GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Well this happened on the drive home yesterday

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
at fault person getting angry at anyone other than themselves is a special level of ass-hattery. These are ones to be punished with an extra few grand on top of your cost.
They always try to find an excuse as to why it wasn't their fault. That's the new rule today play the victim.
Disgusting.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Damn, sorry dude. Hate to see stuff like that but at least you're Okay. You said your son was in the car with you. I'm sure he was rattled as hell considering it was on his side... I hate a$$hole drivers.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Sorry man. Hope you can get it fixed quickly and like new.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Yep, I was just going to say that. VA does diminished value. Won't be like winning the lottery, but it'll be worth the work
Have you actually gone through the process and got a return on it? I'll look up what's involved I just never actually meet anyone who has done this that I know of.

cb1111

Have you actually gone through the process and got a return on it? I'll look up what's involved I just never actually meet anyone who has done this that I know of.
Yes, I have. I got rear-ended at a stoplight 7 years ago. Before rush hour about 5:30am. The intersection had two lanes in either direction. After the traffic light the right lane goes away. I was in the right lane as I was turning right and was the first person at the light. There were a couple of cars coming up in the left lane and one was going to turn left. Behind me, coming up fast was a Mercedes who tried to sneak into the left lane between my car and the guy approaching the light wanting to turn left.

He didn't make it and hit my TSX wagon on the left rear. The impact pushed me into the intersection and into the cement center divider on the cross street, scraping the bottom of the front spoiler. A cop pulled up a few minutes later by coincidence and gave the Mercedes driver a citation. His car was a total loss - airbags deployed, radiator leaking, oil or brake fluid leaking, hood, fender, passenger wheel all wonky. He was going about 40 when he hit me.

My car drove (I tossed the rear bumper cover into the hatch) OK with some squirrely alignment issues but nothing significant. The following day I drove by the Acura dealer and said "what will you give me for the car once it is fixed and give me a price on a new one". They gave me a price of $23k (IIRC) and $31k for the new one. I asked what bodyshop to take it to (remember that I wasn't going to keep the car and didn't care about the repair - I just wanted the dealership to take ownership of the repair). I went through the Mercedes' insurance and they offered me a Kia Rio as a rental - I pitched a fit and got a Mazda 6 (not a bad car).

When all was said and done, the repairs were about $12k. From the bodyshop, I drove to an independent appraiser and had the repair appraised. A couple of weeks later I got the appraisal back ($300?). The pre accident value was $27k and the post accident/repair value was $22.5k - so the diminished value was $4500 plus the appraisal fee, so $4800. The repair wasn't that great (which caused the high diminished value) and there were a couple of areas where I would have gone back to the bodyshop to complain and get it fixed but it wasn't my problem.

Just for grins, I drove by CARMAX on my way to the Acura dealer to switch cars. They offered me $17k because of the bodywork.

This was Maryland and the laws there required the insurance company to pay the amount that the appraiser valued the difference at plus the cost of the appraisal without any negotiations - so the insurance company can't say "yeah, we know the appraiser said the difference is $4800, but we'll offer you $2.95 and a Burger King coupon"

I submitted the request to the insurance company and after a couple of emails they paid up.

cb1111

On another note - were there any injuries? If so, then you might want to get an atty.

Feel free to PM me if you want.