GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What all do I need to replace when changing front shocks?

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Hey there,

Just replaced my rear shocks about a month ago, but realized I needed to do the fronts as well. I've seen it posted before, deep within all the suspension threads I've dug through that bolts and other hardware need to be replaced.

I'm doing a swap from OEM to bilsteins, so no need for anything regarding lowering assistance. Are there any solid kits you all are aware of that include everything? Any other tips or suggestions would help too. I know I need to do ball joints and tie rod ends too. Never stops with this car.

So my question is, aside from the shocks (obviously) what else do I need to complete this install?

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Hey there,

Just replaced my rear shocks about a month ago, but realized I needed to do the fronts as well. I've seen it posted before, deep within all the suspension threads I've dug through that bolts and other hardware need to be replaced.

I'm doing a swap from OEM to bilsteins, so no need for anything regarding lowering assistance. Are there any solid kits you all are aware of that include everything? Any other tips or suggestions would help too. I know I need to do ball joints and tie rod ends too. Never stops with this car.

So my question is, aside from the shocks (obviously) what else do I need to complete this install?

Tons of good videos on Youtube. Mkv or Mk6 pretty much same. I just put coilovers on my car last week. Here is a MKV video, really well done, lists out all the tools you will need.

Things like joints and ends are part of steering system and not part of what you "must" do to install new front shocks.

This is just one of many videos you could use. I didn't use one but if it was my first time this is where I would go.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Replace the strut mounts front and rear. Replace the front strut bearings. Check your bump stops and boots to see if they are in good shape. If they are in bad shape, now would be the time to replace them. ECS sells hardware kits if you want to replace all the hardware, but it includes the front axle bolts which I don't think are necessary. Frankly I think you are good reusing the hardware, or just replacing the strut mount bolts. Also, buy the strut spreader tool as well and save yourself some headaches.