GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What broke on your 2.5 since you own it?

marksix

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, I thought it would be fun to start this kind of thread. This way we can know what are some common problems for the MK6 2.5. :)

I bought the car with 87 000 kms on the odo and it is now at 120 000 kms.

During that period of ownership I had to repair 2 things:

- Crankshaft sensor at 90 000 kms
- Exhaust sleeve clamp at 119 000 kms

What about you?

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
I've been lucky so far! Only had to replace the rear wheel bearings around 60,000

Although... I did rip off the passenger side door once.....

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

gdub09

Ready to race!
Notorious for leaking vacuum pumps

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Great Thread! From latest to oldest.

Exhaust sleeve clamp leak and rattle at 214000 km, still to be replaced.

Maintenance: Replaced Spark plugs with cheap Copper one, did not replace the coils.

Maintenance: Front Lower Control Arm Bushings, shimmy indicated worn bushings, maybe about 180000 km.

Maintenance: Dorman PCV Diaphragm Kit installed, wasn't leaking.

Left CV Boot, not sure :iono: maybe self inflected when I replaced the Front Wheel Bearing.

Left Front Wheel Bearing, forgot milage, maybe 140000 km.

AC Condenser leak from rock hit at ~120000 km, R134 leaked out, DIY replace and vacuumed, working ever since.

Maintenance: Spark Plugs and R8 Red Coils, replaced at ~100000 km.

Replace lazy thermostat 95000 km, low heat in the winter, replaced coolant and radiator at the same time, showed pink coolant signs of leak. Replaced Intake manifold and throttle body gaskets as maintenance item(s), as well.

Not alot breaks, pretty reliable car. Maybe under $1000 spent on the car since we owned it.

Last edited:

andrewd

09 MKV Rabbit 09G
73k cooling fan
83k ac compressor
90k cv boot
92k upper chain and vacuum pump reseal
99k valve body
118k lower control arms
119k abs module
123k belts and tensioners
129k valve cover

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
At 80k miles

Gas tank flap servo
PCV Valve
Map Sensor
Oil Dipstick
Headlight (cracking from heat)
TPS Sensors

Those are the only items that I have had issues with that were not maintenance items.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion

Wait, What!? How'd you manage that? Reverse, open door, pole?

Used to work with Fire Depts a bunch and saw a fire engine back into the firehouse with the passenger door open and hit the garage door opening. Fire engine door was unharmed. Firehouse brick wall destroyed. That's how stout a fire engine is built.

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Tie Rod? Think that's what its called...only changed because the dumbass that installed my coils broke it.
MAP senor - Still gives errors (light comes on and off every couple of weeks)
PCV Diaphram

That's about it. Got the car at 44Kms now at 125kms 2.5 years later.

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Wait, What!? How'd you manage that? Reverse, open door, pole?

Used to work with Fire Depts a bunch and saw a fire engine back into the firehouse with the passenger door open and hit the garage door opening. Fire engine door was unharmed. Firehouse brick wall destroyed. That's how stout a fire engine is built.
This was defiantly one of the stupidest things I've done.
The deadly triad

My career, a woman, and a time limit!

I was hanging out with a girl and we had just made plans to go out for dinner, just after I recieved a phone call asking me to come into work within an hour as they were short staffed on an amb. Still being relatively new I didn't want to say no, so I accepted.

So! in a hurry I ran to my car, (usually when I go to work I'm in uniform but since I had dinner plans I decided to bring my uniform and change once there.) So I throw my bags on the passenger seat as usual but don't want to wrinkle my uniform so I popped open the back door and hung it up. I close the door, run around to the driver side slam it in reverse and fly out of the garage. Not realizing that I had not closed the front door only the back...

Destroyed the door and fender. It was quoted at $4000 to fix but I managed to do it myself (and a back yard auto body painter) for $1400.

This was over 3 years ago. Up until literally yesterday (Tuesday Aug 7) I couldn't lock that door and had no power to the mirror.
swapped out the wiring harness with the one from the original door and have it all working now.

The garage was unharmed

(Side note: My air bag light turned on after This. Any ideas?)

marksix

Passed Driver's Ed
Tie Rod? Think that's what its called...only changed because the dumbass that installed my coils broke it.
MAP senor - Still gives errors (light comes on and off every couple of weeks)
PCV Diaphram

That's about it. Got the car at 44Kms now at 125kms 2.5 years later.

Damn you drive a lot!

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
Damn you drive a lot!

Yup! 750kms a week back and forth to work (I do a lot of oil changes). Plus where ever I go on the weekends. The Benz is the family\wifes SUV. Got that around the same time with 41kms and now its around 72kms lol.

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
I've been lucky so far! Only had to replace the rear wheel bearings around 60,000

I forgot!

A rodent got in and chewed up my wiring harness one winter. $9333 in repairs! Insurance covered it though

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I forgot!

A rodent got in and chewed up my wiring harness one winter. $9333 in repairs! Insurance covered it though

Ok. You've had some bad luck. If it makes you feel any better I slid into a curb in the snow/ice. I turned the wheel and car kept going straight. Took it to the dealer thinking I just bent a tie rod and $9000 and 7weeks later I got my car back. They replaced everything on the drivers side of the car. Insurance paid for it but personally I think they got scammed.

Edit: Actually that was my TDI but since so much of it still exists in my 2.5 and they are cosmetically identical I consider them the same car.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Car was problem free through the first 120k-ish:

Discovered oil on coils at 120kmwhen replacing plugs and coils - did the valve cover gasket.

Exhaust sleeve around this time as well.

Blower motor around 130Km - sounded like a banshee for about 30 seconds on start-up in the winter for about two years though.

Did the MLue approved PVC replacement before any issues occurred.

Brakes have been done twice. Just did the e-brake spring.

Other than that tip-top over 140K with oil every 6-7k and an alignment every year and after new rubber.

Feels like my endlinks are close and likely doing a full suspension overhaul this fall. Haven't had to do a wheel bearing yet.

Rear ended and had the trunk and bumper replaced. All cosmetic aside from the whiplash.

Oh ya....drivers window is slightly out of the guides after this winter(like a clip broke close to the B pillar). There's a slight rattle when the window is partially down. Widnow is still perfectly aligned. Bit of a pain to fix when I realised that you have to take the door skin off.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
You guys realize that compared to a GTI that this is a "cake walk". I may have missed it but besides Rickybobbi's MAP Sensor issue, can't recall any mention of any Error Codes in any of the post so far.