GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is better than the OBDEleven??

vik_golf

Great new mk7 Golf customizations available in the Carista app

Works with any Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and looks absolutely gorgeous!
There are new Golf customizations available in v3.2 that just came out.

Check it out and tell me what you think about its functionality?

You can see what features it supports for your model over here: Supported Vehicles

Much appreciated,
Vik

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Great new mk7 Golf customizations available in the Carista app

Works with any Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and looks absolutely gorgeous!
There are new Golf customizations available in v3.2 that just came out.

Check it out and tell me what you think about its functionality?

You can see what features it supports for your model over here: Supported Vehicles

Much appreciated,
Vik

Does this product support long coding and adaptation access or does it not? Because if it does not, you can in no way claim that it's better than OBDEleven.

I am also very curious/skeptical about bluetooth OBD adapters that work with iOS, because I purchased 4 different ELM327 adapters over the past few years and my iPhones would never ever see them as parable bluetooth devices. There's a good write up on "why" that is here: https://www.lifewire.com/elm327-iphone-adapter-doesnt-work-534643

Last edited:

cagti

Passed Driver's Ed
I am also very curious/skeptical about bluetooth OBD adapters that work with iOS, because I purchased 4 different ELM327 adapters over the past few years and my iPhones would never ever see them as parable bluetooth devices. There's a good write up on "why" that is here: https://www.lifewire.com/elm327-iphone-adapter-doesnt-work-534643

It doesn't make much of a difference in practice but I believe the linked article is somewhat inaccurate. iOS does support the serial port profile. However, Apple requires that Bluetooth accessories cryptographically authenticate themselves using a proprietary chip that the vendor must buy from Apple. Most dongles don't do this to avoid the Apple tax and so iOS refuses to recognize them.

The good news is that this only applies to 'Classic' Bluetooth. The authentication requirement is completely gone for Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and any device can connect if the appropriate app is installed. The market should get better for OBD2 and iOS as vendors create more BLE dongles.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
However, Apple requires that Bluetooth accessories cryptographically authenticate themselves using a proprietary chip that the vendor must buy from Apple. Most dongles don't do this to avoid the Apple tax and so iOS refuses to recognize them..

Apple does not vend proprietary BT chips to anyone...

The W1 tech they just came out with maybe, but not standard BT at all.

cagti

Passed Driver's Ed
Apple does not vend proprietary BT chips to anyone...

The W1 tech they just came out with maybe, but not standard BT at all.

Apple does not sell BT chips but it does sell MFi authentication chips which can be used to authenticate serial ports over Bluetooth or through the connector. It's difficult to point to much discussion because the MFi (Made for iDevice) program is heavily NDA'd, however here is one discussion about it:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ion-with-ios-devices-over-serial-port-profile

Last edited:

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like autocorrect got you when you tried vagcom, aka vcds. :p

Ya that was it, thanks for bailing me out. Actually I posted it knowing it would give someone having a bad day a chance to make themselves feel better by shitting on my admittedly juvenile joke. Can get a tad serious out here at times.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Ya that was it, thanks for bailing me out. Actually I posted it knowing it would give someone having a bad day a chance to make themselves feel better by shitting on my admittedly juvenile joke. Can get a tad serious out here at times.

FWIW, vcds is the very best for vw/audi owners.

If you have a problem or even want to ask a question about coding with vcds, their support is very friendly!

On the serious note:
I'll just leave this here...