, I was alerted 1 mile out and sure enough he was on an old rest stop ramp with no lights on.

The program will also ask you to verify if the object still needs to be tagged or if it is clear, car moved. So as more people use, the data is more up to date.

I like the program. Works best with many users and bigger cities.

Try it and help out your fellow MK7 owners.

Last edited:

mk7_305

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been using it for years now. I was a bit concerned when Google acquired them a few years back but the only changes I've noticed have been positive. Now that they're sharing traffic data with different municipalities, it'll be interesting to see how it evolves even more. But overall, I think it's a great tool and highly encourage people to try it out.

Last edited:

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
I like it as well for longer trips on the freeway, especially for the police alerts. It does a pretty good job finding ways around traffic too but every once in a while the routes it suggests can be more trouble than it's worth (example: exit freeway then immediately merge again). Definitely worth having on your phone overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Negatives.

It can be a little hard to enter details while driving.
It can ask for to many details that ones does not have time for when driving.
Being more familiar with the options might help.
I would like it to be voice activated.

Waze!
Hazard side of road!
Mark!

Faster and easier.

2slowvw

I'm a map editor for Waze, been using it for years. I use it for cops mostly because I my area people are pretty good about marking them.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I also have been using it for years purely for traffic conditions, Scamera vans are also on there.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I've used Waze for years, on routes where I don't even need navigation, simply for cop detection and rerouting in case of accident. It kicks ass.

In conjunction with my Redline radar detector, it's a nice hedge against tickets.

Now I just need to install a set of AL Priority laser jammers and I'll be in stealth mode. But them bitches cost as much as a few tickets, so not sure if it's even worth it, other than the fact I'm a slut for technology and would really enjoy running them and ticking off my state cops, who love running laser.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Love waze, just really wished it worked with either android auto or apple car play. Since getting my MK7 my useage of it has dropped due to this

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
its a requisite for the DMV area.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
its a requisite for the DMV area.

There was an article in the Washington Post about neighborhoods hating Waze because it was routing traffic through their streets when the beltway backed up.

Poor Maryland suburbanites. Boo hoo.

Waze definitely showed me some new roads I never knew existed in Anne Arundel County. :D

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
There was an article in the Washington Post about neighborhoods hating Waze because it was routing traffic through their streets when the beltway backed up.

Poor Maryland suburbanites. Boo hoo.

Waze definitely showed me some new roads I never knew existed in Anne Arundel County. :D

Screw the suburbanites. And screw Maryland. Yeah I said it, so what?

EXEA189

Ready to race!
Negatives.

It can be a little hard to enter details while driving.
It can ask for to many details that ones does not have time for when driving.
Being more familiar with the options might help.
I would like it to be voice activated.

Waze!
Hazard side of road!
Mark!

Faster and easier.

In settings, you can enable voice commands which are activated with a three (3) finger tap to the screen. Use Waze for navigation even on routes where you know where you're going, because its crowd sourcing will route you around traffic that you didn't know is ahead of you. Also, if you use planned drives, Waze will take into account traffic updates/changes and notify you when it's time to leave. Additionally, you can share your drive and it will send a real-time ETA to those with whom you share your drive with - helps when trying to coordinate arrival times.

Last edited:

AJ15

Ready to race!
I've tried to use it -- mostly as a gauge to see how long it's going to take me to get to work. I don't use it for actual directions very often.

Say you've set your destination and have chosen your route. 1/2 way through your drive, you decide you don't want to go that route and just decide to make your own way. It seems to me that Waze just keeps trying to get you back to your original route, rather than realizing what you're doing and adjusting to you. Google Maps seems to be OK with you changing your route and adjusting itself to what you're doing.

I have no definitive data to prove this assumption, but has anyone seem this and can confirm/explain either way?

Either way, this is now kind of a moot point since I have CarPlay and can only really use Apple Maps for the time being. :mad: