GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is latest software version available?

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there any way to find out what the latest software version is for my golf 8 style with the Pro version of the infotainment system.

I currently have version 1664 and have several outstanding issues supposedly being investigated by VW. I know the version available depends on what version of infotainment hardware is installed but have no idea how to find out what that is.

The last time I asked the dealer what the latest software version available for my car is, they told me that they didn't have that information. They just rely on VW to tell them whether to do an update.

I'm wondering whether I should take my car to a different dealer and see what they say.
A77C3040-64A6-4B55-B5C2-C0D89F65456C.jpeg

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Our’s is 1668, updated in Jan 21. This was to rectify the ‘Travel Assist not available’ error.

As far as I know, dealers will not do an update to a later version on request. They will only do it when authorised by VW to rectify a fault. It takes around 5 hours to do the update and VW aren’t going to pay the dealer to do it unless it’s necessary.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
VW dealers don’t have a clue about software. Touch wood most things are working so there is no way I would have my 1664 software upgraded, although I do find the heating/air conditioning turning on as soon as open the car door of my GTE rather annoying. To quote the old adage ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I spoke too soon!!! Went for a drive this evening, because I knew the roads would be quiet due to the football, only to find that when in ACC the car started to read the speed limit signs as kilometres per hour rather than miles per hour. Had the car 8 months and never had this happen before so why the f**k would it start doing this now. Apparently this is a fairly common issue and I suspect dealers haven’t a clue how to sort it.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Our’s is 1668, updated in Jan 21. This was to rectify the ‘Travel Assist not available’ error.

As far as I know, dealers will not do an update to a later version on request. They will only do it when authorised by VW to rectify a fault. It takes around 5 hours to do the update and VW aren’t going to pay the dealer to do it unless it’s necessary.
Yes I was also told by the dealer that they are only permitted to do an update if instructed to do so by VW.

He also told me that they had no information on what updates were available...hence my question.

I made a formal complaint that I had 1664 but other cars had 1668. Eventually I was told that 1668 was not applicable for my car and was the latest. But that was about 3 months ago.

I don't have problems with ACC. I have other niggles which are fairly minor to be honest but I've had the car for 8 months and get no information on when they'll be fixed.

I had a scare last week when I had an error pop up saying my 22 V battery was faulty and not to drive the car. I called out the AA who checked the battery which was fine and the error cleared itself. It makes me feel nervous about setting out on any long drive.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I don't have problems with ACC. I have other niggles which are fairly minor to be honest but I've had the car for 8 months and get no information on when they'll be fixed.
It can take some time for information on fixes, and for fixes to be developed and rolled out.

On the current model Polo GTI, there’s been an issue with a loud noise (almost like the sound of a cow moo-ing) from the rear brakes when reversing. Braking performance isn’t affected but it‘s annoying and embarrassing for owners whose cars are affected by this when they reverse - potentially annoying for people living nearby too, if owners are reversing their cars early in the morning to travel for work.

VW attempted to fix the problem with various software updates, cleaning the brakes, replacing the pads and none of these were successful. They now apparently have a successful fix, but it’s taken them well over two years to get to this position since it was first reported on the VW Polo forum. And the parts needed to fix this issue are currently not available, but on back order!

Last edited:

T-bro

Passed Driver's Ed
I picked my up new GTI Clubsport last week and it came with 1803 software. It still has some quirks about it though...

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Having been told very firmly that software version 1668 was not available for my car, I took it in to the dealer for a minor software update to fix the occasional problem where the infotainment screen goes blank and hey presto it is now on 1668?

Dies anyone in vw actually know anything about their software? This is VW tech support in Germany telling me that 1664 was the latest and 1668 wasn't available for my spec.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Dear aitcheff

In reply to your question does VW actually know anything about their software the answer is very short and simple - NO! They don’t have a bloody clue.

Matter of interest, has the update from 1664 to 1668 made your car better, worse or no different?

I think 1668 is the most current software for our age of car. Newer Mk8s appear to be on software 1788 or 1803 and still have problems despite having newer hardware.

aitcheff

Passed Driver's Ed
Matter of interest, has the update from 1664 to 1668 made your car better, worse or no different
The software update was applied to fix an intermittent problem so too soon to say that it has definitely been fixed. But the system does seem to be a bit more responsive and so far no additional problems have appeared.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
My car is going to the dealer next week in an attempt to sort out the intermittent fault of confusing kph with mph when in cruise control. It’s booked in for 2 days. I guess they will download 1668.

I think VW should have developed a system where all downloads/updates are done online rather than having to go to the dealers. I gather only minor updates are currently done online which might explain why suddenly problems appear where there weren’t problems before due to new software being badly written.

VeliVel

My car is going to the dealer next week in an attempt to sort out the intermittent fault of confusing kph with mph when in cruise control. It’s booked in for 2 days. I guess they will download 1668.

I think VW should have developed a system where all downloads/updates are done online rather than having to go to the dealers. I gather only minor updates are currently done online which might explain why suddenly problems appear where there weren’t problems before due to new software being badly written.
I agree. They need a way to just let the software update without having to mess about. Would love to just update like my phone , tv or computers.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
This article…..
https://electrek.co/2021/07/05/vw-l...are-update-coming-id-electric-vehicle-lineup/

….indicates that VW will issue a major over-the-air software update for its ID range of electric vehicles later this month.

I’m not sure if the hardware/firmware in the ID is the same as the Mk8 Golf, but it tends to back up @Massimo 2323’s intelligence in post# 66 in the Software Update thread which forecast that major ota updates may come to non-EV Skodas and Golfs.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
That’s interesting! I was under the impression that the Mk8 Golf shares the same computery stuff as the ID range. The Golf was probably ignored in this article because it was on a electric website and they wouldn’t dream of mentioning fossil fuelled vehicles 🤔🙄.

My concern would be that older Mk8 Golfs would not be able to do significant over-the-air software updates and will miss out.