GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

We Connect does not!

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
My We Connect has stopped sending information from my car to my iPhone. I tried deleting the App and downloading it again but to no avail. Am I unreasonable to expect everything on a VW to work?

Martinbury

Passed Driver's Ed
My We Connect has stopped sending information from my car to my iPhone. I tried deleting the App and downloading it again but to no avail. Am I unreasonable to expect everything on a VW to work?
Not at all unreasonable. I believe VW built their reputation for reliability on the mechanical Golfs of the 80’s and 90’s which I adored. I‘m now on my 6th of the 8 generations and seem to have more issues with the MK8 than in total with the other 5, in just 2 months of ownership. Seems to me that whilst the Golf remains mechanically sound, it is a different story electronically. It‘s a long time since I’ve heard the words ‘If only everything in life is as reliable as a Volkswagen’. There’s obviously a reason for that!
I’ve had no problems connecting to the app at all, but on 4 occasions, it’s told me that my lights are on, when a quick look in the garage confirms they are not. Not much help if you can’t rely on what it is telling you.

T-bro

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had one issue with the app in the very first day of ownership. It decided to disconnect all my connected services for my car within the app. It resolved on its own though. Since then I have not had any issues with the app.

VW obviously rushed the Golf 8 to market because of the Diesel Gate scandal where they lost millions. Mechanically all is good but software was severely rushed. Patches are coming but rather slowly.

giovanotti

Passed Driver's Ed
I had app and deleted it from phone. Useless for me (1664), if I cannot send address to cars own navigation system. I have Carplay for that.
To monitor to fuel consumption: why would I need that? More throttle: bigger consumption and vice versa. Simple as that.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Taken your advice. Deleted the We Won’t Connect App. Don’t need it! It doesn’t work. So f**k it! Have something similar on my motorcycle but I never bothered to download it so why bother with it on the car.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Well I use the WeConnect app, to check if my car is locked/unlocked, windows open, Where the car is, I have zone triggers so that when it leaves the house I get a notification on the phone. I don't really use Vw maps anyway as I use Google maps. Plus I have the eHybrid so I can switch on the Air-con and check the electric charging. Also i get a notification when the car alarm goes off. A couple of times it was not working and the problem was with VW servers.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Just for a laugh I have downloaded the App again. Still not working. Obviously I’m not surprised. Why would it now work when it hasn’t worked since the 25th June. Poo and piles spring to mind!

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
It doesn’t show any current information. Things like petrol and electric range and Driving Data shows the situation on the 25th June and nothing since. Pulling down the screen on my phone and holding down for the latest vehicle data it comes up with the message in green saying that the information is up to date. No it’s not! Another time it says at the bottom of the screen ‘Update: Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later.’

Perhaps the car’s SIM fell off when went down a bumpy road?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Then i think it is a problem with the communication with the car, the telematic unit. I know of those that had this unit changed or software updated. They updated mine a few months ago even if for the wrong reason😂. I told them imy wifi 5Ghz was not working but they understood the lte connection was not working🤦‍♂️. Anyway contact the weconnect helpline and they will look into what is wrong… yes you will loose time… my car is 7 weeks in the workshop.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
7 weeks! Gordon Bennet! My car is going to the dealer on Wednesday for two days for the intermittent issue of the ACC confusing mph with kph. Will mention the We Connect not working. I suspect they will update the software from 1664 to 1668. Perhaps they might do it over night so as not to block the workshop with cars just plugged into a laptop.

Have to say have no confidence in the outcome and suspect the car will have more faults after the update than before.

VeliVel

You have to enter a pin every time you start the car if you connect with the app don’t you? That is if right defo not worth it, already have to lane assist off not adding more steps.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
No you don't. I have it that it doesn't ask for the S-Pin. There should be a setting in the infotainment to disable the S-Pin.
Also with Vag-coding it is possible to activate the lane assist memory function so that if you turn it off it will stay off until you reenable it.

Last edited:

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
I‘ve had two occurrences of the car losing connection with VW servers since it was updated to 1668 in January 2021.

When this happens the globe on the top right of the infotainment screen is greyed out (when you’re in the least restrictive privacy settings).

On both occasions, the connection was lost over a weekend, and both times it reconnected all by itself after around 7 days.

I am convinced this is a problem on the VW server side which is resolved when the servers are routinely reset or updated. It is not associated with poor signal strength since the connection was lost when the car was parked at home, where signal strength is good. Nor is it to do with the We Connect app - the reason that is not receiving data is because the servers aren’t receiving from the car.

Doing a hard reset does not help - it only loses the many personalised settings and presets.

The latest time ours lost connection was sometime between noon on Sat 26th June and 08:00 on Mon 28th. It reconnected sometime between 17:00 on Mon 5 July and 08:00 on Tue 6th.

@Maturedriver - I think yours lost connection about the same time as mine - has it reconnected yet?

Interestingly, even after ours reconnected, the We Connect app is not showing any journeys for the period it was disconnected. These must be uploaded in real time and, if the e-Sim is disconnected, then the upload fails and is not received by the server.

But the main point is, if your car loses connection, best thing is just to wait for a week and it should reconnect by itself….

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I actually know a few that were able to reconnect to the server by removing the cable from the battery for a minute and this will restart the telematic unit.You will get a few errors with the sensors but after a few km's it's all good. Yes it is also true that there are problems with VW servers. It happened to me twice this year and reconnected without a hiccup but some others would not connect so hence the battery trick.