GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
you hit the jackpot 😆
My wife wants to move somewhere warm, I'll take it as well but we've got a fair amount anchoring us here at the moment. Someday though, we're gonna move to a sunny, warm state and have fun cars (she wants a 911 GT3). And someone will wonder WTF was going on at our house when they see the garage minus the toolboxes and accessories, because it doesn't make any sense without them.
I found the perfect one for you today.
D4530BAF-4053-48C1-BDC3-4D88BFCB9E35.jpeg

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
you hit the jackpot 😆
Oh I really did. She turns wrenches, cooks and bakes, loves to try new foods, and likes the plaid in the GTI. She's an animal person too, and will occasionally play racing video games.

I think I'm out of inexpensive things to do on the GTI now. I'll see about getting a quote for getting the bumper damage fixed this week, and then it's pretty much wait until fall when I can order a downpipe.

@Treadup oh no, that's the perfect one for her. It's her dream car, and while I'm sure I'll get to drive it, if we get one it'll be hers. She's a hellaciously talented driver where I'm all clutch feet.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Today was a long, and only somewhat productive one.

Got shut down early by hardware issues with my used WaveTrac, so I’ll be waiting yet another week for a ARP nut (ruined a brand new tap trying to chase out a booger’d one).

Also got ultra sketchy with the press swapping out damaged studs, and then again R&D testing out some ideas for 5x114 BRZ hubs (they come 5x100).

Tried out my Kukko inside bearing pullers (very nice), and went big purchasing a third size since I’ll be waiting on the ARP M9 x 1.0 12 point chromoly nut.
3558D801-7A11-46D0-8844-37C365B38916.jpeg
19B13DCB-9923-4428-BBFD-BACE236597EF.jpeg
07FFE8DE-D90D-4952-8803-5BF777C3B222.jpeg
90EA3E16-2C81-43C0-8F1D-5A715F96435A.jpeg
809437AB-CC05-4205-8DDF-F6250FCD4ACC.jpeg
FD262780-2477-4849-B677-42844688A247.jpeg
CC172C14-4B01-4872-8642-F4BD67EFD734.jpeg
D7E3D304-6B65-4917-8570-DAF4672BB401.jpeg

Also, FUCK DKM. They finally got around to telling me they’re in no way concerned they ruined my transmission.

F9BD8A25-01CF-4BA4-B28E-4BD0034392CB.jpeg

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
@GTI Jake not sure if you're aware of these or not, but I've heard a lot of good things about these on Garage Journal.

https://www.swagoffroad.com/products/swag-machined-arbor-press-plates-pair

It would seem the HF press plates are known for occasionally exploding(?), and these were recommended as a far superior/safer alternative.
Super shitty about the DKM thing though. The email suggests that Competition Clutch, Vengeance Clutch, and DKM Clutch are all the same company/under the same umbrella, which is surprising because I thought that Competition Clutch had a pretty decent reputation.

What's your plan moving forward, as far as clutch solution?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Kukko pullers in action!

Tools You Didn’t Know You Need, Pro Edition; Kukko Inside Bearing Pullers! (SOOOO SATISFYING)
https://youtube.com/shorts/uI4XL1C08cw?feature=share

@GTI Jake not sure if you're aware of these or not, but I've heard a lot of good things about these on Garage Journal.

https://www.swagoffroad.com/products/swag-machined-arbor-press-plates-pair

It would seem the HF press plates are known for occasionally exploding(?), and these were recommended as a far superior/safer alternative.
Super shitty about the DKM thing though. The email suggests that Competition Clutch, Vengeance Clutch, and DKM Clutch are all the same company/under the same umbrella, which is surprising because I thought that Competition Clutch had a pretty decent reputation.

What's your plan moving forward, as far as clutch solution?

I already bought a ACT single disc, but had a buyer lined up for my DKM (hoping to recoup a little of the $5,700 I’ve spent on fixing/modding while I’m at it).

I’ll have to check those plates out! Not gonna lie my buddies & I got a little wild with the POS press more than once (I’ve bent it a few places).

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Heading home tonight from a long project here in Ohio. Looking forward to starting up the GTI tonight and taking her for a spin.
I have the Macan calipers to instal after I paint them. I have red G2 caliper paint I bought initially. Thought about powder coating them but no one will do it local. I’m going to take my time with the G2 and maybe even wet sand them after. I have no clue what I’m doing when it comes to paint but at least they’re calipers.
The power coating on mine turned dark maroon after 2 track days. I wish I'd just painted.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
The power coating on mine turned dark maroon after 2 track days. I wish I'd just painted.

The powder coating on the ones I did has been holding up fine.

But at the same time, they probably have never really gotten super hot.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Swapped to summer setup.
IMG_20230329_123146.jpg

IMG_20230329_131652.jpg

Always clean and coat breaks every swap.
IMG_20230329_123442.jpg

Wheels get cleaned and light coating of protection each year.
IMG_20230329_145318.jpg

And Boom, Summer ready.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I have tomorrow to myself so my plan is to start on them. I don’t plan on stripping the black coating that comes on the Macan calipers off. I don’t want to disassemble so I will be masking them off well and taking my time.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Was gonna do carbon cleaning today but its been cloudy and overcast all day :mad: 2016 with 51K; 99% of the time 92 octane used, IHX475/tuned for about a year. Used CRC intake valve cleaner about 30K. My drive intervals are short (less than 10 miles a day). Watched The Humble Mechanics intake manifold removal video like 10 times. Other members have done it (Daks, Acadia18/dtfd) and figure it should be relatively easy. No compressor as I live in a apartment building so was gonna use CRC intake valve cleaner and brake cleaner as the chemical agents. Maybe next week ;)

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Was gonna do carbon cleaning today but its been cloudy and overcast all day :mad: 2016 with 51K; 99% of the time 92 octane used, IHX475/tuned for about a year. Used CRC intake valve cleaner about 30K. My drive intervals are short (less than 10 miles a day). Watched The Humble Mechanics intake manifold removal video like 10 times. Other members have done it (Daks, Acadia18/dtfd) and figure it should be relatively easy. No compressor as I live in a apartment building so was gonna use CRC intake valve cleaner and brake cleaner as the chemical agents. Maybe next week ;)

you-can.gif

It really isn't that bad getting the manifold off. Getting it on is slightly more of a PITA, but even that's not that bad.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have tomorrow to myself so my plan is to start on them. I don’t plan on stripping the black coating that comes on the Macan calipers off. I don’t want to disassemble so I will be masking them off well and taking my time.
I'm thinking about wet sanding the powder coating, then just painting them. I have some red G2 sitting where my intercooler used to sit.