GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What does this damage mean

stuinew

Hi,

Today my wife damaged the area
IMG_20220715_160005690.jpg
below the driver door and I am not sure how bad that is.

It was in a parking lot, she heard a noise and when she got to the parking spot there was the ornament on that side dragging behind.
She did not realize that the metal underneath got damaged...
I suspect she scraped on a curb protecting the parking meter.

Is it affecting safety, how much would it cost to repair, etc?

I will go to a service too as I am sure I can't fix this on my own, but asking here first to understand if this is a safety issue.

Posting picture, you can see the metal was "broken", I can see two edges. You can also see how beautiful I am :p.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
I don't see anything bad. +1 on cosmetic only. Unless the metal underneath has damage 1-2 hrs labor plus >200 parts

stuinew

:). To be honest I am proud that she overcame her fears and now is driving daily.
And again to be honest, this is kind of her first "accident".
I had a much worse one, I touched a pedestrian on the crosswalk...
Luckily I was not really moving so no harm done, but now I know why you are not allowed to make a turn on the crosswalk.

And one more where I thought I have the right of way when I was not - again not serious, nobody got injured.

And another one, not my fault this time, but I think I could have realized the other driver was not giving me the right of way - hit me on the right hand side B pillar - luckily I was alone in the car so nobody on the right hand side to get injured...

So overall I have a worse record than her, although I can say that I understand more of what is happening with a car when driving...

Now, regarding the damage, I will try to put things back in place but I am not sure I will be able to put the trim back without taking the car to a body shop, as there is a dent, I am not sure the clips can catch in the right places...
The two metal sheets are not separated, will try to get them back, but the dent I am not sure I can fix, as I do not have access to the inside of that part of the body.

Will give an update when I get this resolved, good thing is that it is not structural...

Yesterday I was looking for cars, now I think I will stick with the plan and keep this car for as much as possible.

stuinew

Yes, there is a dent in the rocker panel (if I understand the name of that body part correctly) - that was my structural concern.
It is not big, but I am paranoid about the safety aspects of driving (although I just recently replaced the rear shocks on my own) so I don't know what I will end up doing.
Especially since I am still dreaming of tracking this car...

Maybe it’s me, the rocker looks crushed in the center-ish area. It would be covered, but i don’t know how well the cover will sit.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Yes, there is a dent in the rocker panel (if I understand the name of that body part correctly) - that was my structural concern.
It is not big, but I am paranoid about the safety aspects of driving (although I just recently replaced the rear shocks on my own) so I don't know what I will end up doing.
Especially since I am still dreaming of tracking this car...
Structurally the car is ok, there’s no frame component involved there. So tracking the car will be fine, it’s cosmetic like the others stated.